Finally have braces - August 2016

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

thegolfer86

Finally have braces - August 2016

#1 Post by thegolfer86 »

At the age of 29, I've finally made a possibility into a reality. I opted to go the non-surgical route, which was recommended, but not something I wanted to do. My other option was braces & extractions. So as of yesterday, I have braces! The ones I have are the Empower Self-Ligating ceramic on top, metal on bottom. Estimated treatment time is 24 to 28 months.

Having a severe protrusion, I had concern going with the ceramics on top since everyone says the brackets have a bigger profile. But my orthodontist said he was all on-board with it. I was in and out quick, maybe 40-45 minutes after the financials were done. It was a painless process.

Next process: Get 2 upper bicuspids removed.
Next orthodontist appointment: 6.5 weeks
Empower SL: 2 August 2016 to est. Fall 2018

sneed1o1

Re: Finally have braces - August 2016

#2 Post by sneed1o1 »

So you had both the top and bottom brackets placed in one appointment?? Congrats! Please post pictures! :HugeGrin:

thegolfer86

#3 Post by thegolfer86 »

32hr update...
-Haven't really noticed any "pain," just light pressure and sensitive teeth. So far I've only taken four ibuprofens and just now used wax on my upper canines. Brushing isn't painful either, only it's a difficult and time consuming process. Trying to floss is a you-know-what. I might just brush really good after each meal, use the interdental brushes to get around the brackets, waterpik, use mouthrinse, and get a cleaning every 3 months.

-The most frustrating part is eating. Which reminded me of a thread started awhile back discussing how frustrating it is compared to the little benefit gained. As a grown man, I fully understand your all's frustration. Couldn't chew through noodles last night. I stopped trying after a few bite attempts, sit my fork down, and just shook my head. Now all I've been doing is basically swallowing soft foods while pressing them against the roof of the mouth with my tongue. Here's to hoping this won't last too long...
sneed1o1 wrote:So you had both the top and bottom brackets placed in one appointment?? Congrats! Please post pictures! :HugeGrin:
Thanks! Indeed, both went on.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sneed1o1

#4 Post by sneed1o1 »

Nice! Thanks for the photo! How do the damon clear brackets feel? They are definitely less noticeable than the metal brackets.

cdmoses6

#5 Post by cdmoses6 »

Awesome!! Congratulations!!! :D
Braces on March 6th, 2015
Metal Empower self-ligating brackets, upper and lower
Class II, Division II overbite with crowding
Upper 2nd premolars extracted May 1st, 2015
First Powerchain and Class II Manatee Elastics June 15th, 2015
TADs placed July 27th, 2015
Box Manatee Elastics April 1st, 2016
Teeth shaping May 4th, 2016

My Progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48229

thegolfer86

#6 Post by thegolfer86 »

sneed1o1 wrote:Nice! Thanks for the photo! How do the damon clear brackets feel? They are definitely less noticeable than the metal brackets.
Thanks. These are actually the Empower brackets, which are made by American Orthodontics. I do indeed like them, but can't compare them to any others since I have no experience with any others.
cdmoses6 wrote:Awesome!! Congratulations!!! :D
Thank you :)

Shelleyt

#7 Post by Shelleyt »

That's the type my ortho uses for ceramic! They looked nice. I decided to go with linguals due to long treatment time and wedding next year, but I don't think I would have minded those. Good luck! Sounds like you are on your way to beautiful teeth!