25 with Suresmile braces: progress so far (with pics!)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Sosowired

25 with Suresmile braces: progress so far (with pics!)

#1 Post by Sosowired »

Hi everyone, I'm 18 months into my journey with braces as a 25 year old (got them when I was 23). So far it's been great and on the whole I cannot recommend braces enough! I have ceramic braces on top, traditional metal on the bottom, and I'm also doing Suresmile.

I've been self conscious about my smile since I was a teenager - so much so that I can't find one single photo of myself properly smiling since I was about 13 (well, a big, open-mouthed, uninhibited smile at least). I had a deep bite with some crowding on the top and bottom, but I really, really hated my two lateral incisors, which were twisted and stuck out like fangs (see below).

I've been taking photos as I go, but the Archwired community has inspired me to collect them in all one place. I've really enjoyed reading about other people's experiences with their braces and seeing their before and after pics to keep me motivated during my journey. Hopefully recording mine can do the same for someone else!

Anyway, here's my before:
Before-1.jpg
Before-2.jpg
And at 4 months (sorry for the blurry pics!):
4 months.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sosowired

Re: 25 with Suresmile braces: progress so far (with pics!)

#2 Post by Sosowired »

And, at 6 months - I'd just got my Suresmile wire when I took these pics:
6 months.jpg
At 9 months:
9 months.jpg
And, now at 18 months :)
now.jpg
What do you think? Anyone else with similar 'before' teeth or doing Suresmile?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sosowired

#3 Post by Sosowired »

Feeling quite frustrated at the moment! My ortho has told me my braces are ready to come off, except for two stubborn teeth on my bottom row. He's trying to use rotation wedges to help them get into alignment but we don't seem to be getting anywhere and it's been going on since January :?

In fact, it almost looks like I'm going backwards? Or is it just me?!

Left: my bottom row in Jan 2015, Right: in March 2015
bottom row.jpg
And my teeth right now (with two rotation wedges):
May.jpg
The main offender!
may-2.jpg
Is anyone else having issues with their bottom teeth or is your ortho using rotation wedges? It is normal for it to take this long? At the moment I am considering asking him to remove my top braces (as my top teeth are done) so I don't have to keep wearing them while this continues :-+

Sosowired

#4 Post by Sosowired »

Ok, I've put together a list of questions to ask my ortho at my appointment next week as I'm feeling frustrated with how long it's taking to sort out my bottom teeth. I also think that the problem that has occured (my teeth getting stuck and not rotating due to stubborness but also to a lack of room) should have been forseen and I can see there's not enough room for it to come around fully. I'm a real chicken when it comes to raising concerns or asking how long things will take with my ortho which is weird as I'm usually reasonably assertive. Does anyone else have that problem?
Stuck!.jpg
It seems to be stuck and there's no room for it to rotate (excuse the stained ties and rotation wedges!) :roll:

So here are the questions I'm vowing to ask:

- How long do you think it will take to get the bottom teeth into position?
- What's your plan if they don't rotate enough this time (this is the second time he's used rotation wedges to push them back, and then normal ligatures to bring them forward
- Can I get my top braces off while you're fine tuning the bottom if it's going to take longer than a month?

Wish me luck! :|

TheProfessor

#5 Post by TheProfessor »

I have the same problem with asking my ortho questions, I think I'm always a little nervous at adjustments and I don't think clearly. I started writing my questions down and just go down the list when I have an appointment. It works great and my ortho is always happy to answer all my questions. Good luck with your appointment!!!!
Braces installed on March 25, 2014: Damon clears on top and metal on bottom.
I had braces for 25 months!

Sosowired

#6 Post by Sosowired »

Thank you!! Glad to hear someone else feels the same way :) that's a good idea to write questions down to bring to the appointment. I'm not sure why it's difficult to ask questions - I also find the same thing with doctors!

Sosowired

Suresmile wire woes

#7 Post by Sosowired »

Today I went to the orthodontist and for better or worse it was an enlightening appointment. Apparently my top teeth are nearly done and he put a powerchain on them and shaved between my front teeth and my laterals as I mentioned I was unhappy with some black triangles near the gums.

Now, my bottom teeth. My ortho actually took my suresmile wire off the bottom and put a thinner, standard wire :!: :!: on as apparently the suresmile wire wasn't grabbing my stubborn, rotated tooth properly. I'll need to go back in three weeks to check if that's worked. He said the game plan is to try and get them straight asap as it's been taking far longer than he expected - you're telling me! I'm thinking that my bottom teeth would have probably been better off with switching to a standard wire about 4-6 months ago - this is a little frustrating, especially as Suresmile is supposed to be more precise. Not in this case.

