Metal braces for a crowded, gummy smile

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

ItsFreyja

Metal braces for a crowded, gummy smile

#1 Post by ItsFreyja »

Hello Archwired! I've decided to take the plunge in my mid-30s and thought I'd document the journey here so that my husband doesn't have to hear every little thing about my treatment. Reading people's stories here has given me a lot of confidence that I can handle (and that I deserve!) getting my teeth fixed as an adult -- thanks to all of you!

History
  • Because of narrow arches (thumb sucker/genetics), crowding, and a 3rd central incisor messing things up on top, I wore palatal expanders and then braces from ages 7 to 9. (Thanks Mom!)
  • I was told at age 13 that I didn't need further treatment and didn't need to wear retainers anymore.
  • I made it through high school with a pretty nice smile and had my wisdom teeth extracted at 17.
  • By 20, one of my lower central incisors had rotated nearly 90 degrees due to crowding. I had it fixed inexpensively with a spring aligner and got a permanent retainer bonded across the bottom central 4 teeth.
  • Over the last 10 years, my teeth have continued to crowd, rotate, and tilt. They're by no means awful but...
Current problems, in descending order of concern to me
  • Lower and upper right canines have been crowded out of arch. The upper one now sits on my lower lip when I smile and the lower one has rotated about 50 degrees; both are getting worse.
  • Upper central incisor is retroclined, and is worsening.
  • Smile is narrow, especially on right side where back teeth are hidden behind those canines.
  • Vertical maxillary excess -- my very gummy smile has long bothered me, but I was told years ago that only surgery would help (not interested), and I have learned to hide it most of the time.
  • Several incisors and one canine are chipped, which will probably be even more obvious after they are straight.
  • Bite is a half-step out of alignment on right side.
Deciding on braces
  • My dentist, who is my age and just got his braces off, had been encouraging me to at least have retainers made to stop my runaway canines, which are causing more and more gum inflammation where I can't floss them well.
  • The more I thought about it, the more sense it made to just have things fixed once and for all.
  • I'm working from home with minimal client contact for the next year or so, so this is a good time in my life to have it done.
  • My board-certified ortho is confident of a great result with metal braces.
Treatment plan
  • 12 months in metal braces to fix displaced canines, generally straighten and round out arches, and open up my slightly deep bite.
  • $2800 for complete treatment.
  • I have the option to add 4 TADs mid-treatment (for another $1000) to attempt to intrude my upper teeth and improve my gummy smile. Because we will intrude my uppers a bit with the braces to open my deep bite, I am going to see how that turns out before deciding to add TADs.
  • I will begin treatment with molar buildups and possibly a bite turbo or two up front so that my top teeth don't hit my bottom brackets.
Treatment concerns
  • My weight: I don't have any to lose, so I'll be monitoring it and guzzling high-calorie shakes during my first few weeks with molar buildups. I hope the buildups will be able to come off quickly.
  • My kids: will probably think Mom getting braces is cool at first. I hope not to whine or do/say anything that will negatively impact their attitudes toward braces (which they will eventually need).
  • My teeth: I can't imagine giving up coffee, red wine, etc. so I hope I can keep my teeth white and my ligatures from showing horrible stains.
  • My face: I have a long face with an oddly heavy, round jawline that accentuates the narrowness and gumminess of my smile. I'm hoping for at least a minor improvement just from the braces. Should I do the TADs? It seems like many folks who get Le Fort I for vertical maxillary excess also get cheek implants and chin reshaping to keep from looking too weird. More musings on this to follow....
BeforeSmile.JPG
BeforeBite.JPG
BeforeLower.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ItsFreyja

Re: Metal braces for a crowded, gummy smile

#2 Post by ItsFreyja »

Just back from my records appointment. My car hit 88,888 miles in the ortho's parking lot. The numbers kinda looked like braces -- a good omen, I hope!

Braces on in two weeks!

metalliKa

#3 Post by metalliKa »

[quote="ItsFreyja"]Just back from my records appointment. My car hit 88,888 miles in the ortho's parking lot. The numbers kinda looked like braces -- a good omen, I hope!

Braces on in two weeks![/quote]

I can't view your photos yet, but definitely those 8s are definitely auspicious!

PhDGuy

#4 Post by PhDGuy »

Just read your story! I'm also in the same age group as you are but got my braces for the first time about a month ago to sort out minor crowding and more importantly overbite/deep bite issues. Looks like your brace date should be coming up soon, so good luck! Have you decided on the TADs yet? Argh, and those molar buildups suck but it's just an excuse to eat all the ice cream and pudding in the world ;) You will get used to them in a couple of weeks and should be able to eat normally.

