the end of my SMS journey, at last!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

kppixie

the end of my SMS journey, at last!

#1 Post by kppixie »

smsIMG_1089.JPG
Well, after 19 months of SMS the end is near, I have my braces off this Wednesday. It hasn't been an easy journey as you may see from my previous posts. But, if I look back at where I started there have been some major changes! So, now comes the fear of brackets off and waiting for my retainer (I should be having a fixed retainer and removable). Hope my photos give you some hope!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Beckett

Re: the end of my SMS journey, at last!

#2 Post by Beckett »

Your smile looks awesome! So does SMS stand for Six Month Smile? But yours took 19? Worth it I'll bet, things look great!
Braces for 18 months/4 days.

kppixie

#3 Post by kppixie »

Hi,thank you! Yes 6 month smiles took a bit longer actually a lot longer than expected!But, here is my final result,I am pleased. No doubt I will be posting about my retainers from now on!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NeilH

#4 Post by NeilH »

Hi Karen,

Wow, what a lovely result, I bet you must be so pleased and especially after a process that took a bit longer than expected. I guess it shows that orthodontics is an inexact science and sometimes the best estimates turn out to be way off the mark but that said, wasn't it worth the wait? Please let us know how you get on with your retainers, they are quite a bit different to braces!

It's been great following your progress and lovely chatting with you.

kppixie

#5 Post by kppixie »

Thanks Neil

Yes, I am pretty pleased with the results, it's such an amazing feeling being able to eat properly again, and of course the fear of staining my brackets with coffee (which I did numerous times). It's a funny old thing but I've kind of forgotten how the braces felt already, and I only had the brackets off yesterday.

I think retainers will be a challenge, I have to wear them 24/7, they arrive tomorrow. How did you cope with your retainers? Some people say its worse than braces, surely not!!

Oh, my dentist actually said that the delay regarding my progress was linked to the 6MS being processed in the lab, placing the brackets by eye can sometimes be the best way, when he took off my three front brackets and re-positioned them, everything started lining up, which was such a relief to see.

Good luck everyone, and I really cannot believe this day has arrived, no more brace face! Great to see your progress and posts Neil, thanks for your encouraging words, you really got me through some tough times!

Happy smiles for us :) yey!

LisainTX

#6 Post by LisainTX »

You look AWESOME!! So happy for you!! :jump:

kppixie

#7 Post by kppixie »

Thank you so much! Retainers are arriving by post today!!!eek

kppixie

#8 Post by kppixie »

Essix Retainers arrived on Saturday and typically the top one did not fit! Managed the bottom one fine! Dentist today who adjusted the top retainer which now fits.I didn't expect so much saliva and lisping!!!Hopefully this will improve.I am also have teeth whitening which I can place inside the retainer (a bit too scared to do that yet) I must say its better than braces but they are making me feel a bit queasy because of the saliva!! At least I can pop them out!
How does everyone clean their retainer?Water doesn't seem sufficient.
Anyhow here are my gnashers with essix retainers on!!

kppixie

Re: the end of my Six Month Smiles journey, at last!

#9 Post by kppixie »

kppixie wrote:
smsIMG_1089.JPG
Well, after 19 months of SMS the end is near, I have my braces off this Wednesday. It hasn't been an easy journey as you may see from my previous posts. But, if I look back at where I started there have been some major changes! So, now comes the fear of brackets off and waiting for my retainer (I should be having a fixed retainer and removable). Hope my photos give you some hope!

metalliKa

#10 Post by metalliKa »

Congrats on your removal! Your teeth look great! In regards to the care of your clear retainers, my ortho advised to brush them in dish soapy water with a soft toothbrush. If I want to soak them, I can do with efferdent tablets when needed. Absolutely do not soak them in warm water or in mouth wash or anything that will distort their shape.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

kppixie

#11 Post by kppixie »

Thank you MetalliKa for your reply.I will do that,it seems simpler than I thought.Im off to Italy tomorrow for a week,now that's going to be interesting with retainers,cleaning and wearing in the heat!

NeilH

#12 Post by NeilH »

Have a super trip to Italy. I will PM you when you get back to get your thoughts on something.

Bracesat57

#13 Post by Bracesat57 »

Congratulations on your beautiful new smile! Your teeth look great!

My orthodontist says 14 hours a day. His instructions that he hands out basically says to go to work or school without them in and then put them in for the rest of the day and night. Obviously I am wearing mine during the day also.

As for cleaning, my orthodontist gave me some samples of retainer brite to clean my essix retainers. I bought a year's supply on Amazon. I just soak them every morning in warm water (not hot). A little scrubbing with a soft tooth brush and they are good to go.

Have fun in Italy!

Braces installed October 2, 2014
Braces removed May 17, 2016

kirkyb2809

#14 Post by kirkyb2809 »

They look amazing, I'm so excited to get mine off! :D

kppixie

#15 Post by kppixie »

Thank you all!! Well Im back from Italy and ugh the worse bit about retainer wear was on the plane!My mouth was so dry it was unreal!!I lapsed a few times in the day but wore them at night without fail.I do think there is some movement,and as a result of these retainers (that are designed with space for my teeth whitening gel)I believe the movement is due to this?
Has anyone experienced this? its as if the two front teeth have become more prominent, just when I thought my journey was over!argh!and I have my crown to fitted sometime (cost is extortionate) so that is on hold!
Oh also,I have found I've forgotten how to smile!!! How strange!
still no regrets,when I look back on my original teeth ...well they are much better!!