Regular braces — my experience

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ashleyy

Re: Regular braces — my experience

#16 Post by ashleyy »

jem wrote:Thanks Ashleyy. I eventually only had braces on my top front teeth, but when I was considering more comprehensive treatment I was told I might need a distal jet, so I was curious to see what one looked like. Its purpose would have been to push back a second molar which was sitting directly on top of the corresponding molar on my bottom arch rather than partly behind it and thereby causing excessive wear. Which tooth/teeth is your distal jet aimed at moving?

Your teeth are levelling out nicely now and I presume the next stage will be to reduce your overjet.

Good luck with your remaining treatment.

Jem
Thanks! Basically they're trying to get the right side to move backward because all of my teeth are off by a pretty large amount on that side, so it's fairly similar to what you were describing actually, and then I think they just need everything to move backward to make more room in general to work with.

NeilH wrote:Hi, thanks for the update. I must say, you have gone for some great colour choices, they must be nicest combinations I have seen for a while. Wow, how on earth do you manage to eat with that appliance preventing your teeth from meeting? I think everyone with tiny molar build ups should take note. I enjoy reading about your progress and sorry I haven't been more active on this forum recently.
Thanks, and oh my god so like eating was the most annoying and impossible thing at first. I remember I actually called them back like the first week and was like uhhhhhh so like how do I actually eat? …and they were basically like, you're just going to have to figure it out. At first I just had to kind of stick to soft foods, and then I learned that I could actually mash food into my teeth with my tounge, kinda like using them as the other tooth? I got pretty good at it haha, but in the four months or so that I've had braces it's gotten a lot better as things started moving. I'm to the point now where even though they're still not actually touching I've got eating down to a science and I can pretty much eat most things fairly easily thank GOD lol.

Oh yeah and the colors, I'm a pretty colorful person in general so I'm always excited about something new with color ^_^ I think next time I might do black and orange for halloween probably, and then maybe after that I was thinking purple and green?

jem

#17 Post by jem »

Hi Ashleyy,

The wire does not appear to be attached to your molar band on your right side. Does the distal jet have any mechanism on the other side of your teeth?

Jem
Sectional brace with Damon clear brackets fitted to front 6 upper teeth 3 January 2012
Brackets added to premolars 2 April 2012
Estimated treatment time originally 6-9 months
. Brace removed on 22 July 2013 after 18 months and 19 days
Now enjoying bonded upper retainer plus part time essix/hawley( I have both)

Click here for my story http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42194

ashleyy

#18 Post by ashleyy »

jem wrote:Hi Ashleyy,

The wire does not appear to be attached to your molar band on your right side. Does the distal jet have any mechanism on the other side of your teeth?

Jem
Good question! I asked them about that when I felt around my tongue and noticed it wasn't connected, and basically what they told me was that they didn't need it to be on that side at the moment. The right side is off by a lot more than the left side.

ashleyy

#19 Post by ashleyy »

Ok, so had another appointment, decided to go with halloween colors:

My god like today my teeth ache so much :o I think it's because i had them both remove and put the wire on AND got a dental cleaning in the same day. Usually it's over a few days. I might not do that again next time. I probably wont be able to eat normally for the foreseeable future :|

Seeing progress every so slowly… not nearly as much progress this time as from the last time.

Ramm87

#20 Post by Ramm87 »

Still it is possible to see considerable progress. Hang on :wink:

ashleyy

#21 Post by ashleyy »

Okay sooooo just recently had another adjustment, here's the progress photo:

Still trying to get the back teeth to move back more, so not really a ton of noticable progress. I'll have to take a picture from the side when I get a chance.

Lameglio

#22 Post by Lameglio »

Great progress. You can see on the archwires that they´re now perfectly vertically aligned.

Grix

#23 Post by Grix »

Great progress and updates along the way, interesting reading, thanks.