Just saying hello

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

jem

Re: Just saying hello

#16 Post by jem »

You are welcome. I hope I didn't sound too harsh. You seem to have a good sense of humour and I'm sure that will help you through this process.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

Steph30

#17 Post by Steph30 »

jem wrote:You are welcome. I hope I didn't sound too harsh. You seem to have a good sense of humour and I'm sure that will help you through this process.

Jem
No, not harsh at all! :)

erin5550

#18 Post by erin5550 »

Steph30 wrote:
jem wrote:Hi Steph30,

Your bite plate is probably there mainly to correct a deep bite rather than protect brackets. The idea is that the bite plate keeps your molars apart and the molars have space to extrude spontaneously, thus correcting your deep bite. If you do not wear the bite plate consistently this may not happen or may take longer.

Whilst your ortho will probably not expect you to manage to wear the bite plate 24/7 in your first few days, they will expect it after that. If your speech is not 100% by the time of your first adjustment, the ortho will know that you have not been wearing the bite plate full time and you may risk being given a fixed bite plate instead. Your speech is probably nowhere near as bad as you think. If you wear the bite plate 24/7 this weekend your speech will probably be fine for work on Monday.

Good luck

Jem
Ahh Jem! You're killing me! hahah... When its out my mouth is literally open a bit so my molars aren't touching. I cant touch my molars right now even if I wanted to because my bottom brackets wont allow it.. My mouth doesn't close..

But you are right I do need to put on my big girl panties and just .... try to adjust. My next apt is not until the end of May.. I have a bit of time but I would like to get over this. It really is silly that I care so much about how I sound.

Thanks for the gentle push! lol :lol:
Steph, how are you doing with the bite plate now? I hope it's gotten better for you.

Steph30

#19 Post by Steph30 »

erin5550 wrote:
Steph30 wrote:
jem wrote:Hi Steph30,

Your bite plate is probably there mainly to correct a deep bite rather than protect brackets. The idea is that the bite plate keeps your molars apart and the molars have space to extrude spontaneously, thus correcting your deep bite. If you do not wear the bite plate consistently this may not happen or may take longer.

Whilst your ortho will probably not expect you to manage to wear the bite plate 24/7 in your first few days, they will expect it after that. If your speech is not 100% by the time of your first adjustment, the ortho will know that you have not been wearing the bite plate full time and you may risk being given a fixed bite plate instead. Your speech is probably nowhere near as bad as you think. If you wear the bite plate 24/7 this weekend your speech will probably be fine for work on Monday.

Good luck

Jem
Ahh Jem! You're killing me! hahah... When its out my mouth is literally open a bit so my molars aren't touching. I cant touch my molars right now even if I wanted to because my bottom brackets wont allow it.. My mouth doesn't close..

But you are right I do need to put on my big girl panties and just .... try to adjust. My next apt is not until the end of May.. I have a bit of time but I would like to get over this. It really is silly that I care so much about how I sound.

Thanks for the gentle push! lol :lol:
Steph, how are you doing with the bite plate now? I hope it's gotten better for you.

Hey! Thanks for asking. I always goto work with good intentions of keeping it in, by the 3rd pr 4th call I'm putting someone on hold and pulling it out of my mouth haha... its so tough!! I wear it 70% of the day.... I'm very careful when I don't wear it though. I still hate it... ☹️

Steph30

#20 Post by Steph30 »

erin5550 wrote:I am a newbie. I just got top and bottom metal braces and a removable upper bite plate on 3/9. I would like to know the best way to clean a bite plate if anyone has experience with this. It looks like it's turning yellow where I bite down on it. I have an overbite and tend to grind my teeth while I sleep.

It's your one month mark! Woohoo! How are you doIng?

Heidirs

#21 Post by Heidirs »

In regards to cleaning a bite plate, I would call your ortho's office just to be sure, but I use denture cleaner for my mouth guard. I imagine it would work for a bite plate as well. But make sure you call first and get the okay.

Glad things to be going well for you. :thumbsup:

erin5550

#22 Post by erin5550 »

Steph30 wrote:
erin5550 wrote:I am a newbie. I just got top and bottom metal braces and a removable upper bite plate on 3/9. I would like to know the best way to clean a bite plate if anyone has experience with this. It looks like it's turning yellow where I bite down on it. I have an overbite and tend to grind my teeth while I sleep.

So far so good, thanks! If I remember tonight I'll upload my before and after pictures. :D

It's your one month mark! Woohoo! How are you doIng?

erin5550

#23 Post by erin5550 »

Heidirs wrote:In regards to cleaning a bite plate, I would call your ortho's office just to be sure, but I use denture cleaner for my mouth guard. I imagine it would work for a bite plate as well. But make sure you call first and get the okay.

Glad things to be going well for you. :thumbsup:
That's what I was thinking. I'll ask the orthodontist. Thanks!

Steph30

#24 Post by Steph30 »

I'd Love to see pictures :)

erin5550

#25 Post by erin5550 »

Steph30 wrote:I'd Love to see pictures :)
Here's a before.

erin5550

#26 Post by erin5550 »

The top teeth...

erin5550

#27 Post by erin5550 »

Bottom teeth

erin5550

#28 Post by erin5550 »