Second Braces Journey at 25

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

atrixa

Re: Second Braces Journey at 25

#31 Post by atrixa »

tillybrace wrote:I can see some real progress there. At this rate you will be done before me,which would be totally awesome for you.I am rooting for you. I just hope that i am not still in braces a year from now, like my nightmares keep telling me.
Thank you Tilly! I hope your journey doesn't last that much longer :?

Update photos below for 4 months. The gaps are continuing to close, which is fantastic. My teeth feel the most loose and clicky they've been in this whole process, which is weird. The gap between the left lateral and central has closed completely, the central gap is nearly done and the right side is coming along! It's not ideal to have the huge gaps between the laterals and incisors, but hopefully that will be sorted after my next appointment on the 5th July.

Upper arch braced (traditional metal) on 17/02/17
Debonded 17/01/18 with a fixed retainer
Estimated treatment time 18 months, actual time 11 months :-*

sneed1o1

#32 Post by sneed1o1 »

godutch wrote:
atrixa wrote:I don't think the Hawley retainers can cause a full relapse. I don't think an overjet could come back, for example. I think my overjet only came back when I stopped wearing the retainer entirely. However, if there is room for your teeth to move sideways in your mouth, if the extraction gap is still there a bit (my left one wasn't closed completely the first time) the Hawley won't stop your teeth drifting over to that side? The gap between my front teeth came back a bit with a Hawley and the right extraction gap opened up a bit (if I remember correctly).

I was also watching a Youtube video from a girl who documented her braces journey, and she was given a set of Hawley retainers and a set of Essix. She was saying that if she alternated week on week, the essix would feel tight in her mouth again, like her teeth were moving more with the Hawley.
Teeth never, ever move backwards, never (they never distalize nor tilt distally). You need to keep the Hawley activated, the U loop loosens overtime when the wire in the Hawley has some slack your teeth will evert and a gap will appear
It makes sense to me really, how is one piece of wire going to prevent teeth rotating back and moving sideways? If there's no force from all sides, like with the Essix, I'm not surprised they move a bit.
the teeth in the lower jaw do that ;)
Your story is a little similar to my own, minus the extractions and Hawley retainer issue. I had the general extractions (wisdom teeth removed before they even surfaced), and I had the Essix retainer on top, with a bonded retainer on both top and bottom. I demanded a Hawley retainer this time because the Essix helped contribute to my open bite. I used to have gaps in between my teeth, very small ones, which is why I got braces the first time around. I will have both the Hawley and Essix for the top and bottom, with a bonded added to the bottom teeth. We'll see how my orthodontist has me to alternate them, but I definitely don't want my anterior open bite to reappear. I'm curious to know which retainers are indeed the best at retention. Looking great! :HugeGrin:

atrixa

#33 Post by atrixa »

sneed1o1 wrote:
Your story is a little similar to my own, minus the extractions and Hawley retainer issue. I had the general extractions (wisdom teeth removed before they even surfaced), and I had the Essix retainer on top, with a bonded retainer on both top and bottom. I demanded a Hawley retainer this time because the Essix helped contribute to my open bite. I used to have gaps in between my teeth, very small ones, which is why I got braces the first time around. I will have both the Hawley and Essix for the top and bottom, with a bonded added to the bottom teeth. We'll see how my orthodontist has me to alternate them, but I definitely don't want my anterior open bite to reappear. I'm curious to know which retainers are indeed the best at retention. Looking great! :HugeGrin:
Oh, wow- did the ortho go into how the essix contributed to your open bite? I've never heard of that happening before, which is a bit scary. I've heard of things like thumb sucking and tongue thrust contributing to them.

I think that once my braces are off I'll update intermittently on how I do with the essix retainers as people might find it useful.

sneed1o1

#34 Post by sneed1o1 »

atrixa wrote:
sneed1o1 wrote:
Oh, wow- did the ortho go into how the essix contributed to your open bite? I've never heard of that happening before, which is a bit scary. I've heard of things like thumb sucking and tongue thrust contributing to them.

I think that once my braces are off I'll update intermittently on how I do with the essix retainers as people might find it useful.
I had an edge-to-edge bite prior to getting braces the first time. Afterwards, my bite really didn't change. He said those retainers can sometimes prevent the teeth from settling and forming a natural bite because they cover the tips of the teeth. I wore mine faithfully, and I did have tongue thrust AND bruxism! With all that said, my teeth never settled, and instead created an anterior open bite. I've retrained my tongue to sit on the roof of my mouth, but bruxism is a little harder to control at night. I may end up wearing the Essix during the day and sleeping with the Hawley.

atrixa

#35 Post by atrixa »

sneed1o1 wrote:
atrixa wrote:
sneed1o1 wrote:

I had an edge-to-edge bite prior to getting braces the first time. Afterwards, my bite really didn't change. He said those retainers can sometimes prevent the teeth from settling and forming a natural bite because they cover the tips of the teeth. I wore mine faithfully, and I did have tongue thrust AND bruxism! With all that said, my teeth never settled, and instead created an anterior open bite. I've retrained my tongue to sit on the roof of my mouth, but bruxism is a little harder to control at night. I may end up wearing the Essix during the day and sleeping with the Hawley.
Ah, I see. That sounds like a good idea. Any idea how long you'll be in retainers during the day for?

sneed1o1

#36 Post by sneed1o1 »

atrixa wrote:
sneed1o1 wrote:
atrixa wrote:

