29 - Braces Journey (terrified)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Steph30

Re: 29 - Braces Journey (terrified)

#31 Post by Steph30 »

BlondeCam wrote:Your braves look really cute! Wish mine were self litigating. Hang in there!
Thank you! - My teeth look more discolored in person from them though... almost grey lol maybe it's shadowing - i'm going to ask my ortho in May.

Steph30

#32 Post by Steph30 »

erin5550 wrote: Girl, mine too. I have a big gash where one of my upper brackets is hitting. :( Thank goodness for wax. How's everything else going?
It's not fun hey!.. my boyfriend keeps trying to kiss me and I have to tell him I cant cause my lips are too sore haha. so embarrassing. Things are going pretty good, my bite guard is really hurting the roof of my mouth, it's all raw.. I must be creating some kind of suction while I sleep... Not sure what to do about it really. I have random teeth that are sore here and there and it changes daily. My headaches have come back, not sure if it's related to my teeth. I don't mind the braces, I'm not worried about what people think anymore, so that's good.

I did have one lady come into my job talking about her experience and how her teeth are more crooked now than before, and that getting her braces off was traumatic and to do it in two appt's.. blah blah, she was being very negative.. I mentioned that I have a "braces group" that I'm part of, that's very supportive and positive - and everyone is different and I'm hoping my experience isn't like hers.. but really.. why would she be saying all that. haha.. ugh some people!

How are you doing?

Steph30

#33 Post by Steph30 »

Day24.jpg
Day24(2).jpg
What do you think?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Steph30

#34 Post by Steph30 »

Day24-3.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

erin5550

#35 Post by erin5550 »

Steph30 wrote:
erin5550 wrote: Girl, mine too. I have a big gash where one of my upper brackets is hitting. :( Thank goodness for wax. How's everything else going?
It's not fun hey!.. my boyfriend keeps trying to kiss me and I have to tell him I cant cause my lips are too sore haha. so embarrassing. Things are going pretty good, my bite guard is really hurting the roof of my mouth, it's all raw.. I must be creating some kind of suction while I sleep... Not sure what to do about it really. I have random teeth that are sore here and there and it changes daily. My headaches have come back, not sure if it's related to my teeth. I don't mind the braces, I'm not worried about what people think anymore, so that's good.

I did have one lady come into my job talking about her experience and how her teeth are more crooked now than before, and that getting her braces off was traumatic and to do it in two appt's.. blah blah, she was being very negative.. I mentioned that I have a "braces group" that I'm part of, that's very supportive and positive - and everyone is different and I'm hoping my experience isn't like hers.. but really.. why would she be saying all that. haha.. ugh some people!

How are you doing?
Wow!!! I can already see a difference in your teeth! That's amazing! I don't really notice a difference in mine visually yet, but I feel it when I floss.

I definitely have the same problem of creating a suction when I sleep. I am so glad to take that darn thing out to eat and brush in the morning. I feel a line in the roof of my mouth when I wake up. It stinks. I feel like stuff is moving but I swear I don't see it. I could not care less what people think of the braces, and most of the people that have commented either had them as kids or later as adults themselves, so I haven't heard any negative. I don't know why people have to be like that. I can't wait until I can start to see some movement in my mouth. When I go back in May they're putting on a heavier wire and they said that I'll start to close my gap pretty quickly then. Undoubtedly that means pain, but I know it'll be worth it.

Steph30

#36 Post by Steph30 »

erin5550 wrote:
Wow!!! I can already see a difference in your teeth! That's amazing! I don't really notice a difference in mine visually yet, but I feel it when I floss.

I definitely have the same problem of creating a suction when I sleep. I am so glad to take that darn thing out to eat and brush in the morning. I feel a line in the roof of my mouth when I wake up. It stinks. I feel like stuff is moving but I swear I don't see it. I could not care less what people think of the braces, and most of the people that have commented either had them as kids or later as adults themselves, so I haven't heard any negative. I don't know why people have to be like that. I can't wait until I can start to see some movement in my mouth. When I go back in May they're putting on a heavier wire and they said that I'll start to close my gap pretty quickly then. Undoubtedly that means pain, but I know it'll be worth it.

Thanks!... I think if you put pictures side by side like I have you will see movement.. I don't see much just by looking in the mirror, but like you.. I feel it when I floss!..

