Wonky to Wonderful: My Smile Renovation

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cdmoses6

Re: Wonky to Wonderful: My Smile Renovation

#76 Post by cdmoses6 »

MrPlenty wrote:Awesome progress. And what an amazing smile to go along with it. I have a feeling that if you havent started already you will be smiling a whole lot more when those braces are removed
Thank you SO much!! :D I cannot wait to smile in pictures w/o having to try and get the "perfect" angle so that my teeth don't look as weird.
ugh wrote:Your teeth look great!
Thank you!!! :mrgreen:
BeautifulDisaster wrote:I am amazed at your progress!
You and me both!! I never would have imagined such quick progress.

UPDATE
Monday is my next appointment and I will be getting my TADs. I am a little nervous! :FeelSick: Haven't read too many stories of people getting TADs so I'm unsure of what to expect. I will make a very detailed update afterwards so that you can all know how TADs are done!
Braces on March 6th, 2015
Metal Empower self-ligating brackets, upper and lower
Class II, Division II overbite with crowding
Upper 2nd premolars extracted May 1st, 2015
First Powerchain and Class II Manatee Elastics June 15th, 2015
TADs placed July 27th, 2015
Box Manatee Elastics April 1st, 2016
Teeth shaping May 4th, 2016

My Progress: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48229

Ridingboots

#77 Post by Ridingboots »

You must be super happy with your progress and hope the Tads go well for you :D

you are going to have great smile once everything is finished

Schedule
Braces Installed 23 Oct 2014
Adjustment - 18 Dec 14, 19 Feb 15, 7 Apr
5 Mar 15 Palate installed
Somewhere in the Future- Double Jaw Surgery

metalliKa

#78 Post by metalliKa »

KsJohn wrote:During my dental treatment, orthodontist suggest me to take proper guideline so that in future I never faced any problem. He suggests me to avoid alcoholic drinks, smoking and chewing gum if possible.
Contrary, my ortho demanded that I chew gum on a daily basis. I'm always offered a sugarless piece of gum after every adjustment. The chewing massages gums and stimulate blood flood therefore encourages movement. Were you a pre-teen when you went through your orhto treatment? My BF has a 12 yo daughter and per her ortho, she cannot chew gum or anything sticky. I'm not sure why adults are allowed to...maybe perhaps we are now better at taking care of our teeth?

cdmoses6, I have a huge gaping hole left from a tooth extraction a little over two years ago (my first molar on my lower right). My ortho said he cannot close the gap orthodontically due to bone loss. I've read a few that TADS help to close gaps, but didn't mention if they can close old gaps. I keep forgetting to ask my ortho about TADS for possible closure of that gap...if it's possible.
Offenses: Skeletal and Dental Class 2 malocclusion
Sentence: 12-15 months
Jailed: 3/24/15
Released: 5/24/16
Life behind brackets: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=48554

cdmoses6

#79 Post by cdmoses6 »

Ridingboots wrote:You must be super happy with your progress and hope the Tads go well for you :D

you are going to have great smile once everything is finished
Thank you!! I am very happy with the progress so far!! :-*

MetalliKa
I don't know if you would be able to fix your gap with a TAD. Would definitely be something to look into though! And I do chew gum quite frequently. I also drink LOTS of water. I think maybe this combination is helping my tooth move so quickly? Who knows...

cdmoses6

#80 Post by cdmoses6 »

TADS UPDATE!!!

Ok so it has now been 1 day since I got my TAD's placed and I wanted to give everyone a rundown of what happened at my appointment yesterday.

The ortho assistant came and got me and we went to a side room so I could have a little more privacy. She started by taking a panoramic X-Ray of my teeth. She then took off my old ligs and had me swish with a special mouthwash for 30 seconds. She then started the numbing process by placing big globs of green stuff up on my gums where the TADs would be placed. Once I was nice and numb, the ortho came in and gave me 2 shots - one each on the outer gum where the TADs would go. They weren't bad at all. We waited for that to set in then I had to swish again.

