My Official Straight-Teeth Journey to begin December 6, 2016

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tillybrace

Re: My Official Straight-Teeth Journey to begin December 6, 2016

#16 Post by tillybrace »

cocomacd wrote:Photos

OK wow, it's almost nother fair how good your teeth look before braces, obviously I am jealous but also really excited for you

upload img

cocomacd

#17 Post by cocomacd »

Wow, thank you Tilly!! That is a compliment, I didn't think they were that great, so that makes me feel pretty happy!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Journey Begins December 6, 2016
First time, Self ligating brackets
Age 38

Sentence: 12-18 months

cocomacd

#18 Post by cocomacd »

I finally gave in to some wax two days ago. The very back bracket has the wire sticking out just enough to be really irritating. It was instant relief.

This morning I am noticing that my bottom jaw has to move over either direction to touch the side teeth. Evidenty things really are moving?! My lower jaw is underdeveloped, so hopefully once I get the brackets in the lower they will open up a bit and get back to meeting the top set. I hope that doesn't cause issues for adding lower brackets. I'm really not wanting those bite blocks based on my readings here. Lol

Waking each morning with a super dry mouth. Yuck! Still tender, but not awful. It is a weird sensation to bite down in one spot and feel the teeth moving on the other side of my mouth! Bizarre!

Next appt January 19.
Age 38

Shelleyt

#19 Post by Shelleyt »

I have always had pretty bad dry mouth at night, but since I got braces it has been worse. I sleep with wax on the two furthest brackets on the lower right side because those would bother my tongue (I have lingual braces) at night when my mouth is dry, but I still haven't gotten over the annoying dryness! I sleep with a water bottle by my bed and that's the closest solution I have.

Glad you survived the first week and that things are starting to move around in there!

cocomacd

#20 Post by cocomacd »

So a short update - not much seems to be happening! I am completely used to the braces on top - no waxing, no pain meds, cheeks seem to be calloused up and are not bothered by the brackets. So all of that is great. Eating is a pain, I hate feeling like I have food in my teeth everywhere. My husband says he can't see anything ever, but I always just 'feel it'. My toothbrush is my best friend. LOL. I do feel like the glue is sort of discoloring. Maybe from my daily cup of coffee? Once I brush though, it seems better. I think my whole tooth is glued. Honestly, I think the girl who assisted got glue on my whole tooth and they didn't wipe it all off. Does anyone else find that they have more glue than bracket? LOL.

So now I'm concerned because I basically have three and a half weeks left until I'm supposed to get the lowers bonded. They allowed time for my upper front tooth to come forward a bit so it wouldn't bite down on the lower brackets - but honestly, it doesn't feel like its moved at all?! So I'm really hoping it does because I don't want to just have the top anymore, I want the bottom too so it feels like its really changing things. LOL

Anyway - doing ok!
Age 38

cocomacd

#21 Post by cocomacd »

So I'm six weeks in and the top are progressing! In all my years of having teeth I have never been able to floss easily until recently! Incredible! It's even creating a space at the top. Here is the day before I went in for the Lower bonding.

Hold for a second update!
Age 38

cocomacd

#22 Post by cocomacd »

So here I am, one day after lower binding.

I thought the top was bad but man oh man, the bottom is really sore. Not only that but the way the lower teeth are turned in, the top hit down on the brackets. They did place cushions in the lowers and that is helping but I am fearful I won't be able to eat anything solid for a while because my teeth don't touch at all!!!!! This makes me really nervous because I work out 5-6 days a week and really need a bit of food to fuel my body, so I'm going to have to come up with some creative ways to get through this one. They ended up putting a power chain on the top four to prevent more spacing. So far the top is doing ok. I have self lighting so they don't have to use ligs but they did in a few and they left three lowers without. Um...how am I to survive my OCD with three missing ligs?! Lmao! I wonder if my ortho would think I was totally neurotic to call and ask them for them. Lol....I kid. I think!
Age 38

Mzthump

#23 Post by Mzthump »

I feel your pain. I can't bite down completely either because my k9 is hitting my bottom bracket and I live on food because I also work out 5-6 days a week Eeek. Does it get better? I feel like my bite is getting worst um one week in.

tillybrace

#24 Post by tillybrace »

I have actully have been accused of having a eating disorder twice on my life, before braces when i used to have to scramble my food to be able to eat due to how bad my teeth where, and about a month ago when i had to start breaking up my food to eat after powere chains stopped me from biting down.

Not being able to bite down is not a eating disorder....
My point was that you soon will be able to bite down again and with your smile to be envioius of.

atrixa

#25 Post by atrixa »

tillybrace wrote:I have actully have been accused of having a eating disorder twice on my life, before braces when i used to have to scramble my food to be able to eat due to how bad my teeth where, and about a month ago when i had to start breaking up my food to eat after powere chains stopped me from biting down.

Oh wow, I haven't heard that one before. Surely anyone with common sense would just assume it's the brace?!
I remember being on liquids after each appointment with my first set. Biting into even soft food was unbearable :/
Upper arch braced (traditional metal) on 17/02/17
Debonded 17/01/18 with a fixed retainer
Estimated treatment time 18 months, actual time 11 months :-*

BlondeCam

#26 Post by BlondeCam »

They are looking great!!! My journey starts 3/2/17 (2nd time around) at 41.
Seeing your progress is really exciting. I can't wait to get my front teeth straight again.

tillybrace

#27 Post by tillybrace »

atrixa wrote:
tillybrace wrote:I have actully have been accused of having a eating disorder twice on my life, before braces when i used to have to scramble my food to be able to eat due to how bad my teeth where, and about a month ago when i had to start breaking up my food to eat after powere chains stopped me from biting down.

Oh wow, I haven't heard that one before. Surely anyone with common sense would just assume it's the brace?!
I remember being on liquids after each appointment with my first set. Biting into even soft food was unbearable :/
Just think of the smile you are going to have at end.

Plainj

#28 Post by Plainj »

Cocomacd, I'm enjoying reading about your journey especially these beginning stages. I'm jumping in the boat with the rest of you. It's just a matter of me making an appointment with the ortho I've already chosen. I look forward to reading more about your experiences.

@BlondeCam, it's comforting to see another seasoned adult getting braces. I will be a first timer.

Happy braces journey to all.

cocomacd

#29 Post by cocomacd »

Hey all! Still getting used to this bottom set. My teeth still aren't really touching but eating is getting a little easier. Still can't eat salad and I'm soooo craving it. I'm seeing some slight movement with the bottom but not like I did with the top. I'm still concerned about the little gap in the front middle...power chain on but I don't know....hopefully it will close again one day, lol. It's the food that is the most bothersome. I can't stand having things stuck in my braces even while I'm eating. It's like I can't brush soon enough each time. It will be worth it.....it will be worth it.....it will be worth it.....

Lol
Age 38

cocomacd

#30 Post by cocomacd »

Oh..... I am seriously contemplating getting colored ligatures next time. Am I too old for that? Like for real?? Maybe I could start with a pastel and if I like it I can go bolder the next time. I seriously want hot pink. LOL!!!
Age 38