A birthday present to myself at 33

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Bracingmyself33

A birthday present to myself at 33

#1 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

An introduction of myself:

A 33-year-old Singaporean lady with Class I incisor malocclusion and bimaxillary proclination. I always wanted braces but treatment was delayed time after time due to procrastination (fear of discomfort and mockery).

I started going for braces consultation at 29 but the plan was again pushed aside as my husband and I were trying for a child. When I was 31, I had a miscarriage. And realizing how much we wanted a child, we tried for one and sought various treatments. Fast forward, I'm now 33 and still childless. One night when I was feeling pitiful, it occurred to me that life is too short for regrets. Thus, the sudden and firm decision to start the braces treatment now.

So after extractions of 2 upper wisdom and 4 pre-molars (at one go; I don't ever want to go through that again), I'm embraced with Damon Clear for an estimated 2-year treatment.

Pictures coming up! :oops:

Bracingmyself33

Re: A birthday present to myself at 33

#2 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

As seen, my incisors are the problematic ones. There were 2 bottom teeth which were not braced due to severe overcrowding so my orthodontist gave me 'sleeves' to prevent my gums and lips from being sliced by the wire.

On a side note, I remember how miserable I was during the first week. I believe I was that close to clinical depression! I couldn't eat properly, was hyper-salivating and had to speak with a lisp. I even wanted to have the braces removed for good! But nothing beats a good talk and cry with my husband. Miraculously, I felt tonnes better the following day.
Last edited by Bracingmyself33 on Sun Aug 28, 2016 5:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Cyndi2016

#3 Post by Cyndi2016 »

Congratulations, Good Luck with everything!

Traditional Clear Uppers
Traditional Metal Lowers

Bracingmyself33

#4 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

And soon, I was due for my 1st appointment a month later. My orthodontist decided to remove the sleeves and threw in a power chain to pull my first premolar back to create more space and she upgraded my wire 2 times thicker! I wasn't aware until her assistant made a follow-up call three days to check on me. I was whining how painful I was! But I could see the effects of the power chain... gaps were created within 2 weeks.

I was glad that the sleeves were removed. :wink: I thought they looked hideous.

Bracingmyself33

#5 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

Went for my 2nd adjustment recently. Nothing exciting going on except for more tightening and change of power chain. Unfortunately, my right canine rotated a tad too much so my orthodontist decided to not place any power chain on it.

Since last week, my left pre-molar which is the 'anchor' for the braces and and left lateral incisor started to hurt. Worried that there's cavity, I dropped my ortho a message and she assured that the pain is due to the moving. My bite has changed too, causing me to speak with a lisp again. Thank god I'm done with presentations for now.

The pain is not stopping me from devouring the entire packet of rice. :HugeGrin:

Shelleyt

#6 Post by Shelleyt »

Wow you have really beautiful teeth- so white and shaped really nice! You are going to have a great smile when they are straight! Good luck!

Bracingmyself33

#7 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

Can't believe it's been 4 months since I'm braced!

My subsequent adjustment visit in September was uneventful. The doc had wanted to add on the molar buildups but I had 2 busy weeks ahead (company D&D, meeting my dearest girlfriend for dinner date, and an IUI) so postponed to the next visit. Thus, it was the usual - trimming of wire and power chain to create more space.

So I had my most recent visit on 22 Oct. It was an embarrassing visit... I having this persistent hacking cough and was coughing and gagging non-stop when the Doc was curing the remaining 4 brackets on my front teeth. She mentioned that she will only bond my last molars when I recovered from my cough because there is no way she can do it when I'm coughing so badly. Perhaps I was stressing her with my coughing and gagging that the molar buildup on my right upper molar wasn't built well (sharp edges, cutting into my tongue)... :( Will be seeing her later today to smooth out the edges.

Because I haven't experienced much pain since my 2nd month, the pain struck me bad this time around. My newly bonded lateral incisors were hurting soooooooooo bad! And because I just did a round of IUI a week ago, I'm relying on just paracetamol, instead of the trusty arcoxia for pain relief. My cough is not helping either. My tongue tends to hit my bottom row teeth (which 2 were newly bonded). The pain... :yuck: :crazy:

Anyway, molar buildups are indeed a pain in the behind! I'm speaking with a lisp... something I am very embarrassed of. If not for the busy work week, I would have taken the week off to indulge in self-pity! I have to learn how to chew again... Been on soft diet for the last 2 days and I just finished a small slice of banana cake. It's been a challenging weekend of pain and lack of sleep.

