Braces at 48 - thanks Air Force

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

craftybracesdiva

Braces at 48 - thanks Air Force

#1 Post by craftybracesdiva »

Hello. I'm so happy I just found this site, for one now I know I'm not the only one going through this besides kids and two I'm not nuts. I've been in my braces since 9/2/16 and still struggling to not hate them. My ortho put 2 longer springs on my bottom teeth this morning and it hurt so bad I started googling what the heck they are and why am I suffering this obnoxious pain, that's how I stumbled on this forum.

Here's my backstory (hopefully not too long winded). I went into the Air Force at 18 years old. They give you a thorough check up during Basic to make sure that you're fit to serve, and part of that was dental exams. It was discovered that I had all 4 of my wisdom teeth and a baby canine on the bottom left side of my mouth with the adult tooth impacted in my gums. I didn't even realize it until they told me, I had no pain, irritation or anything. I immediately became a hot training commodity! They wanted to give me surgery right away but I threw a fit that I wanted to stay with my class, well first I politely said "no thank you I don't want to have surgery sir/ma'am". I was then educated about the contract I signed and the rights I gave away, even now 30 years later it gets me choked up and upset. They agreed to let me graduate from Basic with my class and would do the surgery right after. I go to Wilford Hall and end up leaving 3 days later! They put me under, cut me from one side of my mouth to the other side, took out my wisdom teeth and "chipped" away the adult tooth. I was given too much anesthesia (their words) which almost took me out permanently. The recovery was absolutely horrible and still gives me nightmares. Throughout my career in the AF I was given 2 very painful root canals which left me with this weird grey looking thing, but eventually they left me alone.

Fast forward 30 years and my longtime dentist has told me "look woman enough with that baby tooth, it's barely hanging on something has to be done". Over the years I explored my options for the tooth, the space is too small for a traditional implant, shaving the teeth down on either side to create a space would compromise way more than it would help, go without a tooth there (no way Jose!), or lastly get braces to make a space for an implant. So here I am 61days later wondering how bad it would have been to have a hole in my mouth. Braces are the gift that keeps on giving...just when you think "whew seems the worst is over"...Boom they remind you who the boss is. My treatment plan is 12 to 18 months according to my Ortho. I've had one adjustment so far, she put a bigger wire on the top and added springs to 3 teeth on the bottom but left the same wire in. I did the tylenol/motrin thing and felt better after a couple of days.

This weekend I lost a wrestling match with a piece of chicken which I think popped the wire out of the bracket on my back tooth. I have to chew super weird because I have bumpers on which ugh.....make eating so hard. Side girly vain tidbit I have lost weight which makes me giggle. I drove to the Ortho thinking they would pop it back in and send me on my way....WRONG!! She put me in a bigger wire on the bottom and added 2 much longer springs which feel like she was about to pull my teeth out of my head. So now I'm sitting here waiting for the advil to kick in thinking....thanks alot Air force!

craftybracesdiva

Re: Braces at 48 - thanks Air Force

#2 Post by craftybracesdiva »

I have a question about the bumpers I have...do they generally stay on throughout the course of the treatment? My Ortho is a nice lady but very straightforward and blunt. I asked her at my first adjustment appointment if she was going to take them off and she said 'no" and that was it lol. I bet if I didn't have them in I'd be able to relatively normal. TIA

Juthoff

#3 Post by Juthoff »

USAF and their dentists. Don't get me started. Impacted wisdom tooth while in basic. Diagnosed as mumps or some contagious unidentifiable infection. 6 weeks in hospital.

I feel for you.

Ramm87

#4 Post by Ramm87 »

A unique story, good thing I wasn't enforced in the army to do these treatments. Look at the good side they paid it :HugeGrin: