Expander KILLING MY toungue

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

masonpc

Expander KILLING MY toungue

#1 Post by masonpc »

I recently got an expander and after a few days I noted that the expander is making an impression on my tongue i have heard things about using wax and band aids but am a little scared because if it the wax or bandaid fell out and got stuck in my mouth i was also wondering if you had any suggestions for preventing food from getting under the expander thanks
Mason

Ridingboots

Re: Expander KILLING MY toungue

#2 Post by Ridingboots »

Hi Mason

I to have just had expander installed and as my tongue is so gets caught up on sides of expander I am eating very soft foods as tongue is very rubbed. I hope in few days time this will improve and so far can honestly say I prefer braces to the horrid expander

Sorry not much help but at least you know your not suffering alone. What type of expander do you have ? I have a quadhelix

Sharon

Schedule
Braces Installed 23 Oct 2014
Adjustment - 18 Dec 14, 19 Feb 15, 7 Apr
5 Mar 15 Palate installed
Somewhere in the Future- Double Jaw Surgery

dantocanada

#3 Post by dantocanada »

Yah, I wish I could tell you it gets a lot better, but it only gets a little bit better. I'm 8 weeks in and my tongue is still irritated, although admittedly not as bad. Eating does become easier as your mouth adapts (you just can't eat as fast), but I actually found that as I "expanded" the Expander, because the bar that contacts my tongue grew wider, my lisp became more pronounced. Now that it is fully open, I have a permanent lisp that is noticeable. If I talk a lot, my tongue starts to hurt as it is rubbing against the bar and I have trouble pronouncing words that use my palate, e.g. SH words. So, in short, this is unfortunately one of those grin and bear it kind of things that you're just going to have to live with for a few months.

Ridingboots

#4 Post by Ridingboots »

dantocanada wrote:Yah, I wish I could tell you it gets a lot better, but it only gets a little bit better. I'm 8 weeks in and my tongue is still irritated, although admittedly not as bad. Eating does become easier as your mouth adapts (you just can't eat as fast), but I actually found that as I "expanded" the Expander, because the bar that contacts my tongue grew wider, my lisp became more pronounced. Now that it is fully open, I have a permanent lisp that is noticeable. If I talk a lot, my tongue starts to hurt as it is rubbing against the bar and I have trouble pronouncing words that use my palate, e.g. SH words. So, in short, this is unfortunately one of those grin and bear it kind of things that you're just going to have to live with for a few months.

What sort of expander do you have as there is one with key the Rapid Maxillary Expander and the other one which is quad helix. Did you have sarpe?

Schedule
Braces Installed 23 Oct 2014
Adjustment - 18 Dec 14, 19 Feb 15, 7 Apr
5 Mar 15 Palate installed
Somewhere in the Future- Double Jaw Surgery

dantocanada

#5 Post by dantocanada »

I had Wilckodontics as an alternative to SARPE, but the goal was the same...to expand my upper palate. Not sure exactly what kind of expander it is, but it is bonded and has a key to open it. Two bands attached to my second molar on either side. I turned it 28 times (7mm), and now it will stay in (I'm told) until May / June.

Featheryy1221

#6 Post by Featheryy1221 »

I wouldn't use a band aid, use wax instead if it's hurting you. Wax isn't a big deal if you swallow it, it happens.

There isn't much you can do while eating to prevent food from sticking unfortunately. After a while you get sick of the soft food diet. I was over that diet after 1 or 2 weeks and then I ate whatever I wanted (including cut up spaghetti, which is probably the worst food ever to have with an expander haha). Invest in a waterpik or be prepared to swish a lot of water and use proxabrushes (Christmas tree brushes) to get the food out.

Hang in there, expander people. Been there, done that. It's the worst, but you will be very, very happy with your results. :) So just focus on the end result whenever you have a bad day or get really frustrated with it.

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

RandomUsernameLOL

#7 Post by RandomUsernameLOL »

I got an expander about a month ago and it still hurts now and then. Try using warm water with salt in it, it helps. :D