Pictures time!

This is what the molar buildups translate to... My teeth no longer touches one another!

I felt that my lateral incisors are shifting out! Or am I hallucinating? :shock:

bez

#8 Post by bez »

Wow, I wish my teeth were as white as yours. Why do you need molar buildups? Do you have a deep bite? I wonder if I'll eventually get them as well.

Bracingmyself33

#9 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

bez wrote:Wow, I wish my teeth were as white as yours. Why do you need molar buildups? Do you have a deep bite? I wonder if I'll eventually get them as well.
I feel that they can be whiter. :(

If you see my very 1st photo, my upper lateral incisors were hindered by the bottom ones. Thus the need for molar buildups in order for them to be pulled out.

I hope you need not have the buildups! They are so irritating! :ThumbsDown: :ThumbsDown: :ThumbsDown:

r1r1r12000

#10 Post by r1r1r12000 »

Best of luck with your molar buildups, Bracingmyself33!

I had a very noticeable lisp with my buildups for the first week and a half. Since then, my speech is pretty much back to normal, except that my "s" sounds more like "sss."

Bracingmyself33

#11 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

r1r1r12000 wrote:Best of luck with your molar buildups, Bracingmyself33!

I had a very noticeable lisp with my buildups for the first week and a half. Since then, my speech is pretty much back to normal, except that my "s" sounds more like "sss."
That's comforting to know! My orthodontist did remind me that I will need around 2 weeks to get used to it.

Another problem with the buildups is the chewing! I sometimes 'misaligned- my bite and my jaw hurts while chewing. :?

Bracingmyself33

#12 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

Today marks the 130th day of my braces journey. So thought of updating this space...

My right lateral incisor has been in pain since bonded 9 days ago. I'm staying away from painkillers because I don't want to be over relient on it.

Seems like I've grinded down quite an amount of molar buildups because I can see the gap between my incisors growing smaller. Hopefully my lisp will go away with the gap soon.

Bracingmyself33

#13 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

Day 148

Had an adjustment on the 12 November; had my molar buildups built higher because I'd ground down pretty much of the previous ones. I've gotten used to eating with them and the lisp comes and go so it's not bothering me very much. Power chains were linked between my canines and first molar to make space for the lateral incisors. My teeth was finally scaled and polished after 5 months of braces! As my bottom row is straightening out, the calculus was very obvious. Though my gums hurt a little after that but my tongue felt great against the polished surfaces! :mrgreen:

And oh, the sensitivity of my right lateral incisor went away mysteriously. I hope I don't jinx myself!

Anyway, pictures time!

Based on the gap between my top and bottom teeth, the molar buildups seem like are not as high as they look.

Minor difference within 3 weeks.

It's almost 5th month of my journey. Time flies. A colleague told me that I should be glad I took the first step; imagine the regret i'll have not having them at this very moment in time. :wink:

tillybrace

#14 Post by tillybrace »

Bracingmyself33 wrote:Day 148

Had an adjustment on the 12 November; had my molar buildups built higher because I'd ground down pretty much of the previous ones. I've gotten used to eating with them and the lisp comes and go so it's not bothering me very much. Power chains were linked between my canines and first molar to make space for the lateral incisors. My teeth was finally scaled and polished after 5 months of braces! As my bottom row is straightening out, the calculus was very obvious. Though my gums hurt a little after that but my tongue felt great against the polished surfaces! :mrgreen:

And oh, the sensitivity of my right lateral incisor went away mysteriously. I hope I don't jinx myself!

Anyway, pictures time!

Based on the gap between my top and bottom teeth, the molar buildups seem like are not as high as they look.

Minor difference within 3 weeks.

It's almost 5th month of my journey. Time flies. A colleague told me that I should be glad I took the first step; imagine the regret i'll have not having them at this very moment in time. :wink:
That is amazing progresss, your teeth are looking good, if i do so myself

Bracingmyself33

#15 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

Day 166

Had an adjustment on the 03 December.

Nothing fancy this round; Doc decided to leave the molar buildups alone because my top left incisor is pretty much aligned. She decided to shift my right lower incisor slightly down to not hinder the top lateral incisor from revealing itself so she gave me a thicker wire which was sooooooooo tight and painful that I asked if we could stick to something lighter. Thank god we changed because the pain was pretty intense this time around... Can't imagine how bad it will be if we stuck to the thicker wire. :FeelSick: