Rockin' the Braces Again at 32

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

HummerMan3

Re: Rockin' the Braces Again at 32

#31 Post by HummerMan3 »

aussietrumpeter wrote:I'm curious - is it possible for the molars to intrude whilst molar bands are attached. It seems in your photos that you have molar bands? I just wonder if they prevent the molars intruding .... my molar bands are right up against my gums. What do you think?
I've thought about this too... My molars don't have a lot of vertical surface area, so they have to use the thinnest band available, and even then it covers the entire tooth. I would imagine that given proper intrusion pressure, the tooth would intrude, leaving the metal band to dig into the soft gum, but I've not found this to be the case as I've had no movement as of yet.

HummerMan3

#32 Post by HummerMan3 »

claudiofranck wrote:I have a choice tongue crib or spurs?
What would you choose?

Thanks
Ooo, my knee-jerk reaction would be to recommend the tongue spurs, as I've heard that the crib is a lot harder to get used to (but the spurs were no picnic either at first). But I've noticed that after all the sores on my tongue had healed that I've been subconsciously pushing my tongue against my front teeth every bit as much as I had before getting the spurs. Since these things are supposed to stop the habit, I would say that if you could get over the added inconvenience of the crib, you may be better off in the long run going with that.

claudiofranck

#33 Post by claudiofranck »

You are probably right, but I still have a few more weeks before I have to make a decision, the crib is also my doctors first choice. But was willing to try spurs if I wanted to.
Even worse she suggested half jokingly half honestly, that as a final option if all fails or does not progress as it should she will put a crib WITH spurs in, LOL

Thanks will keep posted on what happens in the end

claudiofranck

#34 Post by claudiofranck »

HummerMan3 wrote:
claudiofranck wrote:I have a choice tongue crib or spurs?
What would you choose?

Thanks
Ooo, my knee-jerk reaction would be to recommend the tongue spurs, as I've heard that the crib is a lot harder to get used to (but the spurs were no picnic either at first). But I've noticed that after all the sores on my tongue had healed that I've been subconsciously pushing my tongue against my front teeth every bit as much as I had before getting the spurs. Since these things are supposed to stop the habit, I would say that if you could get over the added inconvenience of the crib, you may be better off in the long run going with that.
Did you talk with your ortho anojt getting a tongue crib instead of the spurs, since you mention they are not working correctly.

aussietrumpeter

#35 Post by aussietrumpeter »

I don't have the spurs or the tongue crib but I have an appliance called the 'tongue spinner' by my ortho, see below:
tongue spinner.jpg
Don't know if it's available to you, here is a link:
http://www.tonguechewing.com/habitappwilson.html

Basically this appliance is for retraining the tongue into correct posture - you are supposed to practice spinning the bead towards the back of the mouth with the tip of your tongue. The heel of your tongue is meant to rest against the loop (omega loop), basically helping the whole tongue to rest at the top of the mouth.

I must admit this is working in fixing my tongue posture but eating and talking were extremely difficult for the first month, and it took me 2-3 months to sound almost normal....now there are only a couple of sounds that are difficult to say.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

claudiofranck

#36 Post by claudiofranck »

I had read about it on my research, my ortho did not mention it but I might try talking to her about, she reluctantly gave me option of the spurs on a trial basis, she adamant that she wants to physically block my tongue or anything else, she even suggested as a last resort a tongue crib with the spurs. I have even seen combination tongue crib ad that little bead at the same time.

I will let ask and let you know.

claudiofranck

#37 Post by claudiofranck »

Ok, She said she didn't think it would work, she still wants to go ahead with the crib, however I am choosing the spurs on a trial basis, but she will have a crib ready to install.

I will be traveling for work so I am delaying the start for about a month and a half I will keep you posted.

HummerMan3

#38 Post by HummerMan3 »

Hey folks, it's been a while! Here are some 6 month update photos. Progress has been slower than expected from both my perspective and my ortho's, but we're finally seeing some molar intrusion with the TADs. When I move my jaw forward, the front left incisor is just a fraction of a millimeter away from touching the bottom tooth. We haven't talked yet about how to correct the overjet, but I'm hoping that's next to be addressed, as it's still quite noticeable when viewing my teeth in profile.
claudiofranck wrote:Ok, She said she didn't think it would work, she still wants to go ahead with the crib, however I am choosing the spurs on a trial basis, but she will have a crib ready to install.

I will be traveling for work so I am delaying the start for about a month and a half I will keep you posted.
While it sounds somewhat silly to be envious of your predicament, I do wish that my ortho gave me the same option for a tongue crib, as I'm skeptical that my tongue thrust habit has been curbed with the spurs alone. Looking forward to hearing your take on them as you start your treatment.

claudiofranck

#39 Post by claudiofranck »

Great progress, you seem to be doing ok.

I am pretty certain I will end up with the tongue crib, however at least in my book it makes me feel better to have tried everything before. LOL

Why don't you as for a crib to your ortho? in the end you are the boss.

I will keep you updated

claudiofranck

#40 Post by claudiofranck »

Now that I have a better look at your tongue spurs, I wish I was getting those, mine will me a lot more aggressive. She basically explained that it would be a few sharp wires bent in a U shape and glued to the back of my teeth.
Not looking looking forward to those neither the crib.

But we'll see how it goes.

Keep up the progress

HummerMan3

#41 Post by HummerMan3 »

Braces update!
It has been forever and a day since I last updated this ongoing braces saga of mine, but in truth, very little has happened worthy of mention. There just hasn't been a whole lot of movement. If you recall, I have two TADs to introduce maxillary molar intrusion. My TPA has been inching closer to the roof of my mouth, suggesting that the TADs are working, but the open bite is still fairly pronounced. My front teeth have been flaring out, making the overjet look a bit worse than it did before I got the braces on.
At my most recent ortho appointment last week, I had the front 4 brackets removed and inverted, which will hopefully angle the incisors inward without the use of elastics. The incisors may later be filed a bit and a power chain added to the top teeth to help. He suspects that the TADs will have finished their job by around the next time I see him in June, so hopefully I can get those and the TPA removed and have at least a little less metal in my mouth!
Initial treatment time was quoted at 1.5 years. That puts January 2018 as the expected completion date, but there still seems to be so much movement that needs to be accomplished before then!
Pictures to follow...

HummerMan3

#42 Post by HummerMan3 »

These two are clenched teeth. Note the continued open bite and overjet.

atrixa

#43 Post by atrixa »

Are you managing to eat ok with the open bite? Your overjet reminds me of my teeth. Mine are definitely in a 'worse before better' stage right now. I reckon my overjet has increased by at least 2mm while they're aligning my teeth :roll: Oh well, all worth it in the end, right?
Upper arch braced (traditional metal) on 17/02/17
Debonded 17/01/18 with a fixed retainer
Estimated treatment time 18 months, actual time 11 months :-*

tillybrace

#44 Post by tillybrace »

HummerMan3 wrote:Hey folks, it's been a while! Here are some 6 month update photos. Progress has been slower than expected from both my perspective and my ortho's, but we're finally seeing some molar intrusion with the TADs. When I move my jaw forward, the front left incisor is just a fraction of a millimeter away from touching the bottom tooth. We haven't talked yet about how to correct the overjet, but I'm hoping that's next to be addressed, as it's still quite noticeable when viewing my teeth in profile.

claudiofranck wrote:Ok, She said she didn't think it would work, she still wants to go ahead with the crib, however I am choosing the spurs on a trial basis, but she will have a crib ready to install.

While it sounds somewhat silly to be envious of your predicament, I do wish that my ortho gave me the same option for a tongue crib, as I'm skeptical that my tongue thrust habit has been curbed with the spurs alone. Looking forward to hearing your take on them as you start your treatment.

my overjet say, you call that over jet, i'll show you a overjet :p

HummerMan3

#45 Post by HummerMan3 »

7th adjustment update! It's now been just shy of 11 months since I started my braces journey. Relative to the first time I had braces, this go-around seems to be taking much more time than I remember. I'm not alone in my frustration; my orthodontist had expected more noticeable molar intrusion with the TADs. As it is, they did intrude quite a bit based on my TPA sitting flush with the roof of my mouth (it had about 0.5 cm gap with the roof of the mouth when I started to allow for intrusion). That movement just didn't translate into very meaningful aesthetic improvement. On the plus side, the TADs and TPA can come out now! He will be taking the TPA out at next visit, and probably starting elastics then. Unfortunately, I'm stuck with the TADs until September 8th, which is the next time my schedule aligns with the oral surgeon's.
Questions for those with elastics: Possible to eat with them in? Possible to make out with them in? The doc mentioned the possibility of headgear (yuck! :yuck: ) "if there's still some improvement to be had after a month or two in elastics". Has anyone else had a similar situation where headgear was a "maybe" and they ended up needing to wear it?
Still a bit wary that I can be done with braces in the initially quoted 18-month time frame. There's still just a lot of movement that has to happen!
Will post more pictures after next visit. Thanks guys!