Braces at 28...Mixed Emotions

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jessmckaus

Braces at 28...Mixed Emotions

#1 Post by jessmckaus »

Hi! My name is Jess, I'm 28 - about to turn 29 and I am from Australia. I got my braces on Friday, Feb 16th...Ceramic on the Top and Metal on Bottom. I did not expect to be getting a Trans-palatal arch at the same time - which has been the biggest struggle for me. The pain hasn't been too bad except for the first evening where my mouth was more so sore than the teeth. I've also been experiencing some headaches too at times.

Eating anything that I wanted has been the biggest lifestyle change for me, especially with the arch in. If that thing wasn't there I think the experience would be much easier. I'm hoping it does the job and isn't in for the whole period. I can really only eat liquids and extremely soft foods at the moment. Biting down into a piece of cucumber was terrible, I couldn't do it. I think at times I'm being too hard on myself in the eating department and forcing myself into eating normal food too soon. I've been told it gets better within a couple of weeks, so fingers crossed!

Talking has also been a challenge, especially at work where I talk on the phone quite often. I sound so silly. But I'm told that also improves with time.

My estimated treatment time is 18 months to 24 months but I'm not really sure of an exact date. The spacers that I got prior to getting my braces on didn't really do their job properly so I'm thinking at this stage it could be the latter of the estimated braces time. I'm sure I'll learn more as it progresses. I am only into my 5th day!

My next adjustment is on 13th April. I'll be interested to see if there's been any progress as they only did give me a thin wire in the beginning. I'm thinking the tingling and soreness feeling means they are doing something, even if it's only minuscule.

Now for me, it's to make sure that I can keep the ligatures clean, though the orthodontist is happy to change these when I need and feel they are getting too stained. I think I might see how they are going right before my birthday on March 31st!

Finally, I did go to this same orthodontist when I was about 16. I was pretty scared of going ahead with treatment back then and it was either braces for my teeth or an overseas school trip with my friends. Looking back at times, I wish in hindsight that I did get them but I also don't think I would have had the motivation to care for them as I do now. To get through the bad days, I just think of the end result and getting rid of my front tooth that looks like it's hanging down in photos. Time has passed by quickly these past few years, so I'm sure that 2 years will be nothing. But at the moment, it seems to be going quite slow.

All in all, if I knew what I felt now I think I still would go through with it, but possibly consider Invisalign more heavily instead as I didn't realise how bad I've not been able to cope with not eating proper food. Eating out is a big part of my lifestyle so this has been an extremely massive shock to the system. Though I've also been told by my orthodontist that he can really get a better result with metal braces.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to reading all of your stories and advice!

Steph30

Re: Braces at 28...Mixed Emotions

#2 Post by Steph30 »

Welcome, and congratulations on getting your braces! I know the first few weeks can be absolutely terrible! I got mine on almost a year ago and I feel like its one of the best choices I've ever made in my life. I Also have ceramic uppers and metal lowers but my braces are self ligating and don't have ligatures. I do however have power chains right now which stain similar to ligatures I believe, the smoke coloured ones stay nicer longest... and stay away from curry! I currently have a neon green power chain on my front teeth.. its awful. I also started my journey with a bite plate which affected my speech and was really hard to adjust too, but time goes so fast, before you know it things will feel normal.

Aro

#3 Post by Aro »

Hey, March 31st is my birthday too ^_^ I'll be turning 28.

If all goes according to plan and I decide not to back out at the last minute, I'll probably be getting my braces on around my birthday.

Maddy1980

#4 Post by Maddy1980 »

[quote=Steph30 post_id=500507 time=1519234528 user_id=29420]
I also started my journey with a bite plate.
[/quote]

Hi there

I have had a bite plate for 3 weeks to open my bite before braces are fitted. Please can you tell me how long before you saw a difference when wearing your bite plate and how long you wore it? Thanks

gira23

#5 Post by gira23 »

It's a good point you make- even though it would have been over and done with if you'd gotten them at 16, you're more mature to take care of them now.

Congrats on getting your braces! I'm sure the time with them will fly.

HeavyMetalNZ

#6 Post by HeavyMetalNZ »

just got mine at the ripe old age of 28 too haha, glad to see it's not that uncommon. my job also involves a lot of talking on both phone and face to face and boy do i feel silly at the moment. my orthodontist put mostly clear brackets on the front teeth and metal ones through the back, so unless i'm quite up close to someone they don't see them, the problem with this is that some people mentioned they thought i was just being rude / mumbling to them while talking as didn't realise i had the braces on. i guess when i eventually get those bands on i'll pick something with a slightly more obvious colour so things like this are not as easily assumed :GapToothed: lookin forward to follow your journey along with others on here, i totally get it about being in a better position to look after them now and having taken that trip while younger. i made a similar choice too about 10 years ago, though at the time it was either braces or uni/car haha.