Once I was completely numb, the ortho came back, and took a good look at my xrays. He was deciding exactly how/where to place my TADs. When he was ready, he took the TAD (an 8mm long screw) and began twisting it into my jaw bone. I didn't feel anything but a slight pressure believe it or not! Once the TADs were in place it was time for X-Ray #2. He had to check to make sure he didn't puncture any of my roots with the TADs. He liked the way it turned out and set me loose to have my 1st molars anchored to the TADs.

This was the fun part lol It took 2 ortho assistants to tie down my teeth! They took a very thin steel wire and threaded it through a tiny hole in the TAD. They then twisted the wire all the way down to my molar, where it was threaded onto the bracket. It was quite the process! Since the TADs were placed so high up, it was difficult to get to. One had to hold my mouth open while the other twisted the wire. They collaborated very well and made sure it was done correctly. They did a great job!

Overall I was very comfortable with the whole procedure. Once the numbing agent wore off, however, I was very sore. I am still sore today but it's bearable. At it's worst I'd rate the pain a 6/10 when agitated, but mostly 4/10 the first day and today maybe a 2. I also got a 20 square wire on top and powerchains connecting the 6's (where the TAD is tied to) to my 4's (my 5's were extracted and is the gap we are closing).

Now for a few pictures! The first is showing the TAD I have on one side (the other side is identical). I also took a picture of the gap that was created in just one day!! :D Crazy!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ridingboots

#81 Post by Ridingboots »

Ouch that looks like it would hurt but when things start moving I am sure it makes most discomfort worth it

Schedule
Braces Installed 23 Oct 2014
Adjustment - 18 Dec 14, 19 Feb 15, 7 Apr
5 Mar 15 Palate installed
Somewhere in the Future- Double Jaw Surgery

cdmoses6

#82 Post by cdmoses6 »

Well hey there everyone! It feels like its been a long time since I've checked in. A lot has happened recently!! I am now 6.5 months into treatment. My most recent appointment was just yesterday. My bite is on track so elastics only at night now!! SO excited about that. They also untied my tads! The screws are still in there but they have removed the steel wire that was tying them to my 1st molars. I now have my first full arch powerchain on top (its pink!). They haven't done anything to my lower arch in about 2 months or so now.

My Ortho is pretty amazed at my progress! He says I am really cruisin along! I have been debating whether or not to ask him how much longer he thinks I have. It would be pretty awesome to be done in less than a year!! Here's to wishful thinking :wink:

I will try to post some pics soon! Hope everyone is doing well!!

cdmoses6

#83 Post by cdmoses6 »

Progress pics :mrgreen:
Sorry if they're huge, I can't resize them on my phone.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ItsFreyja

#84 Post by ItsFreyja »

Looking good! What lovely shaped teeth you have. Those gaps have closed up really quickly; you must be so pleased!

EWUgal15

#85 Post by EWUgal15 »

cdmoses6 wrote:Well hey there everyone! It feels like its been a long time since I've checked in. A lot has happened recently!! I am now 6.5 months into treatment. My most recent appointment was just yesterday. My bite is on track so elastics only at night now!! SO excited about that. They also untied my tads! The screws are still in there but they have removed the steel wire that was tying them to my 1st molars. I now have my first full arch powerchain on top (its pink!). They haven't done anything to my lower arch in about 2 months or so now.

My Ortho is pretty amazed at my progress! He says I am really cruisin along! I have been debating whether or not to ask him how much longer he thinks I have. It would be pretty awesome to be done in less than a year!! Here's to wishful thinking :wink:

I will try to post some pics soon! Hope everyone is doing well!!
You're teeth are looking great for 6.5 months! I had an adjustment last week and went with pink powerchains as well, but I have them top and bottom. I normally hate pink, with a passion, but I really like how these look!

cdmoses6

#86 Post by cdmoses6 »

Hey everyone! It's been a while again lol I don't have access to the internet much anymore so I've kind of dropped the ball with my braces journal here. I've been in braces for just shy of a year already so here's a quick update!

