Starting with damon braces soon - overbite & crowding fix

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tartanhabit

Starting with damon braces soon - overbite & crowding fix

#1 Post by tartanhabit »

Well, I'm getting very anxious as my brace date approaches (16 June) and stuff that I've ordered online is piling up in the house. Makes me feel more in control of the unknown! Also got a couple of things in the freezer for ease of eating, lists of soft foods, food to buy for next week. Oh and did I tell you I was feeling anxious?

Would love to hear from others about to start, recently started, or anyone else for that matter. I'm going with an orthodontist in San Francisco that will be doing damon braces to address overbite issues and crowding. We're doing top clear braces to start then metal lower in a few months. I'm 47 and this has been a long time coming. I'm an expat Brit living in California - have been here for 18 years and this is the land of the beautiful teeth and I'm finally doing something about mine.

Treatment estimate: 18 months. 14 months if use the Acceledent device which I plan on doing. 'Just over a year' is much easier to handle I keep telling myself.

ItsFreyja

Re: Starting with damon braces soon - overbite & crowding fix

#2 Post by ItsFreyja »

Good luck!! I bet you'll find that, with only top braces to start, eating is not as bad as you're expecting. I hope your bite opens up quickly! I'm in my first month of braces with bite blocks due to my overbite, and that's been no fun (though also better than I was expecting). Can't wait to see your progress!

Leeshlund

#3 Post by Leeshlund »

Your treatment plan is exactly like mine...I'm 6 months in I did get the acceledent and LOVE it!! Best advice...expect most of the discomfort the first 3-4 wire changes after that it's not bad at all!! Also take 800mg or less up to you of ibuprofen before an adjustment it helps immensely with the pain!! Cleaning the braces and flossing is the most annoying part lol im 40 and it's the best decision I made ever!!! Mine fixed my tmj as well bonus :) so worth it and it's not that bad more annoyances then anything!! A

tartanhabit

#4 Post by tartanhabit »

I don't like the sound of bit blocks ItsFreya! I haven't heard I'll have to have them but then again, maybe I'm not yet party to that detail. Anything that gets between me and food makes me grumpy!

Leeshlund - congrats! Are you seeing progress yet 6 months in?

Sosowired

#5 Post by Sosowired »

It sounds as if you're incredibly prepared and well-informed about braces already which definitely makes things easier :) I wasn't even aware of Acceledent when I started my treatment - would've definitely gone for it if I had as everything I've heard on here seems to be really positive.

metalliKa

#6 Post by metalliKa »

Welcome! And so glad you decided to jump on the band wagon with the rest of us. I can't guarantee you the ride won't be bumpy...but the destination is definitely worth it. Just think your teeth will be beautiful at the end of your journey.

Btw, I turn 45 on the day your braces go on and I just got braced a little over two months ago back in March...coming into my third month on the 24th.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

tartanhabit

#7 Post by tartanhabit »

Thanks Metallika!

Leeshlund

#8 Post by Leeshlund »

Absolutely!!! I didn't have super crooked teeth per say... Mine was more for my bite.. i believe I'm half way... Probably thanks to the acceledent :thumbsup:

tartanhabit

#9 Post by tartanhabit »

I just got braced! Tops only for now. It went fine. Didn't love the process and no pain yet, just some tolerable pressure. I'll do acceledent later.

I'm wondering why they seem positioned quite low on the tooth but hoping there's a reason for that. Was too overwhelmed and wanted to get out of there to ask questions. I might post a pic if I feel brave later. Taking painkillers and a sedative was a good call. Now to try lunch!

lajlak

#10 Post by lajlak »

Mine are also placed very low but I was assured they are all at correct "heights". Keep up the work, the initial pain will last for around 7-10 days :)

tartanhabit

#11 Post by tartanhabit »

Thanks Lajlak!

I'm surprised at how this is going so far - I had sensitive teeth for about 2 days, wore a bit of wax in one spot only for 2-3 days and that's been it so far. I don't know if the acceledent is making it all easier to tolerate but I guess I set myself up to expect a much worse situation. I had read some awful stories here of people losing 40lbs, eating soft foods etc for 2 months and I didn't want any of that! My eating is slow and not pretty but I'm eating almost everything, with some care.

I'm on day 11 and I can tell by how things feel when I floss that teeth are moving, a little more room in some spots, for example. I am willing my acceledent to perform miracles :-)

I feel a little self conscious when I speak. I feel a little lispy at times.

gabriella36

#12 Post by gabriella36 »

Thanks for your kind words, tartanhabit! Looks like we'll be braces buddies throughout most of this crazy process.

Here's to health and straight like-new teeth!

27braces88

#13 Post by 27braces88 »

I got my damon clear braces yesterday. Pretty excited!

tartanhabit

#14 Post by tartanhabit »

Congratulations Kirstytrash. I need to post an update soon - a lot has happened in the 2 and a half months I've had these. Did you get top and bottom clear? I don't understand why some people can get both clear and yet my ortho wants to do metal on the bottom.

How long will your treatment be?

NeilH

#15 Post by NeilH »

tartanhabit wrote:Congratulations Kirstytrash. I need to post an update soon - a lot has happened in the 2 and a half months I've had these. Did you get top and bottom clear? I don't understand why some people can get both clear and yet my ortho wants to do metal on the bottom.

How long will your treatment be?
I believe the material they use to make clear brackets is harder than enamel and if you have any overbite, risk damaging your top teeth. Metal brackets, believe it or not, are not as hard as enamel so less likely to damage teeth. To get over the problem some ortho's use turbos or molar build ups to keep your teeth slightly apart. That's how I understand it anyway.