Top and Bottom Damon 3MX Braces put on 4/13/2015

ItsFreyja

#5 Post by ItsFreyja »

Braces are on! Full metal top and bottom, with lots of lovely little hooks to catch on my lips continually, and molar buildups to keep me from biting off my lower brackets. I have a mix of wire ties and silver ligatures -- ortho prefers the wire ties for teeth that need to move a lot, which I apparently have quite a few of!

I've seen people say this here before, but I'm amazed at how much worse my teeth look with braces on, especially the uppers -- the bendy wire and crooked brackets really do accentuate issues that I didn't think were that bad before.
StartSmile.JPG
StartUpper.JPG
StartLower.JPG
I've spent more time than I care to admit in front of a mirror, practicing how to smile without flashing all my hardware. I'm also noticing that my usually moderate degree of "resting b*tchface" is a lot worse with braces; I'll need to be mindful of that so that random people don't come up to me and tell me to smile (this is a thing women get to deal with, yay).

Thanks for the encouraging words, metalliKa and PhDGuy! I'm looking forward to ice cream for dinner tonight but I'm more optimistic than before about being able to eat, once the initial soreness subsides anyway. I still haven't decided on the TAD intrusion, but I'm leaning against it in hopes that the 1-2mm of intrusion I expect just from opening up my bite will make a big difference visually. You can see what the ortho is shooting for from the position of the brackets on my upper centrals; I suspect a reverse-curve wire is in my future also. We'll see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

NeilH

#6 Post by NeilH »

Hi, congratulations on getting started and great choice in getting metal brackets, I haven't regretted mine! I had an overjet and the top teeth covered most of my bottom teeth but this was fixed with class 2 elastics and a reverse curve arch wire. This stage only took around 6 months and the difference is quite amazing. You will see loads of movement in the next couple of months so don't worry about your teeth looking more crooked with braces, the arch wire will straighten them in no time.

Good luck.

ItsFreyja

#7 Post by ItsFreyja »

Thanks NeilH! Sounds like you have a similar situation with the deep bite -- I'm so glad to hear it's gone well for you. I hope this stage goes just as quickly for me as I will be so much happier without the molar buildups!!

Other thoughts after the first couple of days...

Tooth soreness is pretty mild, nothing I can't live with. The hooks on my molars and the ends of the wires have torn up my cheeks a little bit, but I'm a musician who relies heavily on calluses so I have faith in my body's ability to deal with those irritations. Also, wax.

Eating is better than I thought. The tech was conservative with my molar buildups and I can sort of crush most food. Raw vegetables are right out, though. I thought rice would be a good choice but NO -- turns out the grains are the exact size/shape to wedge themselves tightly between wire and tooth. Bacon is also a nonstarter. :cry:

I have heat-activated wires and the ortho says to rinse with hot water several times a day; I'm going with the more socially acceptable several cups of tea a day. It's actually nice to have an excuse to get up from my desk to make a cup.

My ortho gave me a Waterpik and I'm sure there must be a way to use it without dousing the entire bathroom, but I haven't figured it out yet....

aspiromusings

#8 Post by aspiromusings »

ItsFreyja wrote:Thanks NeilH! Sounds like you have a similar situation with the deep bite -- I'm so glad to hear it's gone well for you. I hope this stage goes just as quickly for me as I will be so much happier without the molar buildups!!

Other thoughts after the first couple of days...

Tooth soreness is pretty mild, nothing I can't live with. The hooks on my molars and the ends of the wires have torn up my cheeks a little bit, but I'm a musician who relies heavily on calluses so I have faith in my body's ability to deal with those irritations. Also, wax.

Eating is better than I thought. The tech was conservative with my molar buildups and I can sort of crush most food. Raw vegetables are right out, though. I thought rice would be a good choice but NO -- turns out the grains are the exact size/shape to wedge themselves tightly between wire and tooth. Bacon is also a nonstarter. :cry:

I have heat-activated wires and the ortho says to rinse with hot water several times a day; I'm going with the more socially acceptable several cups of tea a day. It's actually nice to have an excuse to get up from my desk to make a cup.

My ortho gave me a Waterpik and I'm sure there must be a way to use it without dousing the entire bathroom, but I haven't figured it out yet....
Firstly resting b*tch face also occurs in men and mine has been very on point since I got braces

I pretty much eat and drink whatever I want and have been doing this throughout the treatment - I am not however courageous enough (yet) to venture to burgers or streak

Waterpik is the most amazing invention since sliced bread as far as I am concerned lol, it is my precious, takes a bit of practice but once you get the hang of it you will never want to clean without it! :HugeGrin:

Congratulations on taking the plunge and can't wait to see more progress pictures
Blog - http://aspiroisbraced.blogspot.com/

Top Braces on 20th March 2015

Bottom braces on 28th August 2015

Top premolars extracted 25th April 2015

Debraced 15th December 2017 :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :-*

ItsFreyja

#9 Post by ItsFreyja »

First month in braces is over! I confess I'm a little jealous of the crooked-incisor folks who see amazing progress in their first month. Not much going on here, although the right UC and UL have improved (the camera angle exaggerates the improvement, though):
Month1.jpg
I'm really hoping to move into bigger and/or curve of spee wires at my first adjustment so that I can get on with the real work of arch widening and bite opening. I'm also going to ask that my molar build-ups be built back up... they've worn down so that I hit my bottom brackets if I'm not careful, but of course I still can't chew properly.

