Clapped in Metal - at 37

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

VampireNyckei

Clapped in Metal - at 37

#1 Post by VampireNyckei »

... and honestly, I'm not upset about it at all. I've literally waited 30 years to be in braces and I'm actually kinda stoked.

I guess the SparkNotes version of the story is this:
I've had a gap in between my two front teeth for all of my life. It's hereditary. My mom has it, my cousins have it, my uncles have it. We've all had it. But my mom had never bothered to fix her teeth, so she certainly didn't bother with fixing mine. (Which, to be honest, weren't really that bad - my bottom row even now, is perfect.) Around 28 or so, I decided that I would go and fix them. (Both of my parents said they would help.) I learned from an ortho in Baltimore that I had tongue thrust and an overbite. After they had pretty much scheduled me to get it done, my mom reneged - and went and got herself Invisalign. (Which later backfired as she took a cheap option and it broke her teeth. Karma.)

Life continued. I got married, had my daughter, and ... in 2016, lost my father to undetected pancreatic cancer.
The stress of his passing made me start to grind my teeth and develop TMJ - which was actually discovered by my primary care phys. My dentist later told me that I'd been grinding so bad that I'd cracked two fillings and that my jaw was out of line. He sent me pronto to an ortho in late August (whom I love - he totally cracked up when I told him I wanted to look like Janet Jackson when he was done) and they clapped me in metal and navy ligatures. I couldn't be happier. I'm going to fix my smile, my bite, and hopefully resolve some of my jaw issues. (Waking up with a headache everyday from grinding is not the best way to start the day.) It's never too late, right?
Cheers!

tillybrace

Re: Clapped in Metal - at 37

#2 Post by tillybrace »

welcome to the club

sim3jam

#3 Post by sim3jam »

all the best!

assertives

#4 Post by assertives »

It's never too late. I'm 35 and I just got braces 3.5 months ago, full metal as well. Welcome to the club!

Steph30

#5 Post by Steph30 »

Welcome! I had similar jaw issues when starting this process 6 months ago, my jaw pain and headaches in the morning are much better already! Good luck :)