My braces story - progress as I go along

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

30yearoldbraceface

My braces story - progress as I go along

#1 Post by 30yearoldbraceface »

My braces story :mrgreen:

I am 30 years old, from Cape Town, South Africa. I have always wanted braces but when I was a teenager my parents couldn't afford it and then I just gave up on the idea of ever having straight teeth. This year (April 5th - I turned 30 and my parents offered to pay for my braces or veneers if I wanted them!) of course I started looking around.

I first went to see my dentist regarding veneers as I thought that sounded awesome (quick fix), but after the speaking to her, she advised that braces would be better for me as I have perfectly healthy teeth (I have not got one cavity or filling - touchwood) so "destroying them with veneers wasn't my best choice - plus I'd need two crowns - which to me is a no no if not genuinely needed. Braces it would be!

I met with my orthodontist on the 30th of March where I had photos, X-rays and moulds taken. I spoke to him regarding the 6 month smiles braces that I had read about on the Internet - he himself doesn't do the 6 month smiles braces - but said he could offer me something similar and give me a better result in that time frame - so I decided to go with him (he comes very highly recommended in our area - so I don't doubt he can fix my smile!) he asked me to come back in a week so he could work out my plan of action etc. He said I might need extractions - 2 top pre molars and 2 bottom pre molars - to save time I pre booked the extractions for the 8th of April as to not waste time if I needed to.

I met with my ortho again on the 7th of April, I was happy with his plan of action (which included the extractions) and he placed 8 spacers to make room for my molar bands - honestly so far the WORST pain was from those darn spacers!! I had the four teeth removed the following day and that pain was nothing compared to the constant ache from the spacers!! I had to wear the spacers for an agonizing 2 weeks and then finally on the 21st April my braces were placed!!!!! :D

Having the braces placed was a breeze, and I was soooooo happy for the assistant to remove those spacers! Instant relief!!! All in all it took around an hour and a half - I had ceramic braces placed on both top and bottom teeth - it's been over a week now and I haven't stained them yet. Pain is minimal but my teeth are tender - I can however chew without too much trouble, so no complaints yet. I do however have a plate attached to my braces (which make me talk funny/lisp) I have my next ortho appointment this coming Wednesday 6th May - soi will check with him why I have it and what it's for - will keep you all updated :)

I am going to attach some pictures - my teeth are really messed up so be prepared lol - I will update photos and relay progress as the months go by :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BeautifulDisaster

Re: My braces story - progress as I go along

#2 Post by BeautifulDisaster »

I'm impressed that you've never had a cavity. Can't wait to see your progress! I bet your teeth will look amazing when this is all over.
How long were you estimated to be in braces?

27 year old female
Traditional braces: clear uppers, metal lowers
Expected treatment time: 24 months
Brace story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=47574

30yearoldbraceface

#3 Post by 30yearoldbraceface »

He originally told me that my case would take around 24 months to fix, but as I am moving end November- that he would give me a smile to be proud of by then - so I will be in braces for 7 month and then fitted with a retainer.

He says that even though my teeth are all over the place, by bite and all of that is perfect - so most of what he will be doing is getting them all in the right place :) I had the extractions knowing I didn't have time for making space for my canines to slot into their correct places and the plate is there (which I think he said was like an anchor to help pull the teeth "quickly".

Will have to see how things pan out in the months to come! Will most definitely post my progress as the weeks / months go by :)

30yearoldbraceface

#4 Post by 30yearoldbraceface »

So, this morning I had my first adjustment appointment :) not much to report back on as he didn't really do much - he only twisted the wire that's looped between the teeth that are on either side of my extraction gaps (all 4 gaps - top and bottom) to make it tighter and I guess that is going to make the teeth move into those open gaps - photo below shows what I'm talking about. Also he was very happy with how I have been cleaning my braces and teeth, so very happy with that :tingrin: hehe

So far I am not feeling any soreness or tenderness but I'm sure by tomorrow I'll be feeling tender.

I am due to see him again in another 2 weeks (I am seeing him on a 2 week basis for the first couple of months. I am hoping in these weeks coming that I see some noticeable movement :) I haven't noticed anything yet other than I keep biting down on my teeth by mistake when I say certain words - that never used to happen, so my bite must have changed. Will update at next appointment or if I see any noticeable change I can show you all :tingrin:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

30yearoldbraceface

#5 Post by 30yearoldbraceface »

I have been in braces for almost a month now! I am due to go to another adjustment appointment tomorrow :) looking forward to getting things tightened up and hopefully seeing some major movement soon!

I have attached a side view pic of the right side of my mouth - the canine tooth on that side seems to have had some movement but looking straight on to my teeth it seems there has been no movement at all (even though I know there has been).. So will wait till there is some noticeable moment to show before posting front view photos :)

ItsFreyja

#6 Post by ItsFreyja »

Apparently our canine teeth are quite resistant to moving, but I definitely see some movement there! I bet you see a lot more over the next month!