Ah, I see. That sounds like a good idea. Any idea how long you'll be in retainers during the day for?
I would think it would be 12 hrs for each retainer, probably for a year, then switch to nighttime wear. That seems to be the common rule of thumb a lot of orthodontists are following. I'd more than likely wear it during the day, even after the year is up!

atrixa

#37 Post by atrixa »

sneed1o1 wrote: I would think it would be 12 hrs for each retainer, probably for a year, then switch to nighttime wear. That seems to be the common rule of thumb a lot of orthodontists are following. I'd more than likely wear it during the day, even after the year is up!
Me too, at least on weekends! You and I both have first hand experience of how easily things can relapse. My ortho when I was a teenager only directed me to wear it full time for one week, then night time thereafter. I really don't think that was enough :(

atrixa

#38 Post by atrixa »

Central incisor gap now closed! Current compared with before braces (look how white my teeth were, though! :cry: ):

A few things to note- turmeric definitely stains powerchains, and to a certain extent, the teal ligs although it's not that noticable. I think i'm going to have to ban the stuff until a few days before adjustments.
The teeth on the left of my mouth are lower than my right, so I imagine they might take quite a while to even out. Maybe i'll need some brackets readjusting? We'll see.
Whenever I floss those front teeth, it feels like i'm putting razor wire into my gums. I suppose squeezing teeth together will make the gums a bit sensitive. Hopefully at my next appointment my ortho will extend the power chain to the canines, then my smile will look a bit wider.

atrixa

#39 Post by atrixa »

So, I had my third adjustment today at 4 and a half months. Not at all what I expected, but I think it's all good news! I now have metal ties between my laterals instead of elastic powerchains, a thicker wire with gold hooks above the laterals, and a power chain that's attached between the laterals and my back molars. So, it looks like we're closing the gap between the laterals and my canines by shifting the teeth backwards instead of closing the canines up with my front teeth and then swinging them all back with springs, like my previous ortho did. I'm really pleased with this. I chose a lightish purple for my ligatures, which I think is quite pretty. (Pics below). I'll be avoiding turmeric and too much coffee to avoid staining. I also realised that two of the ingredients in my mouthwash (I was using Vitis, then later Corsodyl Daily) were causing brown stains on the glue and general dingyness. You can see it on one of my canines especially. I've switched to Colgate Max White mouthwash instead.

atrixa

#40 Post by atrixa »

I thought I'd update after a few days of having this power chain configuration. The pain has been pretty bad- my ortho at my appointment actually said "We're not doing anything too mad" REALLY?! There are metal hooks in my face, for goodness sake! My bite has also been knocked wayyy out, which has made chewing difficult and I've had no idea where to rest my teeth, so I end up chewing on the inside of my mouth. I think this is settling down now though. I got really worried at first and ended up researching single arch braces treatment, concerned that I was going to ruin my bite forever. However, it seems like I'm actually a pretty good candidate for this sort of treatment because of all the gaps, but as I already know I'll have to be extremely diligent about retention.

tillybrace

#41 Post by tillybrace »

atrixa wrote:I thought I'd update after a few days of having this power chain configuration. The pain has been pretty bad- my ortho at my appointment actually said "We're not doing anything too mad" REALLY?! There are metal hooks in my face, for goodness sake! My bite has also been knocked wayyy out, which has made chewing difficult and I've had no idea where to rest my teeth, so I end up chewing on the inside of my mouth. I think this is settling down now though. I got really worried at first and ended up researching single arch braces treatment, concerned that I was going to ruin my bite forever. However, it seems like I'm actually a pretty good candidate for this sort of treatment because of all the gaps, but as I already know I'll have to be extremely diligent about retention.
Single arch treatment?
I wanted that and was told that dentist don;t do that. I almost feel conned.
But your teeth look good, I can see all that awesome movement

atrixa

#42 Post by atrixa »

tillybrace wrote:
Single arch treatment?
I wanted that and was told that dentist don;t do that. I almost feel conned.
But your teeth look good, I can see all that awesome movement
Thank you! Yeah, it seems to vary so much from practitioner to practitioner. My orthodontist's office seems to have no problem offering single arch treatment where it would work, but some don't seem to like doing it. I think you have to have gaps already and no problems with your bite in the back of your mouth (which was my case) for it to work well, according to one website I was looking at. Some ortho's seem very anti single-arch, though. Shame, since it works out so much cheaper, at least here in the UK.

atrixa

#43 Post by atrixa »

Argh, I've just noticed photo bucket going funny. Who knew you couldn't use it for 3rd party hosting anymore. I'll switch to another one for the future, but have a look on this page for the old ones: http://s199.photobucket.com/user/atrixa/profile/

I haven't noticed any movement with this last adjustment. Disappointing, since it's probably been the most painful.

atrixa

#44 Post by atrixa »

Ok, there has been some movement now, but really just on my right side:
First day with these power chains:
Today:
Left side first day:
Today:
Progress so far, day 1 of braces:
Today:

A massive improvement in 5 months, I think we can all agree!

atrixa

#45 Post by atrixa »

So, I had another adjustment today. I went with powder blue bands. I got new power chains and a stronger wire. I think he said .34? Might be wrong there.

It's almost 6 months now, and I'm really happy with the progress. Oh, if you're looking for stain-resistant bands, the purple ones from the previous post were really good.