Carriere Distalizer and ceramic braces at 28

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

lindz74

Carriere Distalizer and ceramic braces at 28

#1 Post by lindz74 »

Hello! I'm going through my first round of orthodontic work and it's been interesting. I have significant crowding on both the top and bottom, as well as a fairly deep overbite. My ortho has suggested the Carriere Distalizer to help with my overbite since neither surgery or extractions sound like something I want to go through. I'm looking forward to hearing about other peoples' experiences with this appliance since I never really heard of it before this. I'm *hoping* to only have it on for three months, but since I'm older it could be longer.

I got this on about a week ago and the pain hasn't been too bad. It mostly subsided in the last couple of days, only with a little bit of sensitivity if I'm trying to chew something a bit tougher. I actually don't mind the metal rods or the elastics, but I have to wear an Essix retainer on my bottom teeth 24/7 and it's really irritating. Has anyone else needed to wear this along with the CD? How did you cope? It's driving me nuts!

lindz74

Re: Carriere Distalizer and ceramic braces at 28

#2 Post by lindz74 »

I've always clenched my teeth when I sleep but I noticed that's it's been particularly bad since I've been wearing the retainer. As in, I wake up in the middle of the night with some really sore teeth. I took to wearing a small rubber bite guard because I have no other options. What a pain!

lindz74

#3 Post by lindz74 »

I just had my one month appointment with the ortho and she seemed surprised that my teeth have moved so much. She asked three times whether I was doubling up my elastics (I'm not!). This appointment was originally supposed to end with them having me double my elastics, but they said to stay with just the one on either side. I guess because they're moving so well already? Either way, yay!

Falfol

#4 Post by Falfol »

I am also going through this atm :cry:

What strength elastics did you start with?

lindz74

#5 Post by lindz74 »

Sorry, I just saw this now! I've been in C elastics since I started. Just had another check up and I'm nearly fully corrected on my left side, but only halfway on my right (it was much more crowded). She just told me to keep doing what I'm doing. How is it going for you?

robynmadison

#6 Post by robynmadison »

Are you still in your Distalizer?

lindz74

#7 Post by lindz74 »

Yes! I'm still in the appliance, however I go on the 14th to be told whether I can finally take it off and get braces put on or not. I've had it on since the end of September/early October so it should be coming off earlier than I expected (5ish months), which was 6 months. I was hoping for 3 months but that was what the ortho expected in teenagers, and since I've obviously stopped growing I figured it would be longer.

I have a sizeable gap between my right canine and the tooth before it, and a bit less of a gap on the left side (I'd post pictures but I'm not able to yet). My right side was more crowded so I guess that's why the gap is bigger. I will say that my experience with the Carriere Distalizer has been pretty good though. I haven't had many issues with it at all. I've seen people here had trouble with overextrusion of their canines, but I didn't experience any of that (though it felt like it was going that way at times!). I had size C elastics the whole time, wore them 24/7 (except for eating), and had the clear retainer on the bottom.

My ortho said that once everything is all said and done that I shouldn't have an overbite at all, but I'm not sure I buy it. My overbite is kind of severe and I can't really see it going away just because of a gap in my teeth. I'm fine being left with a bit of an overbite in the end, just as long as my teeth are straight! She also said I'd be a good candidate for Invisalign, but honestly those clear retainers are such an annoyance that I told her I'm fine with staying with the ceramics. lol I'll update again once I have my appointment on the 14th!

lindz74

#8 Post by lindz74 »

I also wanted to add what I experienced with the appliance:

- I had a good bit of pain in the beginning that made it hard to eat, but it only lasted for about two weeks or so and then I was back to normal, so try to stick it out!
- Sometimes the sensitivity would come back randomly, but that's when you know things are making a move again.
- My ortho seems impressed with my progress, and said that I seem to keep everything in (my elastics/retainer) pretty religiously so for best results, as an adult, I suggest only taking your elastics/retainer out to eat/drink and putting the retainer back in with new elastics soon after. My ortho always gave me way more elastics than I needed so this was never an issue. I also brush my teeth after every meal if I can. If I can't (if I was out to eat or something), I just brush as soon as I get home. I guess it seems kind of extreme but I want this off and my braces on ASAP. lol
- I have "teething" sensations sometimes, where I feel the need to chew on something. I guess this is a result of my teeth moving.

