A birthday present to myself at 33

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Shelleyt

Re: A birthday present to myself at 33

#16 Post by Shelleyt »

Gorgeous!!!! Seriously coming together so well. Still jealous of those white teeth!

Rachel2812

#17 Post by Rachel2812 »

Great progress so far :) my teeth are quite similar to yours, my bottom teeth have crowding and my two incisors at the top are pushed back. I just got my top brace on last week so it's great to see how well yours have moved! Good luck with the rest of your journey!

Bracingmyself33

#18 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

Happy 2017 everyone!

Another year of embracing ourselves!

Time for update:

Day 191

Adjustment day.

Brackets on my left maxillary and lateral incisors were rebond and the bracket on lateral incisor was upside down. I understand it was for/ to prevent rotation so I didn't probe further. My problematic right lateral incisor is finally making its appearance! But the side of my right maxillary incisor was shaved/ ground (?) slightly to create more space for its neighbour.

Good news! My molar buildups may be removed on my next visit as my teeth are more or less aligned. Not that the buildups are causing me any discomfort though...

Anyway, pictures time!

Comparison between last adjustment on 03 Dec 2016.

And since I have crossed the 6-month mark, another photo to compare with my pre-braces teeth.

The change is so drastic! I'm so glad that I bit the bullet and went for braces (irregardless at the ripe ol' age of 33)!

anabanana

#19 Post by anabanana »

Wow, what a difference between your first photos and now!

I've also postponed getting braces for years and was thinking that 31 is too late to get them, but in the end I decided it's nobody's business but mine what happens to my teeth.
So kudos for getting them at 33!

littlething

#20 Post by littlething »

Wow, your teeth are looking great - awesome progress! You must be thrilled!! :)

Bracingmyself33

#21 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

Day 209

Adjustment Day!

The first question my ortho asked was, 'How is the tooth?!' And I was almost jumping in joy because my top right lateral incisor finally crossed over! And so my molar buildups were removed! :jump: :jump: :jump:

I've heard so many horror stories about molar buildups, even my ortho pre-empt me that buildups are worse than braces! But frankly, they are not as bad as I expected. Yes, eating normally was almost impossible during the first couple days. But somehow, our body adapts quickly to start eating as usual (and perhaps due to my love for food). I hated those days when the molar buildups were topped up and the sharp edges scratched my tongue so badly, the minor lisp and the difficulty to floss and brush my last molar. But time will past... You'll think back and teased yourself for being a whine baby. :HugeGrin: Honestly, I've gotten used to eating with the buildups so I have to learn how to eat without them now. :crazy:

Anyway, I'm having a thicker wire for my top row (0.018, Australian wire) to keep my lateral incisors in place while the power chain does its work to create more space between the right rotated canine and first bicuspid. My bottom row stepped down to a 0.016 for further alignment. The pain only set in almost 12 hours later... Thank god I could have a decent dinner and some B&J too! :BigGrin:

Pictures time!

Comparison with last adjustment. Don't see significant difference though.

However, the result is amazing when I compared with the very first day with molar buildups! So much difference within 3 months!

I hope these updates will provide some reassurance to fellow bracers, especially those who just have braces on. Still the same words, slowly but surely.

Sorry for the blur photos... Still trying to take better selfies!

bdsfkw

#22 Post by bdsfkw »

Wow amazing progress and very nice smile. Have you experienced any complications and face changes due to your extractions?

tillybrace

#23 Post by tillybrace »

bdsfkw wrote:Wow amazing progress and very nice smile. Have you experienced any complications and face changes due to your extractions?
I didnt have extractions, but since i have had my braces on and with all the teeth movement, my chèek bones are alot more prominant and my chin is a bit different

Marywonka

#24 Post by Marywonka »

Wow amazing progress! I'm so happy for you!

claribeary

#25 Post by claribeary »

I read your thread and just wanted to pop in and say hi because i'm Singaporean too! :wink: Congrats on taking the plunge to finally get braces and I'm so happy that it's working out so great for you, your before and after pics look soooo different!

I'm in a similar situation as you, always wanted braces but put it off because I was afraid of pain & how I'd look with braces on. But I'm finally doing it after wanting braces for 10 years? I'm 26 now and getting braced in a month. \o/ Yay! Life is too short to live with a smile you're unhappy with.

Bracingmyself33

#26 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

bdsfkw wrote:Wow amazing progress and very nice smile. Have you experienced any complications and face changes due to your extractions?
Sorry for the late reply!

I haven't had any complications from extractions. Many complimented that my cheeks are sharper and smile is wider; could be due to some weight loss and the extractions.

Bracingmyself33

#27 Post by Bracingmyself33 »

Day 328

Been awhile since my last update. Honestly, nothing significant worth mentioning apart from creating space for a rotated tooth to move into place.

Yesterday was adjustment day and the rotated tooth is finally attached to the wire! The doc said rotation is generally painless but it takes time, so she'll see me in 6 weeks' time instead of the regular 3-4 weeks. Apart from attaching the tooth to wire, all of my molars are bonded as well. I've almost forgotten the initial discomfort and pain of having those metal in the mouth. My tongue can no longer glide around without being poked by the protruding wire (which will be trimmed later today).

Saving grace was the compliment on my progress by the Doc. She updated that we will be focusing on closing the gaps once the rouge tooth is in place. I assumed that wouldn't take long, considering some of my gaps are pretty small now. Can anyone share how long they took for gaps to close?

Pictures time!

The bonded rotated tooth.

My current awkward smile.

KellyGreen

#28 Post by KellyGreen »

I'm sitting here staring at that monstrous wire in the first post, lol! Phenomenal progress. You have nice, big, and white teeth. Your smile will look beautiful when it's all done.

ferh

#29 Post by ferh »

Your progress is awesome, stay strong!