New Year, New Me (2018 Braces Journey)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AvalonD

New Year, New Me (2018 Braces Journey)

#1 Post by AvalonD »

My name is Ava and I am 18 years old.

I really wish I would have started journaling my journey with braces from Day 1, but I wasn't sure where I could write it. Now that I have found an outlet for this documentation, I'm ecstatic. This is going to be great to reflect back on when I finally am released from the braces that bind me. As it has been less than a month since getting them on, the notes I've made for each big event are very few.

Results of Consultation:
- Sentenced to 18 months behind brackets
- Excessive crowding on both top centre and bottom centre teeth
- Crossbite on #33
- Overbite

January 15th, 2018:
I got my braces on! Full set of metal braces on both the top and bottom. Along with this came 3 coil springs; one on the running across #10, the second on the bottom running across #32 and the third on the bottom across #26.

On a personal level, I hated the way the coils looked the second that I saw them. I even asked my ortho why my braces looked so jacked up. Along with that came the unfortunate news that braces didn't cover up the visual crookedness of teeth, rather enhanced the crookedness.

I chose silver to match the wire, though since that I've been thinking of getting colours during my first adjustment. The date was set for March 15th.

January 30th, 2018:
I dropped in for a quick snip of the wire on the top, back left the side of my mouth. It was poking and rubbing something fierce, and while I was hesitant to bother them for such seemingly minute problem- they clipped it quickly and understood the pain. Hopefully, this is a positive sign for some shifting.

February 2nd, 2018:
The first signs of visual shifting are upon us. Whilst flossing I noticed how large the gaps are in my top centre teeth- scratch that, that's too dramatic- more like, how there is any gap at all. Before getting braces it was extremely difficult to floss between those top crowded teeth, even my dentist struggled. Shortly after getting braces on, I couldn't floss without crying and skipping several teeth. Now, its basically a breeze- and I can see the small gaps. Makes all of the mouth sores feel worth it.

February 6th, 2018:
I've noticed a lot of cracking in my teeth when I rub my tongue against them- a true sign of movement. Oh, happy days!

That is all I have to share, for now, I will return if there is any further news!

-Ava :rose:

AvalonD

Re: New Year, New Me (2018 Braces Journey)

#2 Post by AvalonD »

February 11th 2018:

My bite pads have been filled down because of night grinding and like regular wear and tear. Unfortunately, this has caused my front teeth to touch against my bottom wire and bracket- its pretty painful because I accidentally bite down hard or grind my teeth pretty often. So, tomorrow I'm going to have to give my orthodontist a call and get my bite pads built up as soon as they can schedule me in. This is kind of annoying because it took me quite a while to get used to my bite pads and eating with them.

I'll probably post an update after my appointment

AvalonD

#3 Post by AvalonD »

February 12th 2018:

My orthodontist squeezed me in today to get my bite pads built up- they feel so much better now! I know that a lot of people don't like the feeling of not being able to fully close your mouth but it makes me so much more comfortable. I'm glad I went because my orthodontist noticed that two of my coils weren't as tight as she wanted them to be, therefore those teeth haven't shifted as much as the one with the tighter coil, so she tightened them. Glad I didn't choose to wait it out until my adjustment next month.

AvalonD

First Adjustment

#4 Post by AvalonD »

Monday (3/12/18) was my first appointment for adjusting, I didn't get the chance to post on Monday but here's the update;

They took my coils all off (thank gosh), then I was given a new, stronger wire on the top but unfortunately, my teeth on the bottom aren't ready for a new wire. As a result, my elastics are being pushed back to hopefully my next appointment (which I haven't scheduled yet but I'm getting around to it). I got blue on my braces instead of just the silver and I actually like it.

My bottom teeth look so good compared to pictures I took the day I got my braces on- I'm so happy!

Will update next time!

-Ava

HeavyMetalNZ

#5 Post by HeavyMetalNZ »

that's great to see you are happy so early in your journey. through reading this i googled bite pads and glad to finally find out that's what they're called! i have them too on my rear molars, since the way my teeth are, these pads had to be quite high up which kinda sucks so my face looks dramatically long due to not being able to close the mouth properly :S were you told how longyou would have to have yours on for?

AvalonD

#6 Post by AvalonD »

[quote=HeavyMetalNZ post_id=500922 time=1521071697 user_id=31558]
that's great to see you are happy so early in your journey. through reading this i googled bite pads and glad to finally find out that's what they're called! i have them too on my rear molars, since the way my teeth are, these pads had to be quite high up which kinda sucks so my face looks dramatically long due to not being able to close the mouth properly :S were you told how longyou would have to have yours on for?
[/quote]

I actually really enjoy having bite pads! Mostly due to the fact that my overbite is deep, and therefore my front teeth settle uncomfortably snug against my bottom brackets- because of this I have asked to have them built up once. Though, they aren't considered a necessity, for me at least. They wear down very very quickly (less than a week) so I've given up on getting them built up again this time around, so I'm just hoping that I don't accidentally bite a bracket off. Sorry to hear about yours! Hope all ends up well :D

AvalonD

#7 Post by AvalonD »

Bottom teeth progress picture (2 Months Apart)

They're shifting slower than my ortho had hoped but I'm satisfied.

I hate showing pictures of my teeth but I guess here it is (sorry for the bad lighting in first one)
braces.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AvalonD

#8 Post by AvalonD »

Today I had both an ortho appotinment and a cleaning (how fun).

My bottom wire was finally ready to be switched out for a stronger, more square one. My top wire has an added power chain to close up the new gaps in my front teeth, and still no elastics uggh

My dental health is fabulous and both doctors affirmed that I'm doing absolutlety everything possible on my end to keep my teeth clean.

(Before and After updates are to follow)

AvalonD

#9 Post by AvalonD »

[img/]
braces2.jpg
][/img]
braces3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steph30

#10 Post by Steph30 »

Great progress!

AvalonD

#11 Post by AvalonD »

I've had a few appointments since my last post, but nothing exciting has happened really.

I got my power chain taken off, my bottom teeth seemed to be finished their shift and my bite is really really good (so I still haven't got elastics which is annoying). Right now my ortho said he's just trying to polish off my front couple of teeth to make them perfect so thats the focus right now.

I want to have my braces off in February, though I don't know how plausible that is. Fingers crossed.

My next appointment is December 5th.

AndAndAnd

#12 Post by AndAndAnd »

Your teeth are looking good. They look finished to me. My lower teeth were similar to yours and are now straightened up as well. I only wish I had got it sorted sooner.