30+ Years. Finally!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bracefacemom47

30+ Years. Finally!

#1 Post by Bracefacemom47 »

Hi all! I'm 47, mom to 3, daughter also had braces but gets hers off next month. I got mine yesterday after wanting them for over 30yrs! As I get older the more crowded they get. Just stinks that insurance doesn't help pay for adults :(

I have turbos on my molars which make it impossible to chew so as an added bonus I hope to lose a lot of weight too!

So far not much pain but done teeth itching. So weird. All of it feels so weird! Only thing bothering me is a raw cheek in front. :(

rubyteeth

Re: 30+ Years. Finally!

#2 Post by rubyteeth »

Good for you! I'm beginning to wish i'd done this earlier too, but I didn't have the Money until now...

My plate goes in on tuesday... I'm sick of the spacers already so can't imagine 2 more years.
Rubyteeth

middleagedladywithbraces.com

Ali

#3 Post by Ali »

Hey, I'm 47 too! I've had braces for two months, and they felt pretty weird at first as well. At this point, I'm pretty used to them, but sometimes I feel more pressure, as if my teeth are saying, "OK, we're gonna move now."

Congrats on finally doing something you've wanted to do for years. :D

Bracefacemom47

#4 Post by Bracefacemom47 »

Thank you! To you as well! My cheeks have sores and hurt like raw, I'm using a lot of wax. How will my cheeks toughen up if i keep using wax?

rubyteeth

#5 Post by rubyteeth »

I wondered the same thing- i'm using wax coz it's the only way i can get through the day but does it just keep the cheeks from experiencing the damage and not toughen up? It's painful at the moment but might be prepared to take the wax off if it speeds up the process in the long run.

advice?
Rubyteeth

middleagedladywithbraces.com

Bracefacemom47

#6 Post by Bracefacemom47 »

I got nothing. Sorry. I've just Been advised to keep using wax and more wax. With or without wax it's annoying and still hurts to eat (raw cheeks). I'd have to put wax on every bracket. Cleaning the wax off is a pain in the butt. I went without wax today. I just try not to talk much until it all heals. Even eating mashed potatoes or chicken noodle soup is painful.

atrixa

#7 Post by atrixa »

Regarding the wax, I say just use it if you feel you need to. The whole 'cheeks toughening up thing' is a bit of a con if you consider your teeth will just move and the bracket will irritate a fresh bit of cheek. One thing i've found helpful with avoiding the sores is just staying really hydrated, too. The saliva acts as a decent lubricant, so if you have a raging hangover over christmas/new year you'll find they start rubbing again.
Upper arch braced (traditional metal) on 17/02/17
Debonded 17/01/18 with a fixed retainer
Estimated treatment time 18 months, actual time 11 months :-*

EmilyTravels

#8 Post by EmilyTravels »

I'm almost four months in, and I have only needed wax the first week I had braces and then on a sharp wire end the tech didn't cut short enough. My cheeks definitely did toughen up, thank the gods!

Bracefacemom47

#9 Post by Bracefacemom47 »

Mine hurt only where the band hooks are. :(

Ali

#10 Post by Ali »

Bracefacemom47 wrote:Mine hurt only where the band hooks are. :(
That's where I get the most irritated. I only use wax when it's really bugging me or if I have to talk a lot.

Bracefacemom47

#11 Post by Bracefacemom47 »

Ali wrote:
That's where I get the most irritated. I only use wax when it's really bugging me or if I have to talk a lot.

I know right? I wish i could just not talk.

Ali

#12 Post by Ali »

Bracefacemom47 wrote:
Ali wrote:

I know right? I wish i could just not talk.
:lol:

41Braced

#13 Post by 41Braced »

BraceFaceMom47,
I'm 41 and getting braces for the first time on Friday. It's nice to find others in my age range going through this. My teeth are a mess and I'm not exactly looking forward to dealing with all of this. Honestly, I'm more concerned about how it's going to feel at this point, than how it's going to look. I've sort accepted that the braces are going to be on there and most people will probably notice. And there is nothing I can really do about that other than to try to stay self-confident and remind myself that I'm doing this to make things better. But I'm still really nervous about the uncomfortable feeling, pain, or difficulty eating (I'm a bit of a foodie and would miss being able to enjoy a wide range of foods). What did you mean by so far no pain but done with "teeth itching"? Did it make your teeth itchy???