I mentioned to the assistant that I'm going on a work trip at the beginning of July and would LOVE to have them off by then. The assistant said that was unlikely :cry: but hesistantly said maybe my top ones *could* be off by then. But then my ortho came in and said he'd aim for that and was slightly more positive than her... but then again he has told me I'd be getting them off soon for about 8 months so I don't entirely trust that.

The back office of the Ortho is beside the carpark, and as I was getting into my car I saw the assistant and another assistant (who saw me last time during my last appointment) talking about something and shaking their heads. I know this is rather paranoid but I did feel as though they were talking about my case and about the projection he gave me - especially as the assistant who saw me last time seemed frustrated with my ortho and surprised that he hadn't foreseen my bottom tooth getting stuck. I do feel as though the last six months of treatment on the bottom teeth has been a bit of a stuff up. :ThumbsDown: Not much I can really do about that now though so focusing on the positive and hoping this change will bring progress!

Anyway, here are my teeth. I got a pearl powerchain.
Problem tooth.jpg

Sosowired

#8 Post by Sosowired »

Ok, it's now a few hours later and my teeth are very sore - a lot more than they've been for a long time. Hopefully this means progress!!! :jump:

Sosowired

Progress with standard wire

#9 Post by Sosowired »

The standard wire has been on my bottom row for nearly three weeks now and I think it's actually working!! Here is a comparison pic showing the progress in the last few weeks:
Progress.jpg

Still trying to figure out whether my ortho just didn't really know what he was doing with the Suresmile wire, or whether my tooth is just incredibly stubborn. Either way I have an appointment on Monday and really hope it goes well! I'd LOVE to get my braces off in the next few months.

Sosowired

Removal date!

#10 Post by Sosowired »

I went to my appointment on Monday and was given what will hopefully be a removal date! I have an appointment to go back in 3 weeks, and a removal appointment scheduled the week after if my teeth look good and I'm given the go ahead. My 'problem tooth' has moved quite a bit but is still not quite perfect ... so we'll see.

I'd be very happy to get them off in 4 weeks but trying not to get my hopes up too much! Even if they're not ready then, this means the removal is definitely in sight so I'm feeling great about that! :-*

tartanhabit

#11 Post by tartanhabit »

Fabulous - how interesting that a little gap opened up in the front two teeth along the way and now it all looks perfect (to me!) Hope you get everything just how you want. Congrats!

Sosowired

#12 Post by Sosowired »

Thanks! I'm very happy with how they're looking, so much so that I can quite believe they're really 'mine'. Maybe I'll feel like it's real when they're off though! Yes the gaps between the front and side teeth were quite suprising - it's amazing how braces work. I'll never not be fascinated with the process and seeing people's before and afters.

Sosowired

Getting nervous!

#13 Post by Sosowired »

I said I wouldn't get my hopes up about my removal date, but I'm getting very nervous/excited about my appointment in two weeks when I find out if I am in fact getting them off on July 8...Keep obsessively examining at that *one tooth* to see if its in place and reading everyone's removal stories and before/afters. Hopefully the end is near!

Sosowired

At my wits' end

#14 Post by Sosowired »

After all the excitement about hopefully getting my braces off on July 8, and feeling pleased that my stubborn tooth was - finally - getting into place, things have taken a turn for the worse. Over the past few days the tooth has started going in a different direction and is getting further and further away from where it's supposed to be. A gap has opened up and it is now titling the wrong way again. I can't believe it. I'm not sure whether to call my ortho and tell him it is actually getting worse or just wait until next week to be told that no, they're not ready to come off. I'm totally gutted. Does anyone have any advice?
Photo on 21-06-15 at 3.31 pm #2.jpg

NeilH

#15 Post by NeilH »

Hi, sorry to hear things haven't been going to plan. With your next appointment so close it's probably worth waiting but I'm sure it must be frustrating to see progress and then feel it slipping away. I have had a similar issue with front lower teeth taking an age to get into the right position but they do eventually settle where they are supposed to be. I'm sure you don't want to hear this but maybe it's worth waiting just a few more months to get a fantastic result rather than finishing early and not being happy with the end result? I'm just where you are now. I have everything almost right but have a small gap next to one of my front teeth that won't close so am patiently waiting for this to happen. Hang in there!