To brace or not to brace my 7mm overbite

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

TheBrownDuck

To brace or not to brace my 7mm overbite

#1 Post by TheBrownDuck »

3 years ago, I completed my invisalign treatment for a front tooth that stuck out. I had this done by a dentist. I asked if the invisalign would correct my overbite. It is 7mm, top teeth completely cover bottoms. He said yes. After treatment (no rubberbands) I asked about why it didn't correct my overbite. He said due to my age (30) nothing could be done about that. I think he just wanted me out of his office. Now I wear my retainer and only 2 of my teeth touch in back.

I have considered getting metal braces and wish I would have in the first place. I've had 2 consultations. One said it's really not that bad and I may not be happy with the results. The other said he could get me close to where I should be. They both say it is more difficult in adults.

I have a hard time forking over thousands....again...if I'm not even sure what the results will be. Has anyone else been in a similar situation? Idk what I should do, but it bothers me every day.

Prometheus

Re: To brace or not to brace my 7mm overbite

#2 Post by Prometheus »

For what it's worth, I had Invisalign at 52 which fixed some crowding and spaces, but not my cross bite (my back teeth didn't touch properly either). I was told not to worry about it, it was "difficult to fix and not worth it". Six years later I developed bad TMJD problems and ended up with braces at 58 to fix my bite correctly and get rid of the TMJ pain. I feel I was marketed Invisalign when it was never appropriate. The lesson here, if there is one, is that you should listen to yourself. If something is truly wrong, i.e., a 7 mm overbite, it is probably worth getting it fixed. Perhaps you should get one more opinion from a board certified orthodontist.
Lower braces on March 11, 2015, upper braces added July 14, 2015.
Damon, metal bottom / clear top.
Braces off March 26, 2018: Total time in braces: 3 years, 2 weeks and 1 day.
Hawley retainers top and bottom.

TheBrownDuck

Re: To brace or not to brace my 7mm overbite

#3 Post by TheBrownDuck »

Thank you! I think that is just what I needed to hear. And I didn't realize they weren't all board certified. The 2 I went to were not, so this time I'll choose one that is.