Decisionmade's (D.M's) story:summer '07 update

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

joplin

#31 Post by joplin »

I look forward to setting my expander on the railroad track in 5 mos.!
:lol: I used to dream about that when I had the expander on, but you know what? When they finally handed it to me, I wanted to keep it as a memento: all the pain and discomfort it had given me and then, on the palm of my hand, it suddenly looked so small and innocent :roll:
Case: Impacted canines, crowding & crossbite.
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Braces on: top 2005/6/2, bottom 2005/8/30.
Braces off: 2008/6/9.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

katemm06

#32 Post by katemm06 »

DM~What are you taking for the pain now?

decisionmade

#33 Post by decisionmade »

hi Katem, i am just taking aleve now and only when i think of it..the space continues to get smaller but very slowly which is frusturating and rewarding at the same time...I am obsessed with cleaning my teeth and brush, floss, and rinse throughout the day my teeth have never been so clean:) my dentist will like that when I go in in a couple of weeks..i read your post under sarpe and am glad you are doing well..I now can't remember only bits of the questions you asked so I'm going to zip back over there and give a proper reply..stay strong you can do this!
crowding, mild overjet, and crossbite
SARPE AND R.P Expander: 7-14-05
extraction : 9-15-05
Brace date: 9-29-05
Expander out! 1-12-06!!!!! after 6 long mos.
Taking them off!!! Feb 26, 2007
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=5209

decisionmade

#34 Post by decisionmade »

Well now my latest issues along with the constant and uncomfortable movement of my teeth are abrasions developing on two places on my tongue from my expander..It is most uncomfortable after a day of talking ..the sores are right where the expander pushes on my tongue as I swallow...but this is of course a minor issue .....my bite continues to be uncomforably different every day but I believe I am over the worst of it. The gap has closed enough that I'm not so concerned about it anymore and even if the braces have to do the last push to get my two front teeth together thats ok with me..I continue to feel upbeat about it all and am making the best of my last week before I go back to work...Distracting myself these days by focusing on my fitness hoping to have a new and improved body to match my new braced smile! I still get emotional and proud of myself for finally going through with something I have gone back and forh on for so many years..I know many people can relate to that!!..I'll be posting my six week photo this Thursday!! ..Hard to believe :D

katemm06

#35 Post by katemm06 »

Hey DM,

Sorry to hear about your painful blisters on your tongue. I have several huge ones on my own tongue from when the expander was first cemented in my mouth. They stopped hurting after the first week, and I'm sure it will get better for you. I'm sure your tongue will toughen up soon enough and then you won't notice the discomfort anymore.

Someone I know who got the expansion done as a child, still has tons of blisters on their tongue and sides of their mouth, although it is not painful. I guess it's an after effect that cannot be avoided.

Take care.

decisionmade

#36 Post by decisionmade »

Well it has been 6 weeks today since my surgery and getting my expander cemented in and my teeth are moving a lot! Here is today's picture:

I can't wait for my extraction..now that is a weird thing to be excited for-- but its the next step..oh and on a funny note..my nephew (3) keeps asking me,,"do you still have that thing in yor mouth?"..I just laugh and say yes..It'll be there for a long time :?

joplin

#37 Post by joplin »

The gap seems to be closing nicely :) I've seen people with a natural gap the size of yours now.
My boyfriend's niece recently pointed at my braces and asked "what do you have on your teeth?" and I said they are "decorations". They obviously weren't that interesting to her as she just quietly looked at me like saying "I see, enough said" and carried on with her toys :lol:
Treatment: SARPE 2004/10/6, RPE 2004/9/28 - 2005/1/31, w-arch until 2005/11/22, impacted canines extracted 2005/5/18.
Retainers, phase one: expanding Hawley retainer 24/7, bonded retainers on top & bottom.
Retainers, phase two: Hawley on top, bonded both top & bottom, positioner for night time use.

invisagirl

#38 Post by invisagirl »

Your progress is absolutely amazing!!! Congrats!

2.6 years (30 months) with Invisalign plus 19 months 2 weeks with metal braces to achieve the perfect smile.

HollyDontSpend

Wow!

#39 Post by HollyDontSpend »

Just like Joplin, you have had such an amazing process. Good luck! Wishing you the best! :BigGrin:
Damon 2's for 18 months, removed 11/03/05

decisionmade

#40 Post by decisionmade »

Thank you all for your support...It is amazing what a few kind words can do for my outlook!..It is now one month until my brace date and my teeth are still moving around....I've been getting lots of support from family and friends and now that the space isn't so big i don't feel like I'm getting any funny looks..I even attended a wedding shower this past wknd without hesitation...Everyone I have told is just so supportive and remind me how happy I will be in the end..Heck, i'm just happy now..havng gone through with it after all these years..I've gotten much better at dislodging food from my expander in a more gracious manner (if there is one)!...and can eat almost normally...luckily i'm veggie so haven't had to adjust to meatless meals..I've made some great soups, taken my vitamins regularly, exercising ever day ...so i think my overall health is improving...Really in the scheme of things.. things are good..not to say I don't still have the irritations, aches and pains that go hand in hand with my expander but I guess today I am feeling pretty positive...

decisionmade

#41 Post by decisionmade »

My seven week photo...I'm smiling more freely now with my shrinking space and think I'll be more attractive with the braces on than I am without them..can't wait!..

stargirl

#42 Post by stargirl »

The space is closing up well!

When I actually got my braces on, I felt much more confident about my appearance. It feels great to be on your way, plus, the braces help to "hide" your teeth, even if the archwire and brackets aren't that straight!
I'm sure you'll be smiling even more once you're braced. I definitely have been!

joplin

#43 Post by joplin »

Glad to hear you're feeling so good, Decisionmade! That gap really is not much of a gap at all! Soon you'll forget you ever had one :) Hey, you're getting braced THIS MONTH, how does that sound to you? :jump:

decisionmade

#44 Post by decisionmade »

Thanks stargirl and joplin..yeah Joplin it is finally THIS month!! And you are fully braced now as well right?..So you certainly know how waiting can be!..I won't be surprised if i'm crying on brace day..at the relief after waiting my whole life..I'm such an emotional person..just thave to get through an extraction first but that'll be "easy"...i'm also excited that I'll have them on about 10 days before my 35th birthday..Quite a present to give my self I'd say:)..Have a great wknd my braced friends..I can't wait to join "your club"!

LisaH

#45 Post by LisaH »

Hey Decisionmade, I'm so excited for you :jump:
Congrat's on your long anticipated journey to Brace Day! After reading your entries, I am especially excited for you and wanted to wish you the very best! Hope you have a wonderful Long weekend.
Hey I noticed we are both from MA :)