First time braces at 33

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Vega

Re: First time braces at 33

#31 Post by Vega »

Today is the Smile distractor-removalday!
5 months after the operation.
I'm nervous :?

Not much going on since my last post. No discomfort or pain.
I'm figuring out how to keep my teeth stainfree, and it's getting better I think.

Vega

#32 Post by Vega »

Smile distractor out!
It wasn't so bad as I tought. They removed only the 'bar' but not the screws that kept the bar in place.
They will remove the screws during my next operation.
I had anesthesia in the roof of my mouth, because he gave it so quick it didn't hurt as much.
I had some pain after but after a half an hour it was gone, no painkillers needed.

I will need surgery to move my upper jaw more to the left, this will fix my midline and my bite. They will also tilt it a bit inwards because of my overbite.
Lower jaw is going to move a little forward.

Surgeon talked about the operation to be planned for november or december, if my ortho agrees.

Pussinboots698

#33 Post by Pussinboots698 »

I got my braces at 34 (10 months ago now) was the best decision I have ever made! I never used to smile because I was so embarrsed, now I cant stop :D I don't even notice the braces. Congratulations on making the brave step and wish you all the best on your journey.

Vega

#34 Post by Vega »

Pussinboots698 wrote:I got my braces at 34 (10 months ago now) was the best decision I have ever made! I never used to smile because I was so embarrsed, now I cant stop :D I don't even notice the braces. Congratulations on making the brave step and wish you all the best on your journey.
Thanks! I wish you all the best too :D

Small update.
Last week I had spacers again, between my back molars wich were 'free' of brackets/bands untill yesterday.
I have cemented bands placed on my back molars now. It hurts :lol:
I was getting so comfy with my braces that I forgot that they could hurt. Didn't sleep so great last night and this morning I took a painkiller.
It will get better in a few days.
He also changed my wires for a thinner one.

Next app is in four weeks, not sure what they will be doing but i'm guessing a wire replacement.

After that I can start to count down to my holiday! Jeeeeeej. :jump:
I wanted to wait untill I got my expander out to plan a holiday.

Vega

#35 Post by Vega »

Update, had my last app the 2nd of october.

Got new wires upper and lower.
It was a relief getting my last wires out, they felt ubertight and also the wire started to poke in my cheek.
Had a lot of discomfort the weeks before my last app.

Now everthing is fine, no pain or such. :)

A few days ago I was eating a banana and i saw my upper front teethmarks in it. It was a nice arch/line shaped form. No more wonkey weird 90 degree angle.
I was so happy, i showed my boyfriend :lol:

Next app is the end of november, going on holiday first.
Then in december the first app with the surgeon for my double jawsurgery.

Vega

#36 Post by Vega »

Back from vacation and had my last app the 20th.
Upper wire was changed for a thicker one.
I have developed a gap in my lower arch, so I got a powerchain on my lower wire now.

I had no problems on vacation with my braces. :jump:
I did bought a full face mask for snorkeling so I didn't have to bite down on a snorkel. Worked great!

Vega

#37 Post by Vega »

I have my date of surgery.. the 16th of January

I'm not really scared for the pain after surgery. That can be managed with ice, painkillers and sleep but I always get supernervous for the prepping of the surgery.
I hate getting up early, staying sober, waiting in the room untill it's time for your surgery, getting led into the operating room, seeing everybody there getting ready for you, the machines and tools, getting the IV for the anesthesia.. I really hate that part. In my hospital we don't get a little pill to make you more calm before surgery. Maybe I should ask.

Lot's to do before the 16th, I have an ortho app the 18th, they will be adding the hooks for surgery on my brackets.
The 21st back to the clinic for measurements and photo's.
A dental cleaning on the 9th of january because my surgeon really insist on that.

Vega

#38 Post by Vega »

Last adjustment on the 18th
New upper wire, but a thin one.
He removed the powerchain on my lower teeth, the gap closed a little but not much.
Have an app tonight with the surgeon to take measurments and such.

Vega

#39 Post by Vega »

2 Weeks untill double jaw surgery

The plan;
Moving my lower jaw more forward and readjusting.
Tipping in my upper jaw, readjusting it (midline) and shorten it.
Apparantly I also have a bit of a gummy smile.. that's new, I never felt/seen it that way. So that will be corrected as well.
Oh and I'm getting a reduction of my cheek fat. I always thought I had a puffy face (although I only weigh about 45 kg)

I saw my surgeon the 21st of december. They took a lot of x-rays, molds, measurements.
Surgery will take about 2,5 hours (short time?), I'm getting a tube down my nose into my stomach for the blood, that's what scares me the most. I hope they insert it while I'm under anesthetic. :?
Doing a lot of reading about the subject and thankfully found a lot of positive story's.

My family is very supporting but also tell me that they think the surgery is not necessary.
I feel like I am on a point of no return, my bite is currently so bad and my midline is noticeable off. My smile is even more crooked than before. Just braces won't do the trick anymore.