Bite plate really does suck.. lol but at least we can take it out, unlike people with the turbos on their teeth... which there is no escape from!... I feel like mine isn't fitting as well as it used to, hurts a lot at first when I put it in... I don't want to damage my teeth from the metal hooks.. but I also don't want to ask my ortho about it because then he will know I only wear it 60-75% of the time... this may be weird but i'd love to see a picture of yours? Whens your apt in May? Mine is on the 24th.

erin5550

#37 Post by erin5550 »

Steph30 wrote:
erin5550 wrote:

Thanks!... I think if you put pictures side by side like I have you will see movement.. I don't see much just by looking in the mirror, but like you.. I feel it when I floss!..

Bite plate really does suck.. lol but at least we can take it out, unlike people with the turbos on their teeth... which there is no escape from!... I feel like mine isn't fitting as well as it used to, hurts a lot at first when I put it in... I don't want to damage my teeth from the metal hooks.. but I also don't want to ask my ortho about it because then he will know I only wear it 60-75% of the time... this may be weird but i'd love to see a picture of yours? Whens your apt in May? Mine is on the 24th.
I definitely don't think I could have tolerated turbos! My bite plate feels loose. I don't know how they fix that, but I guess I will see. I'm still doing good and only taking it out when brushing and eating. My appointment is 5/18. Crappy quality but I can tell my tooth that jetted out before is pulling back in line with the rest of them. :D

Steph30

#38 Post by Steph30 »

erin5550 wrote: I definitely don't think I could have tolerated turbos! My bite plate feels loose. I don't know how they fix that, but I guess I will see. I'm still doing good and only taking it out when brushing and eating. My appointment is 5/18. Crappy quality but I can tell my tooth that jetted out before is pulling back in line with the rest of them. :D

Our bite plates are very similar, mine has two bars that wrap around my tooth though
biteplate.jpg
Proud of you for being so committed to keeping it in! - Mines in from around 6:30 pm - 7am, and then I try my best to keep it in on weekends while i'm at home. Do you talk normal with yours in?

Steph30

#39 Post by Steph30 »

Had my cleaning apt yesterday at my regular dentist.... It was not fun. My jaw... I don't know what happened but it must have gotten fatigued from having it open? Part way through the cleaning my lower jaw kept diving to the left and locking up! I had no control over it and it was so painful... We had to stop and the hygienist couldn't even get her fingers in my mouth to floss, which was the part I wanted the most! :( The dentist couldn't do a regular exam either because it was so painful and my jaw kept clamping down and almost biting him......Anyone experienced this? - He told me I really need to bring it up at my next ortho appointment.. Should I be worried? I do have TMJ, but I've never experienced it that bad at a cleaning.... I hope braces aren't making my jaw worse :( Scary

erin5550

#40 Post by erin5550 »

Steph30 wrote:
erin5550 wrote: I definitely don't think I could have tolerated turbos! My bite plate feels loose. I don't know how they fix that, but I guess I will see. I'm still doing good and only taking it out when brushing and eating. My appointment is 5/18. Crappy quality but I can tell my tooth that jetted out before is pulling back in line with the rest of them. :D

Our bite plates are very similar, mine has two bars that wrap around my tooth though

biteplate.jpg

Proud of you for being so committed to keeping it in! - Mines in from around 6:30 pm - 7am, and then I try my best to keep it in on weekends while i'm at home. Do you talk normal with yours in?
Mostly. If I am talking a bunch, or too fast, I sound like I have a lisp or like I'm tripping over words.

erin5550

#41 Post by erin5550 »

Steph30 wrote:Had my cleaning apt yesterday at my regular dentist.... It was not fun. My jaw... I don't know what happened but it must have gotten fatigued from having it open? Part way through the cleaning my lower jaw kept diving to the left and locking up! I had no control over it and it was so painful... We had to stop and the hygienist couldn't even get her fingers in my mouth to floss, which was the part I wanted the most! :( The dentist couldn't do a regular exam either because it was so painful and my jaw kept clamping down and almost biting him......Anyone experienced this? - He told me I really need to bring it up at my next ortho appointment.. Should I be worried? I do have TMJ, but I've never experienced it that bad at a cleaning.... I hope braces aren't making my jaw worse :( Scary

Before my braces my jaw locked up pretty regularly. It hasn't done it in a while, but I don't want to jinx it. I had a cleaning right before I got the braces on so I have about 4-5 months before my next cleaning. I'm worried about it (especially the flossing) being painful.

