What to expect on the day you get braces

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

vlopez91

Re: What to expect on the day you get braces

#16 Post by vlopez91 »

:shock: [quote=CapeTownJess post_id=500133 time=1517564624 user_id=31340]
I consider myself a person who does a fair amount of research before diving in to something, and I felt totally ready for braces.

Here are some things that I did and did not expect when I got my braces on yesterday (1 Feb):

1. Pain: You can believe your orthodontist when he says that putting the braces on is a painless procedure (only when the wire goes in does it feel a bit tight). You should also definitely believe him when he says that the pain will start in 1-2 days time. For this I suggest having painkillers ready. I have a relatively high pain threshold (didn't bother with painkillers when I cracked a rib), but I've taken 3 painkillers in the last 24hrs to try ease the dull ache in my mouth.

2. The psychological shift: As soon as I got into my car after the appointment I cried. I cried because my mouth felt foreign and I felt exactly the opposite of sexy. Just know that it is okay to cry for your new image, because those feelings will pass. You are investing in your future self. Wear them with pride, because what you project is how people will perceive you. So try focus on the bright side of the day-to-day struggle and document your progress, because this is about you and no one else.

3. Liquid/mush diet: I knew that there would be tenderness, but what I did not expect was for there to be two blocks/steps stuck to the inside of my two front teeth to start fixing my overbite. This has resulted in the back teeth in my mouth not touching at all..... apparently it will take 1-2 weeks before I can physically eat solids. I've ordered a blender and bought a masher (smoothie recipes anyone??). I realise this is not a problem everyone will have, but there will be tenderness still so I recommend treating yourself to all the custard. I have found that avo is also a life saver (chop it up and put it in your soup as a topping, you wont regret it!).

4. Time dedicated to oral hygiene: At least 20mins 3 times a day will be spent in front of your sink getting up close and personal with your mouth. Gum disease, no thanks. Do expect bits of food to appear in your mouth while brushing, even if you thought you got it all out with vigorous swishing of water and a bristle after your meal. Also, what is up with all this saliva.

5. How much coordination it takes to place tiny elastics on the hooks. I'm sure I'll get better with practice, is what I keep telling myself.

6. My newfound respect for kids with braces. I am amazed. But I will obviously maintain a 'no big deal' air about being a brace face :wink:
[/quote]