Vega

#40 Post by Vega »

1 week to go and I started to prep;

I bought 2 sippy cups, 3 small plastic babyspoons and a baby -toothbrush.
Also some wet wipes to refresh myself after surgery.
Made a list of my favorite soft/liquidfoods to purchase.
Still have to buy some Arnica-gel and lipbalm and pick up my prescriptions (mouthwash, antibiotics and painkillers)
Not a lot to prep,I still have a lot of things from my previous surgery. (coolpads, jaw bra, ..)

Today I have my annual cleaning at the dentist. Looking forward to that. :)

Pandanini84

#41 Post by Pandanini84 »

I had my cleaning done on thursday in preparation for my braces. My gums are extra sour. Now it's making me nervous to get my braces.

Vega

#42 Post by Vega »

Oh I love cleanings with my dentist. The dentist are so very nice and I'm always so proud that I don't have cavities and fairly clean teeth (plaque-wise that is) :D
Don't worry too much Pandanini84, putting on the braces doesn't hurt and the pain after is more than manageble with (light) painkillers.
I have brackets on all of my teeth and they were severly crowded, so I had a lot of movement. The pain never got out of control. I also never had to use any wax and seeing that I have a small mouth with a lot of metal, that's a miracle. :D

Operation day is tomorrow, I'm so nervous.
I had a strange dream last night. I dreamed that I forgot my app today with the ortho for the hooks, that I forgot to bring my paperwork to the hospital and that they didn't fix my midline.
Today is my last day of work, I hope I can get some work done.

Everything is ready to get as comfortable as I can in the next few days.
I instructed my boyfriend on what to do and where everything is, so that I don't have to talk a lot.
I don't think he 'get's' the severness of this operation and the aftermath that come's with it, he's very positive (maybe he's doing it to keep me calm :lol: ).

Vega

#43 Post by Vega »

Jeeej i did it! :D
The part i dreaded the most is over!
Everything went well, I will write some more next couple of days

Vega

#44 Post by Vega »

Surgery day;
I went to the hospital at 11 am to get registred. The operation was at 13u00 and lasted about 3 to 3.5 hours.
I was back from recovery around 17u30. They took me to the intensive care -unit wich is standard procedure after this surgery. I got attached to a machine wich kept my cheecks cool. Spend the night there. Did not sleep because I couldn't find a position to sleep and I had to pee.. constantly.
As I mentioned before I was scared of the nasaltube (going to the stomach) and yes, it was as horrible as I imagined. :( The feeling when they pull out that thing, it's the stuff of nightmares (for me that is). Nope, not a fan.
I (dry)vomited once but because I had the tube, nothing came out. The follow hours I was feeling a bit sick but nothing to bad.
The surgeon came by and told me everything went fine, my lower jaw was moved by 1 cm. When moving it a part of it broke, so they had to fix that with some more plates and screws. Also my midline got fixed, it's still a bit of but I looks way better than before and is now threatable with ortho.

Day 1 post op, back home around noon.
Had a consultation with my surgeon's assistant, he explained the elastics. In about 4 days I have to replace them. I have some extra's because of the part that broke off.
Swelling and getting used to the elastics. I can open about 0.5 cm. Just enough to talk and eat.
I'm not very swollen, it's kinda suprising how little swelling I have. Not more that after the expander-sugery.
Feeling very tired but I try to walk around as much as I could. Had some pudding and soup.
Still have to pee a lot.

Day 2 post op.
I slept oke, had some tea and pudding. Watched some tv.
Took a nap.
My diner was fish with mashed potatoes in the blender with a lot of milk. It actually tasted good.
I'm annoyed with my stuffed nose, it hurts when I swallow. It think its because of the swelling that pushes against my nose. (it's beter now on day 3).

Day 3 post op.
Slept oke, swelling is a little less. Nose cleared.
No bruising (keeping fingers crossed, it is still possible)

So the pro's;
No nosebleeds
No drooling
No pain
Elastics not to tight
Swelling a lot less then expected

Okay I know there is still a lot of swelling but I think I look a lot more balanced already. When I smile it's not crooked anymore. The corners of my mouth go up equal.

Vega

#45 Post by Vega »

day 5

I changed my elastics, my god this is soooo painfull. This is the most pain i felt since my last surgery.
The previous elastics were not this thight, doctor said i could leave them off while eating and brushing but putting them on is taking me half an hour and i’m also afraid i don’t put them back correctly.
So i’m going to keep them on untill my next app, this tursday.

My nose is congested again, it’s off and on. I have to breathe trough my mouth wich makes it very dry. It bothers me most when im sleeping, i wake up feeling im choking.
I did drip some blood the past few days.

Swelling has gone down on the left side of my face, right side still pretty swollen... but.. no bruising at all.
Also the part under my nose is very swollen.

Numbness, alltough everything is numb i still feel it when i touch my face. So i expect there is no damage on the nerves.

Im going back to work tomorrow, only a half day. I work as a receptionist but talking is minimal because i handle lots of things via email.