robynmadison

#9 Post by robynmadison »

Wow thats awesome! I got mine on December 8th and since then I've broken both sides of the back parts of the top bar lol.
I get mine off February 20th!! I never got a clear retainer on the bottom though, just the metal bands around my back teeth...I have a pretty bad overbite too, but its gone from 6mm to 4mm and my Ortho seemed pretty impressed !!
Good luck !! From already experiencing braces 4 years ago its the biggest relief to get them off hahah

lindz74

#10 Post by lindz74 »

Woooooo that's awesome! Congrats on getting it off soon! I broke off one of the lower buttons in my first week, so I know how you feel. Lol my ortho hasn't taken measurements, I might have to ask her the next time I'm there.

lindz74

#11 Post by lindz74 »

Just had another check up yesterday and I'm due for braces on March 14th! Ahhhhhh!

My ortho wants my teeth to overcorrect before braces go on and if they're not overcorrected enough, she said that she will put braces on my four front teeth and on the bottom but leave the distalizer on for the time being. So everyone cross your fingers and toes that my teeth overcorrect like crazy so I don't have to do that! No point in getting ceramics if you're gonna have a big metal appliance where everyone can see it anyway! Lol

lindz74

#12 Post by lindz74 »

Got my braces today! So far so good. I don't feel like the ceramic brackets are too bulky and I don't have any issues with closing my lips. There was a bit of tightness when they first put the wires in, but for the first couple of hours I didn't have any issues. I'm starting to have soreness now, though, so that's no fun. :ThumbsDown: I also have cushions on two of my bottom teeth since my canines were hitting the brackets below them. They make it kind of hard to close my mouth fully, but I ate a muffin after I got home and didn't have *too* many issues with chewing. It was just a little awkward. The only bummer with these braces is that my teeth look fairly discolored with the ceramics. Hopefully that changes! Maybe I should lay off the tea and coffee for a while. lol

lindz74

#13 Post by lindz74 »

It's been a while since I updated, mostly because nothing too exciting has been happening with my teeth. However, last time I went to the ortho (last month) she noticed that my top left side was started to rebound a bit from the progress it made with the Carriere and the teeth are starting to crowd up a bit again, so she is having me wear elastics at night to help with that.

This month I'm getting some brackets repositioned to move some of my roots into the correct positions, which I thought was interesting. I never heard of that being done before, and they took x-rays at the last appointment to see how my roots are doing. I'm not looking forward to this since it's probably going to be like getting my braces on for the first time again. Fingers crossed that it's not too bad!

Once the brackets are repositioned, she said she was probably going to have me wear elastics full-time again. That's a bummer, but oh well. I'm a little frustrated that my left side is rebounding and I'm hoping it doesn't drag out my treatment. I'm getting married in 2020 and I need these suckers off before then!

lindz74

#14 Post by lindz74 »

I just posted a couple of weeks ago about having to wear elastics at night again, and the teeth that rebounded are already making really good progress at going back to where they should be! I'm always surprised by how fast teeth will move.

I'm still kind of dreading the repositioning I'm getting next week. I'm meeting friends for dinner the next day and I already know it's gonna be painful. Oh well! :) just another step to being done with braces!

Jethro

#15 Post by Jethro »

I had 4 brackets repositioned at my last appointment. Other than a little sensitivity the next day, no issues. Of course everyone's experience is different, but I hope you have smooth sailing. Ibuprofen is your friend, if needed.

I totally understand the rebound/relapse issues. I've been in heavy elastics my entire treatment and I notice changes after just a few hours of not wearing them...frustrating.

All the Best,

Jethro