Correcting a crossbite: adult braces and double jaw surgery AHOY

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sideways

Re: Correcting a crossbite: adult braces and double jaw surgery AHOY

#16 Post by Sideways »

Got a mold taken last week, so that brings my collection up to three! Just wanted to show the MARPE maxilla expansion progress over the past year and a half:
27655281_10106397700853033_4390713156943678144_n.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sideways

#17 Post by Sideways »

I got my double jaw surgery done at UCSF on May 11th!

The surgery was long (7+ hours), but otherwise went very smoothly. More specifically, I had a segmental Le Fort 1 osteonomy and BSSO. My upper jaw was moved about 4mm forward and expanded "a bit." My lower jaw was rotated to line up the midlines.

Reflecting pack on the past 4 weeks, I'd say my recovery has been good and unremarkable. Some notes:
  • Lucked out on the congestion that usually accompanies upper jaw surgeries. I was able to breathe through my nose the moment I woke up
  • Partial numbness around my chin and right cheek; no part of my face was completely numb, as I was still able to discern direction when people brush their fingers across my face. Definitely tingly, though!
  • Swelling peaked around day 4, and was mostly gone by day 14; I still have some residual swelling that will likely go away in the coming months
  • Pretty uncomfortable the first two weeks due to swelling and lack of energy, but no significant pain.
  • My nose (sinus?) was really sensitive to cold and humidity in the first two weeks. I wore a surgical mask outside and took really long, steamy showers.
  • The surgeon said I had very thin ("eggshell-y" were his words) bone throughout my upper jaw. As a result, I was told I'd need to keep my splint in for at least 6 weeks to ensure things are firm
  • The splint makes eating even soft foods really inconvenient, so I'll still be on a blended/liquid diet until the end of this month. In all honesty, though, it's a lot easier keeping your mouth clean when everything is liquid!
Once I get my splint out and new wire put in, I'll post some pics. In the meantime, I'm just happy that this part is over!

Sideways

#18 Post by Sideways »

Got my splint out after 7 weeks and immediately had a new archwire put in. My surgeon recommended a TPA to maintain the palatal expansion, but my orthodontist said my upper jaw is over-expanded, so he didn't put one in. On one hand, I'm happy to have less metal in my mouth, but on the other hand, I certainly hope I don't relapse too much-- my orthodontist said he would keep an eye on it and put in an archwire or TPA if needed.

Onto the photos!
IMG_0953.jpg
IMG_1079.jpg
My lips are still learning to smile again, so for now, I'm working with a dopey, lopsided smile. My midline has drifted somewhat now that the splint is out, but I'm not too worried. My upper jaw still has a long way to go before the gaps and final alignment are on point. Still, for the first time in my life, the teeth on both sides of my mouth touch!

Numbness is improving in some places, but cropping up in others. For example, I can't taste with the left side of my tongue (though I can still feel temperature and pressure just fine). Here's to hoping that this will clear up my 6-month post-op appointment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

bubba3000

#19 Post by bubba3000 »

I dont understand why you got double jaw surgery when MARPE is capable of expansion without surgery

Sideways

#20 Post by Sideways »

bubba3000 wrote: Sun Nov 11, 2018 1:07 am I dont understand why you got double jaw surgery when MARPE is capable of expansion without surgery
The MARPE was a fantastic alternative to a SARPE, but it wasn't sufficient in correcting the asymmetry of my lower jaw. My upper jaw was also tilted down towards the right, which the MARPE was also unable to fix. I did have the option of only doing the MARPE and my orthodontist would move my teeth to close the bite somewhat, but final result would still result in uneven wear of the teeth along with the visual facial asymmetry.

junebug9

#21 Post by junebug9 »

Hi SIdeways,

I'm going to begin MARPE in June followed by surgery. It's been over a year since your last post, but I would love an update! :mrgreen: