Linguals, acceledent, and impacted canines (oh my!)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

SinkFullOfDinner

Re: Linguals, acceledent, and impacted canines (oh my!)

#16 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

Wow, I can't believe that you might get the tops off after just 7-8 mo! That would be pretty terrific. No more of the marbles in your mouth that you referenced. Just a note of caution, though (and not to jinx it at all). Some time before the end of the year, my ortho said that my bottom arch was looking good and "almost there." But when I asked if that meant the lower braces would be coming off soon, he said no, not likely. He said that because there was still more work to be done on the top, taking the lowers off would make it harder for him to coordinate the two arches and the bite. I guess that made sense at the time. So, your ortho might have to leave the tops on a bit longer for the same reason, but at least they'll look awesome, and nobody will see the linguals behind them anyway. Good luck! Sounds like things are working out well.

Shelleyt

#17 Post by Shelleyt »

You are definitely right. I would not mind keeping the top on beyond that time when it comes. Only issue is speech, as you said I had a small period of time where speech was perfect- about 3-4 months in. After I got a rectangular wire it reverted some. It's still completely fine but it is still different than before I started all this. I would be excited to get them off, but since the bottom will be at least another year or more, I don't mind keeping top on. With linguals it's kind of funny since the retainer will be more visible than the braces, so I would rather just keep the braces for some extra time!

SinkFullOfDinner

#18 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

Shelleyt wrote:With linguals it's kind of funny since the retainer will be more visible than the braces, so I would rather just keep the braces for some extra time!
You know, that never occurred to me, but it's so true! You don't get "outed" until you have to wear a retainer during the day for some period of time. Duh. I guess I'd rather have the linguals doing the retaining while I could, especially if that results in being able to go straight to night-wear only on top when everything comes off. Great option for you if it's available. Finger crossed! Unfortunately, with the linguals gone now, I'm just watching the calendar, squinting in the mirror, and eager to get to the less obvious retainer stage...assuming it's an aligner-type retainer.

fwiw, you'll be happy to know that when the top linguals came off, there was NO re-adjustment period on speech. Just like it never even happened. That may not surprise you, but I wondered a bit if there would be a few days of the tongue/pronunciation getting used to everything being outta there. Nope. Just felt big and spacious! You'll love it, though the feeling may not last for either if a bonded permanent retainer on top is part of the plan. Like getting parole revoked!

Shelleyt

#19 Post by Shelleyt »

Long time with no update!

Still have the linguals on. Unfortunately my treatment is very behind. I had to switch orthos a few months ago once it became clear that mine had no idea what they were doing. The new ortho has made a lot of treatment changes for the better!

Upper teeth are on the last wire. They look good except for one tooth that may need to have some extra attention paid to it later. Ortho mentioned I may need one more wire made by the lab.

My lower right canine is finally on the wire (took 9 months to rotate it enough to get it on the wire with a proper lingual bracket) and it should be in place by the end of next month. I started with 4 impacted canines when I was younger and am now down to one in progress!

The baby tooth was removed and the impacted canine was exposed several months ago. I also had wilckidontics performed to help it move quicker. Slow progress there. Three months in and still a handful of links before it will be at the surface. Once it is out of my gums, it will have to be brought up enough to get a proper lingual bracket and THEN we will go through the six lingual preformed wires that I started treatment with. Unfortunately, all this amounts to at least another year and likely longer than that.

Most difficult part lately has been my bite. Bottom teeth have become severely flared to make room for the two canines and that had left me with an edge to edge and very crooked bite. We can't start fixing bite until the canines are both in place, so I'll have to deal with this another 3-8 months unfortunately. I also still have huge bite blocks which may be unnecessary at this point but they won't remove them. The bite issues make my bottom linguals much more visible than they were when I started treatment, and the missing tooth doesn't help the look!

At any rate, staying positive because at least they're lingual and at least there is finally progress after all those initial months with none. My new ortho is much more responsive and knowledgeable than the former so I am so glad I made the switch. Listen to your instincts if you are having treatment problems like I was! If nothing is moving at six months, you need to seek out other opinions!

Shelleyt

#20 Post by Shelleyt »

Another update gap but here I am!

Things went kind of down hill after my last update. Top teeth were perfectly in line but the bottom were a mess. The impacted canine soon made it know that it was in fact not going to budge. Soon after, the tooth was extracted and I had bone grafting done to prepare for an implant. Since then, it’s been some time to allow the gap to close (lots of extra space was made to have room to pull the impacted tooth up) but now once again the space is a little too small. However, apparently it’s a small fix and closing the gaps of my front four teeth will apparently make enough room.

I also had a small victory last week by having the bite blocks removed. I’ve had two big ones on my second premolars since the very beginning and my bite has gone from slight overbite, to edge to edge, and even an underbite during treatment. Now
it is back to slight overbite territory. According to my ortho she doesn’t think we will need any elastics for the bite- she believes it will be fully corrected on its own by the time the implant is ready. So that will make two rounds of braces without ever having elastics!

When all of their statements started sounding positive and I realized I only have one lower wire to go (out of 7 originally), I asked for an estimated time frame and they said 3 more appointments, which is only 3-4 months since I go every 4 weeks. This is great news since I still have a gap for that lower canine and can’t have the crown placed until everything is done. So we may be rounding out to the end. Def some small spaces to close up on the bottom and one twisty top tooth that needs some corrective action, but if they think they can do it in a quarter then I’m not going to convince them otherwise!

SinkFullOfDinner

#21 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

Shelleyt wrote: I also had a small victory last week by having the bite blocks removed...
my ortho she doesn’t think we will need any elastics for the bite...
I asked for an estimated time frame and they said 3 more appointments, which is only 3-4 months since I go every 4 weeks. This is great news... So we may be rounding out to the end.
You really hit the trifecta of great news, Shelley!! It couldn't have gone much better, could it? Good luck in the home stretch. You've definitely earned it!