What to expect on the day you get braces

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

CapeTownJess

What to expect on the day you get braces

#1 Post by CapeTownJess »

I consider myself a person who does a fair amount of research before diving in to something, and I felt totally ready for braces.

Here are some things that I did and did not expect when I got my braces on yesterday (1 Feb):

1. Pain: You can believe your orthodontist when he says that putting the braces on is a painless procedure (only when the wire goes in does it feel a bit tight). You should also definitely believe him when he says that the pain will start in 1-2 days time. For this I suggest having painkillers ready. I have a relatively high pain threshold (didn't bother with painkillers when I cracked a rib), but I've taken 3 painkillers in the last 24hrs to try ease the dull ache in my mouth.

2. The psychological shift: As soon as I got into my car after the appointment I cried. I cried because my mouth felt foreign and I felt exactly the opposite of sexy. Just know that it is okay to cry for your new image, because those feelings will pass. You are investing in your future self. Wear them with pride, because what you project is how people will perceive you. So try focus on the bright side of the day-to-day struggle and document your progress, because this is about you and no one else.

3. Liquid/mush diet: I knew that there would be tenderness, but what I did not expect was for there to be two blocks/steps stuck to the inside of my two front teeth to start fixing my overbite. This has resulted in the back teeth in my mouth not touching at all..... apparently it will take 1-2 weeks before I can physically eat solids. I've ordered a blender and bought a masher (smoothie recipes anyone??). I realise this is not a problem everyone will have, but there will be tenderness still so I recommend treating yourself to all the custard. I have found that avo is also a life saver (chop it up and put it in your soup as a topping, you wont regret it!).

4. Time dedicated to oral hygiene: At least 20mins 3 times a day will be spent in front of your sink getting up close and personal with your mouth. Gum disease, no thanks. Do expect bits of food to appear in your mouth while brushing, even if you thought you got it all out with vigorous swishing of water and a bristle after your meal. Also, what is up with all this saliva.

5. How much coordination it takes to place tiny elastics on the hooks. I'm sure I'll get better with practice, is what I keep telling myself.

6. My newfound respect for kids with braces. I am amazed. But I will obviously maintain a 'no big deal' air about being a brace face :wink:

sumeethjohn

Re: What to expect on the day you get braces

#2 Post by sumeethjohn »

I can understand your pain and grief.
My suggestion is if you use hot water bag near to the pain. It will relieve your pain and even sometimes there is a possibility you will lose your pain.
This technique works well even for kids, if they were able to bare the hotness.

Nami

#3 Post by Nami »

Hey! Congratulations on getting your braces last week! I've done a fair amount of research to choose the best orthodontist for my needs as well. It is a huge commitment to have braces on. You took a step forward and so will I (tomorrow)! How is the pain now after a week?

CapeTownJess

#4 Post by CapeTownJess »

Thank you :)

One week later and I feel like I have adjusted to this braces life.
I only had to take mild painkillers for the first two days. Now I find that I can deal with the tenderness of my moving teeth.
I have found that the back brackets tend to cut up my cheek, especially while sleeping. Putting wax on the bracket overnight really helps a lot!

All the best of luck - and take photos to track the progress, it will keep your spirits up :)

Nami

#5 Post by Nami »

Hey Jess!

I just got mine on yesterday and it felt awkward! I already had lip incompetence so I feel like braces accentuates out even more. I already had pain before I came in bc of a decayed wisdom tooth but they placed braces on my front 6 teeth and spacers on anyway. I'm going to get my upper 1s premolars and a lower central incisor extracted this Thursday. Have you gotten any teeth extracted and which ones?

CapeTownJess

#6 Post by CapeTownJess »

Hey Nami, congratulations on taking the leap :)
I was also quite worried about how my lips would be over the braces since I already have a smallish mouth and petite face. It takes a few days, but now I don't have a problem closing my mouth. Just kind of relax your lips.

I do find that I have a super dry mouth from constantly clearing away the saliva, and that my lips get quite dry too ( but maybe that's from all the brushing and whatever).

I do know that some ortho's will remove teeth, but mine is going to try fit everything in...so we'll see!

How long are you expecting to have your braces on for?

USNrecruiterguy

#7 Post by USNrecruiterguy »

Hi Jess. I’m John. I got Damon braces on top and bottom on Feb 5. I have an anterior open bite and a tongue thrust. So my estimated time til competition is 24 months. The thing that confuses me is that they orthodontist told me that I was going to have to wear elastics, but I have no hooks on the top. I don’t know if that means that I am going to have to have bracket repositioned or what.

CapeTownJess

#8 Post by CapeTownJess »

Hi John :)
I totally get your confusion about what happens to your mouth between now and the end result.
Your ortho is the one who has the whole strategy layed out for you, so your best bet is to just ask him/her.

I have elastics at the moment. Certain brackets on my back teeth have actual hooks at the bottom, and certain clear brackets on the front teeth have like a little knob on top instead of an actual hook.. So maybe look out for those?

CapeTownJess

#9 Post by CapeTownJess »

[quote=USNrecruiterguy post_id=500297 time=1518426800 user_id=31381]
Hi Jess. I’m John. I got Damon braces on top and bottom on Feb 5. I have an anterior open bite and a tongue thrust. So my estimated time til competition is 24 months. The thing that confuses me is that they orthodontist told me that I was going to have to wear elastics, but I have no hooks on the top. I don’t know if that means that I am going to have to have bracket repositioned or what.
[/quote]

Also, I found this video, maybe it's relevant to you:
https://youtu.be/Z1nak2DH8NY

lindz74

#10 Post by lindz74 »

These are some great tips! I'm getting my braces on soon and I've started getting nervous, but this is really helpful. It seems like it's all just a matter of getting used to the changes. :)

CapeTownJess

#11 Post by CapeTownJess »

lindz74 wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 11:38 am These are some great tips! I'm getting my braces on soon and I've started getting nervous, but this is really helpful. It seems like it's all just a matter of getting used to the changes. :)
Thanks!
Yes, you are right. I can already put on my elastics without the little hook and without a mirror. :jump:
Good luck!

Nami

#12 Post by Nami »

CapeTownJess wrote: Mon Feb 12, 2018 12:46 am Hey Nami, congratulations on taking the leap :)
I was also quite worried about how my lips would be over the braces since I already have a smallish mouth and petite face. It takes a few days, but now I don't have a problem closing my mouth. Just kind of relax your lips.

I do find that I have a super dry mouth from constantly clearing away the saliva, and that my lips get quite dry too ( but maybe that's from all the brushing and whatever).

I do know that some ortho's will remove teeth, but mine is going to try fit everything in...so we'll see!

How long are you expecting to have your braces on for?
Hey Jess!

You're so lucky you're not going to remove any teeth! I'm deathly terrified for this Thursday's extractions. Wish me luck!!! :lol:

I'm expected to have braces for 2 years. How about you? It appears that you got braces a week before me so we might end on the same timeline :D

Eating has been a pain so far. Corn added to my ramen was actually hard to chew. I just had fettuccine pasta for lunch and that was also tough to eat as well.

Feb 9th, 2018: top 6 teeth braced || Feb 15th, 2018: extractions ||
March 5th, 2018: all braces on!

CapeTownJess

#13 Post by CapeTownJess »

Good Luck!!
I still might need surgery to expose the impacted canine, but the ortho will decide based on my progress in 6 months time.. I have read on this forum that some people have waited like 3 years for their canine to come down naturally!!
Yes we are on the same timeline more or less - my ortho said 24-30 months.
By the feel of things, my teeth are getting a bit worse before they can be perfect, but I have read and heard that it's pretty normal.

It will all be over before we know it! :jump:

Nami

#14 Post by Nami »

Well I'm sure you don't want to wait another three years! :lol: It feels like it's taking forever right now since my piece is still so tender ugh.

Feb 9th, 2018: top 6 teeth braced || Feb 15th, 2018: extractions ||
March 5th, 2018: all braces on!

SarahJeanneSays

#15 Post by SarahJeanneSays »

I've had mine for about a week. Yes, there was no pain the day of install but the next 3-4 days after were sore.