30yearoldbraceface

#7 Post by 30yearoldbraceface »

A bit delayed, but here is an update from my 2nd adjustment appointment at my ortho :)

Last Wednesday I went in for my 2nd adjustment appointment - he said one of my teeth was being stubborn, but overall things are moving along nicely. He tightened up the wires pulling the teeth into my extractions gaps and sent me on my way. He said I wasn't ready for a new arch wire yet, which I expected as my teeth don't look much different to when they started and it's only been a month since I've been in braces :)

Really hoping to see some drastic (noticeable) changes in the next month (holding thumbs) hehe.

Anyways I thought I'd attach a pic of my front view so far, I only notice change in the shape of the arch wire in the two different pictures - which shows movement YAY

30yearoldbraceface

#8 Post by 30yearoldbraceface »

Today I had my 3rd adjustment appointment at my orthodontist :)

I arrived expecting them to just tighten the lace backs (I only learnt what they were called today!) BUT my ortho decided I was ready for a thicker wire :) I am so happy, even though my mouth is very tender lol - nothing an ibuprofen can't fix! :D He said he will continue seeing me every 2 weeks until my canine teeth have slotted into the extraction gaps and then we will see from there :) will post pics as soon as I have anything to show :tingrin:

metalliKa

#9 Post by metalliKa »

Amazing that you never had cavities! I didn't know how to brush my teeth until I was 8 yo and by then damage has already been done. Thought I've been pretty diligent since. Can wait to see more progress from you.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

30yearoldbraceface

#10 Post by 30yearoldbraceface »

So today I had another ortho appointment, there is definite movement and i'm very happy with how things are progressing :D not much was done today other than tightening my lace backs and replacing the elastic ligs - I also mentioned to the oral hygienist that I noticed plaque buildup in the areas where the teeth used to be hidden (some teeth overlapped each other, so now that they are moving I finally could see the tooth underneath it - obviously brushing couldn't reach there before) - She cleaned it right up, was so very happy about that :D

I will post pictures ASAP, my son dropped my phone and the screen smashed, so until its fixed i wont be able to post anything :( but should get that sorted soon enough and then will put up some comparison pics :)

@Metallika - I was also very surprised to find out that I had no cavities (until this year when I started my braces journey, I hadn't been to a dentist in over 15 years!) - I think it has to do with genes though, as my brother has also never had cavities or fillings whatsoever, and like me hasn't seen a dentist in over a decade - luckily for him, he also has straight teeth.... I don't know how I got such crowded teeth and such a messed up smile.... not fair! LOL

lajlak

#11 Post by lajlak »

Glad you are happy with the treatment so far, I will keep checking your progress :)

30yearoldbraceface

#12 Post by 30yearoldbraceface »

So last week wednesday I went in for another appointment with my ortho - not much was done other than tightening up my lacebacks..... BUT he did tell me that at my next appointment (15th July) I will be getting a thicker wire and power chains!!! I keep laughing at myself, as I never thought I would be so excited to get orthodontic treatments which most likely will be painful haha - but I really cant wait, as it means I am getting closer to having my extraction gaps close up and finally having my "left out" teeth placed onto the archwire! :-* :-*

30yearoldbraceface

#13 Post by 30yearoldbraceface »

Update: I saw my ortho this past Wednesday. He changed my top wire (ouch!) and I got a power chain on my top left side - the other extraction gaps have lacebacks pulling those teeth together still. My mouth was very tender that night, but I was still able to eat my supper and chew slowly on my back molars (YAY cos I hate going onto soft food) - it is now friday evening and mouth feels totally back to normal :D I go back on the 29th July and HOPEFULLY my teeth would have moved enough to allow for some of the teeth without brackets to finally get bracketed! I am feeling like a right hill-billy with my teeth all over the place! They really are MUCH MUCH worse than they were before braces :shock: :roll: ... but I guess its a small price to pay for the end result!

metalliKa

#14 Post by metalliKa »

30yearoldbraceface wrote:Update: I saw my ortho this past Wednesday. He changed my top wire (ouch!) and I got a power chain on my top left side - the other extraction gaps have lacebacks pulling those teeth together still. My mouth was very tender that night, but I was still able to eat my supper and chew slowly on my back molars (YAY cos I hate going onto soft food) - it is now friday evening and mouth feels totally back to normal :D I go back on the 29th July and HOPEFULLY my teeth would have moved enough to allow for some of the teeth without brackets to finally get bracketed! I am feeling like a right hill-billy with my teeth all over the place! They really are MUCH MUCH worse than they were before braces :shock: :roll: ... but I guess its a small price to pay for the end result!
Hahaha I feel the same about mine! Although my teeth are much straighter than before, I don't like how they're looking at the moment...too gummy. I guess as with everything in life, it gets worse before it can get better. That's what I'm hoping for. LOL

I, too, hope for power chains in my next appointment, July 24th (4th adjustment) to close a few small gaps.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

30yearoldbraceface

#15 Post by 30yearoldbraceface »

So, I just wanted to post an updated picture of my progress so far, as I haven't done so for quite a few weeks :) as you can see, there has been some changes :)

Currently 3 months in braces - would have liked to have seen some more drastic transformation by now, but hoping that will come soon! Also, there are still quite a few teeth that haven't been bracketed yet, and I can't wait for them to finally join the arch wire - hoping soon!

I see my Ortho again on Wednesday, will see what he says then :)