51 - Braces first time.

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Mrcf

51 - Braces first time.

#1 Post by Mrcf »

I am a male, living in Austria. Finally I did the decision. I will get braces. I have been at many orthodontists the last years. I always was unsure to get braces. From now on there is no real way back. One lower incisor was extracted yesterday.
I always had a crowding at the lowers and my left canine was really out and was not the support for my jaw. Teeth grinding gave me a different shape and my lower jaw was able to move "free" to the left side with gave me some jaw pain.
I was told to get clear brackets on top 6 and metal for the rest and lower arch. For 18teen month. Have to wait until everything has healed and I have a appointment May 7th. So far no real pain after the extractions and thankfully my dentist bonded my extracted incisor into the hole - of course without the root. So the extraction is not noticeable now. wish me luck and I will keep you updated. Some pictures before and after extraction in the dentist chair.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2018.04.25. Extraction of lower incisor
2018.05.07. Lower ceramic braces

Aler58

Re: 51 - Braces first time.

#2 Post by Aler58 »

Welcome to the over 50's club

Mrcf

#3 Post by Mrcf »

@Aler58 Thanks! My first visit at the ortho was nine years ago. But I did not want to be in braces for personal reasons. But I would have been in the club 40+.

Mrcf

#4 Post by Mrcf »

Officially braced the first time in my life. I had my extraction two weeks ago and was pleased that the space was closed with my extracted shaped tooth. Nobody recognized that I had a missing tooth. And the healing went well. Today was the "big" day and I got really nervous on my way to the ortho office. I was in at 12 and out at 1pm. Thanks to all the posts I was prepared for everything. The Ortho replaced the "fake" tooth and filled the space partly with composite. So there is enough space for my teeth to rotate and move. I only got my lower brackets. I was happy that she gave me clear ones. Because at the consultation she said that she prefers metal on the bottom arch. So this was a surprise as I looked the first time in the mirror. The arch wire was placed by the assistant. Two ligature ties and the rest clear elastics. She took a lot of care on me and explained everything. She is also in braces since a year. So I got tips from a pro. So far so good. 1 hour since out of the office. Next appointment in one month. Keep you updated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mrcf

#5 Post by Mrcf »

24 hours being braced. I did not need to use wax or painkillers. Took my time for cleaning and constantly explore my new hardware with my tongue. And picking my tongue at the end of the arch wire. I also need to have a look to the mirror often. I expected more pressure or any pain. Because I want me feel teeth moving...

Mrcf

#6 Post by Mrcf »

Mrcf wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 3:09 am 24 hours being braced. I did not need to use wax or painkillers. Took my time for cleaning and constantly explore my new hardware with my tongue. And picking my tongue at the end of the arch wire. I also need to have a look to the mirror often. I expected more pressure or any pain. Because I want me feel teeth moving...
Ok. Obviously it took 48 hours for me to get in pain. Thought the first wire was to thin for my teeth. But this was a mistake. It is now only one incisor. But the pain is enough. Can't imagine the pain from more teeth - and upper and lower. My wire was sticking out at my last right molar bracket (tube) for a bit. But it seems that it "shortens". Teeth had started moving. For me this is exiting and new. I know for all of you having or had braces this is all just normal routine.
No wax so far but I am feeling more and more the rubbing at my cheeks. The hooks from my molars and on the brackets are annoying. Don't know if I can follow my intent staying without wax the next days.

Mrcf

#7 Post by Mrcf »

Aler58 wrote: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:56 pm Welcome to the over 50's club
How was your first adjustment? I am interested if anybody took care of your braces in that age? I have for now only lowers and they are ceramic ones. Not really to notice. I have contact with so many people in my business and the reason not starting with braces was always being uncertain. And it is for me still a bit embarrassing.

Mrcf

#8 Post by Mrcf »

It is more than a week that I got my lower braces but on. Got really used to them. Had some pain on one or the other tooth. But notthing I could not handle. I have never uses any wax and so my mouth needed to adjust quickly with the sharp edges and the wire. Eating is normal. But food got stuck every where. As most of you mentioned snacking is not the best idea. Can not see any movement so far. But I am shure it will happen.

Mrcf

#9 Post by Mrcf »

My first bracket popped of. I was a bit to optimistic. I was eating Pizza and.... How often does this happen? Due to weekend and public holiday I have to stay with the loose bracket until Tuesday. Another "toy" for my tongue to explore and get irritated.

EmilyTravels

#10 Post by EmilyTravels »

I have lost four brackets, but all were on my second molars, which are all crowned. They just didn't stick that well the first time. Once I got them replaced, they have never budged since. It's pretty common, no matter what you eat or don't eat. Three of mine came off when I wasn't even eating, and the other came off while eating a brownie!

Mrcf

#11 Post by Mrcf »

During the weekend a second bracket popped off. One was replaced by a metal on - it is much smaller and fits mor perfect with my bite. Got the same archwire size but metal ligatures insted of o rings on all teeth. Does anybody know why?
I was in and out prity quick - my ortho was in hurry. So no way to ask her...
The negative effect is tht the ceramic bracket feel more sharpe now, because the o rings covered the edges. Needed to use wax for the first time emediatly.

Mrcf

#12 Post by Mrcf »

Thought to post a picture of little progress the first 3 Weeks. Not much but... I can deffinelty see and feel 2 gaps opening up at my front teeth. The “extension” on one of my front teeth to cover the extraction gap was already filed down at my emergency visit to replace 2 lost brackets a week ago. But it looks like it is still to big and prevent my tooth for further moving in the extraction gap. Front teeth feel loose and I am happy the are fixed in the wire. So far so good. Sorry for the wax I needed for 3 days. Now all the irritations are gone...

Mrcf

#13 Post by Mrcf »

:gavel: week 3 from - 80 or so....

Mrcf

#14 Post by Mrcf »

Had my appointment on monday. 5 weeks after I got my braces. She filed down my filling which covered the extraction hole. Then she blocked my 3 lower incisors with a steel wire. She wanted more resistance to let my fang tooth come in line. New wire. From 0,14 to 0,16. And again steel ligatures on all teeth.
Only a little discomfort. Expected more pressure or pain. Teeth are moving. Slowly.

Mrcf

#15 Post by Mrcf »

I lost my molar bracket. It is clued on a ceramic crown and my ortho said that it is difficult to glue it.
It is the one with the tube for the wire. It is my third bracket that came of in 6 weeks and I only have 11 on my teeth... Had anyone the same?