38 years old with Damon clear/metal - my journey

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

nats80

38 years old with Damon clear/metal - my journey

#1 Post by nats80 »

I'm 38 and getting my part metal part clean Damon braces fitted. I am extremely nervous. Not so much about the pain and sores and not being able to eat, but more about how self conscious I am going to feel.

I'm getting cold feet to be honest...

Any reassuring comments would be greatly appreciated :)

HummerMan3

Re: 8 days until B-Day!!!

#2 Post by HummerMan3 »

Keep your eye on the end goal, at least that's what I keep telling myself. I'm starting my treatment tomorrow, so we'll be pretty much in the same boat at the same time. How long do you have to have yours on for? Good luck; looking forward to your progress!

nats80

#3 Post by nats80 »

[quote="HummerMan3"]Keep your eye on the end goal, at least that's what I keep telling myself. I'm starting my treatment tomorrow, so we'll be pretty much in the same boat at the same time. How long do you have to have yours on for? Good luck; looking forward to your progress![/quote]

Wow. Good luck! I will definitely follow your story. They're saying 18-24 months but I'm not banking on anything less than 24.

I've got some before pics already but not sure the easiest way to post them?...

Nolaterals

#4 Post by Nolaterals »

You'll be fine! I had the same apprehension before I was braced. I've had them for a month now and I regret nothing. In fact, I've already had noticeable movement and that has got me more excited than ever!

I had issues with a long wire that I was able to have clipped a couple days after I got them on. After that, I have not had to use any wax or gotten any sores at all. My cheeks toughened up quickly!

Nolaterals

#5 Post by Nolaterals »

The easiest way for me to post pictures is to go to attachments - add file - wait for it to load - insert (not sure the exact language).

nats80

#6 Post by nats80 »

Before:-

How embarrassing - they look awful and the staining looks terrible :-(
14-03-2016 - 1 Initial Records_Center a.jpg
14-03-2016 - 1 Initial Records_Left Buccal a.jpg
14-03-2016 - 1 Initial Records_Lower Occlusal a.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nats80

#7 Post by nats80 »

14-03-2016 - 1 Initial Records_Right Buccal a.jpg
14-03-2016 - 1 Initial Records_Upper Occlusal a.jpg
Before a.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

nats80

#8 Post by nats80 »

and after (hopefully)..... :-)
After a.png
I must add I am not having Invisalign - they just used the software to show the intended movement.

27braces88

#9 Post by 27braces88 »

Wow this is very cool. I wish I had something like this when I got my braces.

nats80

#10 Post by nats80 »

2 days to go!!!!!! Excited but mostly dreading it. I may lock myself away at home for the next 2 years!...

jem

#11 Post by jem »

I think most of us are self conscious when we first get our braces. I certainly was for the first few months even though mine were damon clear and not very obvious. But after a while you will stop caring and/or realise that your teeth already look better even with braces on than they did before. You will be back to smiling your natural smile and just getting on with life.

Good luck with your braces. Make sure you take lots of progress pics; there may well be times when you get sick of your braces and being able to look back at the progress you have made really helps.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

Beckett

#12 Post by Beckett »

I'll admit I'm still self conscious about mine, but almost no one has ever even mentioned them. Adults really don't seem to want to point it out, which is polite. You get used to them after a while, and then you start paying much more attention in the mirror, looking each day for those minute changes that mean progress is being made. It's pretty cool. My upper canines were rotate back so I had very pointy fangs. Those are disappearing now as they rotate forward and I couldn't be happier.
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

nats80

#13 Post by nats80 »

Beckett wrote:I'll admit I'm still self conscious about mine, but almost no one has ever even mentioned them. Adults really don't seem to want to point it out, which is polite. You get used to them after a while, and then you start paying much more attention in the mirror, looking each day for those minute changes that mean progress is being made. It's pretty cool. My upper canines were rotate back so I had very pointy fangs. Those are disappearing now as they rotate forward and I couldn't be happier.
jem wrote:I think most of us are self conscious when we first get our braces. I certainly was for the first few months even though mine were damon clear and not very obvious. But after a while you will stop caring and/or realise that your teeth already look better even with braces on than they did before. You will be back to smiling your natural smile and just getting on with life.

Good luck with your braces. Make sure you take lots of progress pics; there may well be times when you get sick of your braces and being able to look back at the progress you have made really helps.

Jem
Thank you so much. Your words of encouragement honestly help.

Well it's tomorrow now. Gulp!...

nats80

#14 Post by nats80 »

Well I've done it!...
FullSizeRender.jpg
I can't complain so far. The fitting was strangely relaxing (maybe because I got to lie down in peace for an hour and half without the kids)!!

They don't feel as strange as I was expecting. When I smile my top lip gets caught on the top wire. My only disappointment is that the ortho's assistant had previously told me that I wouldn't need the 'coil springs' (can't remember if that is what they are called) but I've got 1 on the top and 2 at the bottom. They said they are only temporary, but we'll see...!

They decided not to fit 2 of the clear brackets yet until some room has been made for them to rotate and move into place.

No pain (so far) but I am fully expecting that to come.

I'm sort of excited that I have finally done this.

I made myself go into a shop and speak to the sales assistant and they didn't bat an eyelid. I am still extremely nervous about seeing work colleagues, etc etc.

Thank you to all of you who have responded to my posts. Also for the really useful posts and stories on here. It is what finally convinced me to do this.

So my journey begins......

jem

#15 Post by jem »

Congratulations on getting your braces fitted. When you look back at this photo in 6 months time you will be amazed at the progress you have made and so pleased you decided to go ahead.

Don't worry about what your colleagues will think. The chances are that they will be very supportive. Once you have got over the initial stage of people seeing your braces for the first time, this will become the normal you and no big deal.

You will have seen other people on this site who have had coil springs. They don't usually seem to have them much beyond the first couple of adjustments, by which time the springs have created enough space for blocked out or rotated teeth to be bracketed and joined onto the archwire.

Don't be afraid to use plenty of wax if your brackets or springs cause you any soreness.

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194