First Time Braces at 28

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

xoredxedx

First Time Braces at 28

#1 Post by xoredxedx »

Hi friends,
I posted in the other forum, but think it'd be fun tracking my story as it goes over here. I'm 28, going to be 29 in the spring, and this is my first time with braces. I've been self conscious about my teeth since... junior high school, I suppose. Never got braces as a teen. A combination of factors entered into that whole ordeal, financial and personal.

I will try to paint a word picture of my teeth, as I don't think I'm yet allowed to post pictures (being a n00b) and also I'm not really sure I feel comfortable doing so anyway.

My top teeth... aesthetically, most of them look in line except one tooth. The upper right lateral incisor is pushed back, so there is a gap between my front tooth and the canine. It makes me look like I am missing a tooth from most angles (the tooth is still there, just pushed back out of sight). My top arch is also slightly shifted in favor of that gap, it seems. The teeth seem to be migrating to close that gap, so everything is slightly off center. Probably. They didn't say this, but it's kind of my hot take on how things have developed over the years.

The bottom teeth, the canines are rotated a bit and the 4 up front are tilted in weird ways. Looks kind of like a poorly maintained graveyard. They are also kind of wedge shaped.

There are probably a lot of other things going on which went a bit over my head when discussing it.

In spite of all of this, my treatment plan does not require surgery or extractions :D . It seems that they've assigned those sorts of things in the past so I'm sure they'd have done so if they felt I needed it.

I'm looking at 18 months in braces (time of course depending on how my teeth cooperate, I know).

Just got braces on on Thursday 11 Jan. They had a heck of a time getting separators in, too. Evening time I took ibuprofen, as I had a wicked headache as part of the pain. I've not really taken any pain medication since, as it's been manageable otherwise. Needed to use some wax on my bottom lip. Had a really hard time flossing, but I've discovered the magic of cutting the glide floss shorter, which has helped me manage the task a lot more easily. (IMAGINE THAT. SCISSORS! Who knew?) Figured it out after trying the normal threader plastic needly thing + floss and realizing it was only easier because I'd cut the floss a little bit shorter. :roll:

I've also been using the waterpik, and a sonicare toothbrush.

Invested in some interdental brushes as well. Never used them before, not sure if I'll be able to get them between my teeth (they are a bit jammed up for sure) but I figured I'd give it a go.

I'll update this as I go. My next appointment is at the end of February, actually. Looking forward to that!

atrixa

Re: First Time Braces at 28

#2 Post by atrixa »

Welcome to the forum! I personally didn't get on with the interdental brushes for flossing. I prefer superfloss and my waterpik (best buy ever!). I'll probably get a sonicare in a few months as my current Oral B is getting a bit geriatric on the battery life.
Upper arch braced (traditional metal) on 17/02/17
Debonded 17/01/18 with a fixed retainer
Estimated treatment time 18 months, actual time 11 months :-*

Meinir7

#3 Post by Meinir7 »

The only use i find for the interdental brushes is going around the brackets when i am out. I wish i did not buy this many though. I kind of went crazy with buying things before they were placed. Who needs 240 disclosing tablets :lol:

atrixa

#4 Post by atrixa »

Yeah, I overdid it on the wax. On the bright side, no excuse for any plaque on your teeth!
Upper arch braced (traditional metal) on 17/02/17
Debonded 17/01/18 with a fixed retainer
Estimated treatment time 18 months, actual time 11 months :-*