Steph30

#42 Post by Steph30 »

erin5550 wrote:

Before my braces my jaw locked up pretty regularly. It hasn't done it in a while, but I don't want to jinx it. I had a cleaning right before I got the braces on so I have about 4-5 months before my next cleaning. I'm worried about it (especially the flossing) being painful.
I was looking forward to someone else flossing my teeth other than me! ... The cleaning wasn't too bad, some weird sensations and a lot more flying water in my face haha.... My jaw is still sore though. I'm worried it will keep getting worse... I'm trying not to have anxiety about it.. If my jaw kept locking up id be really torn whether or not to continue with braces treatment if its making it worse! Cant imagine living every day with such a temperamental jaw! thinking about it makes my heart pound! :shock:

Steph30

#43 Post by Steph30 »

Week 5: My front teeth are quite sore again... the top front 6... all quite tender to the touch.. My molars off and on are hurting - hard to chew.. I find myself getting frustrated with the discomfort but I need to remain positive. I can see a lot of movement in both top and bottom and my molars have erupted quite a bit because the brace used to sit almost directly at my gum line and a lot of my molars I can see tooth now under the brace.. So I know things are happening.

I also noticed .. between my two front teeth on the bottom it looks like something is stuck in my teeth but I think its just a bit of free space? Cause I cant floss it out... I don't like that.. hoping they can file my teeth or something so they lay nicer together..

**Anyone else notice the "something in my teeth" look? What did your ortho do?..

Jaw is still quite sore as well... I did call Ortho as the dentist recommended but she said she wasn't going to bump my apt because there wasn't much she could do for me.

Bite plate is very painful to put in... I cringe when I have to.. my teeth must have moved quite a bit. Hoping just adjustment to bite plate will help...

I also have a wire at the end of my arch on the top right that's sticking out quite a bit and keeps catching on my cheek and ripping it... I find myself shoving tissue in there as the wax wont stay very well. Argh..

*think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts*

SoulfulRetreat

#44 Post by SoulfulRetreat »

Steph30 wrote:Week 5: My front teeth are quite sore again... the top front 6... all quite tender to the touch.. My molars off and on are hurting - hard to chew.. I find myself getting frustrated with the discomfort but I need to remain positive. I can see a lot of movement in both top and bottom and my molars have erupted quite a bit because the brace used to sit almost directly at my gum line and a lot of my molars I can see tooth now under the brace.. So I know things are happening.

I also noticed .. between my two front teeth on the bottom it looks like something is stuck in my teeth but I think its just a bit of free space? Cause I cant floss it out... I don't like that.. hoping they can file my teeth or something so they lay nicer together..

**Anyone else notice the "something in my teeth" look? What did your ortho do?..

Jaw is still quite sore as well... I did call Ortho as the dentist recommended but she said she wasn't going to bump my apt because there wasn't much she could do for me.

Bite plate is very painful to put in... I cringe when I have to.. my teeth must have moved quite a bit. Hoping just adjustment to bite plate will help...

I also have a wire at the end of my arch on the top right that's sticking out quite a bit and keeps catching on my cheek and ripping it... I find myself shoving tissue in there as the wax wont stay very well. Argh..

*think happy thoughts, think happy thoughts*
Hang in there! I know it is very painful at times and really can make you question why you even began the journey. Today is one of those days for me as the metal bands are really hurting and scraping my cheek and slicing up my tongue. I have the same issue with the front teeth being sore. Today, when the assistant was taking off the old wire, she barely touched my front teeth and I almost came up off the table it hurt so bad. Due to that, she decided to put on the next step up wire. She said she was going to place a thicker wire on today, but would not do so since my teeth were so tender. She told me it was normal because the front teeth have to move quite a bit. It hurts to brush my teeth, floss, and even chew. Hoping it feels better soon for the both of us. We got to hang in there and know that this is all worth it! :-)

str8k8

#45 Post by str8k8 »

Steph30 wrote: I also noticed .. between my two front teeth on the bottom it looks like something is stuck in my teeth but I think its just a bit of free space? Cause I cant floss it out... I don't like that.. hoping they can file my teeth or something so they lay nicer together..

Hey Steph30,

Turns out we were braced on the exact same day. I have innovation-c on top too. And will be getting innovation-r on bottom next month.

You're progress is amazing! You must be pleased!

I also have the "something in my teeth" look between a few of my teeth. I believe this is the 'black triangles' that people talk about!? And the ortho should at some point use IPR to reduce the space. I'm hoping so anyway.

Almost 2 months in now!! We can do it!!!