ItsFreyja

#10 Post by ItsFreyja »

First adjustment today -- moved to a .014 x .025 rectangular wire on the top, kept the same .014 round wire on the bottom, swapped a few wire ties for rubbery ligs. Ortho was not worried about my worn-down bite blocks, says I won't need them at all pretty soon. I hope he's right!! He says my new wire is great for expansion, so I'm looking forward to seeing more visible results this month.

tartanhabit

#11 Post by tartanhabit »

Great to read your story - you have great teeth to start with! I am also one of the few concerned about losing weight - have none to spare. Are you still making shakes? I love my protein shake/almond milk/dollop of nut butter combo but any recommendations gratefully received. I'm eating fairly normally but a few things feel too iffy, like toast/nuts so my weight management snacking is taking a bit of a hit.

LittleSern

#12 Post by LittleSern »

It was such a pleasure reading your posts so far! I had my Damon braces inserted on March 20th, 2015. My first two wires were round and I just got my third, rectangular wire put in on 6/26. My ortho also said that this will help with expansion.

I have similar issues as you in that I have a deep bite and somewhat of a gummy smile that I've always been insecure about. My understanding from my ortho is that my gummy smile is partly dental (due to bite issues) and partly skeletal (simply having a longer maxilla, I'm assuming). He said that when you have an overbite/deep bite, your front teeth along with your gum line move downward since there is no resistance preventing them from doing so. Before agreeing to treatment, I asked my ortho if it was possible to intrude the teeth without the use of anchors and he said that it was possible using just the braces. As you alluded to in your posts, I am sure the braces can only do so much, though.

My ortho did say that I will, at some point, be wearing a reverse curve wire to help with this, though he said that they should only be worn for a short period of time in order to make sure the smile arc is preserved. I also care a lot about the smile arc as well!

The first two wires did a lot to align all of the teeth, bringing the canines down lower than they were before. For a while there it felt like my smile was gummier than ever because of that, but I think my incisors must have intruded a little bit because it doesn't really seem as gummy as before, what do you think? People in my family have been commenting on how my smile looks less gummy so I guess I'm just not noticing it since I see myself every day.

Here are my before pics:

Progress pics from day 1 (March 20), about 1 month later, and then June 26th.

ItsFreyja

#13 Post by ItsFreyja »

Thanks for the kind words, tartanhabit and LittleSern!

I did lose a couple of pounds the first couple weeks, and I really would have gained them back by now if not for my own laziness. I'm embarrassed to admit this, but it's so much trouble to clean my teeth after eating that I end up just skipping a lot of my snacktimes. Tartanhabit, I have found a lot of good braces-friendly snacks -- in fact I have a fridge full of lovely cheese, yogurt, hummus, soft fruits -- now I just need to remember to eat them! I am still a big fan of the breakfast shake and since my teeth always seem the sorest first thing in the morning, I will be sticking with those for the foreseeable future.

LittleSern, your smile definitely looks less gummy in the latest picture! Great progress. Since you're a couple months ahead of me it will be interesting to watch your story and see what might be in my future. I notice that you're also half a cusp forward of Class I canine/molar alignment like I am; I'll be interested to see how your ortho chooses to work that issue out, as I had different approaches proposed to me at early consults.

ItsFreyja

#14 Post by ItsFreyja »

Month 2 update. Nothing dramatic going on here but I can see small, steady improvements all over the place.
Month2.jpg
All the heavy lifting is still to come. I need continued arch widening to even things out and make space for that wonky lower right canine. I need my upper right posteriors distalized to bring me fully into Class I alignment. And I need my overbite opened up -- you can see what a deep bite I still have in the month 2 picture, and that's with molar buildups!

I go in next week to get a rectangle wire on the bottom and I plan to ask about what the next couple of months have in store for me. I'm especially eager to get on with intruding the uppers. My UCs have been intruded almost 1 mm and look a lot better for it, but the entire dentition really needs to move on up.

ItsFreyja

#15 Post by ItsFreyja »

Second adjustment today, new rectangular wires: .014 x .025 Ni-Ti on bottom, .019 x .025 TMA on top. The tech was super rough in engaging the wires and cranking the steel ties, and both the tech and the ortho warned me that I'd be pretty sore. Ooof.

The good news is that I should see a lot of progress over the next weeks, and the ortho said there's a chance ("maybe") that he could start opening my bite and take off my molar buildups at my next visit. We'll see.