1) TAD's are gone. YAY! The screws became loose shortly after they were untied and I had to have them removed. I could literally wiggle them up and down like a loose tooth! And my ortho made me feel like it was my fault and that I was just trying to get them taken out? Whatever...
2) My gaps have closed! Finally! I got my 5's pulled on 5/01/15, and just within the last few weeks they have closed. My ortho hasn't seen this yet but my next appointment is this Friday 2/26!
3) I am hopefully getting some brackets repositioned on Friday! A few teeth on the front both top and bottom. The teeth are in line horizontally but not vertically (if that makes sense) After those few things are sorted out, I don't think I'll have anything left to fix! :shock:

I think that's all the updates I have for now!

I do have some questions for everyone! I am super nervous about staining. I plan on asking my ortho to let me see my teeth when the brackets are removed to be repositioned. I haven't been super diligent with my oral hygiene. I brush my teeth everyday, usually only once, and after meals I usually just swish with water and use an interdental brush. My teeth look clean, but I can't tell if they are any different a shade than before. I drink coffee most days (often with a straw) and have been drinking diet soda (maybe a few times a week). Is it super easy to get stains?? I would be so devastated! :Questions:

Hope everyone is doing awesome!!!

nicolie825

#87 Post by nicolie825 »

I personally didn't have problems with staining once my brackets were removed. And I was drinking dark soda without a straw (which I don't normally do), an occassional latte, and got lazy with my cleaning routine towards the end because I knew I was getting my teeth whitened after braces anyway. Even looking at most people's debanding photos you don't really see staining so I think you'll be ok. I think staining is mostly a problem for people that reeeeally neglect their oral hygiene while in braces

cdmoses6

#88 Post by cdmoses6 »

nicolie825 wrote:I personally didn't have problems with staining once my brackets were removed. And I was drinking dark soda without a straw (which I don't normally do), an occassional latte, and got lazy with my cleaning routine towards the end because I knew I was getting my teeth whitened after braces anyway. Even looking at most people's debanding photos you don't really see staining so I think you'll be ok. I think staining is mostly a problem for people that reeeeally neglect their oral hygiene while in braces
Ok whew! I certainly haven't been all that bad with cleaning my braces, so hopefully I won't have any issues! I will definitely have to see about a whitening treatment afterwards, but I've heard they are expensive! I was thinking of doing some over-the-counter stuff like whitening strips or something. We'll see tomorrow!

P.S. Everyone, I will post some new pictures tomorrow after my ortho appt! I think I might get a purple chain? I really liked the royal blue though too! Decisions decisions...

nicolie825

#89 Post by nicolie825 »

cdmoses6 wrote:
nicolie825 wrote:I personally didn't have problems with staining once my brackets were removed. And I was drinking dark soda without a straw (which I don't normally do), an occassional latte, and got lazy with my cleaning routine towards the end because I knew I was getting my teeth whitened after braces anyway. Even looking at most people's debanding photos you don't really see staining so I think you'll be ok. I think staining is mostly a problem for people that reeeeally neglect their oral hygiene while in braces
Ok whew! I certainly haven't been all that bad with cleaning my braces, so hopefully I won't have any issues! I will definitely have to see about a whitening treatment afterwards, but I've heard they are expensive! I was thinking of doing some over-the-counter stuff like whitening strips or something. We'll see tomorrow!

P.S. Everyone, I will post some new pictures tomorrow after my ortho appt! I think I might get a purple chain? I really liked the royal blue though too! Decisions decisions...
I got Zoom whitening which was $400 at my dentist's office. So definitely not cheap, but it was worth it because my teeth needed it even before braces. I get whitening gel to put in my retainers to maintain the results so hopefully I never have to get the actual whitening process done again because the sensitivity wasn't fun lol

Looking forward to your progress pics!

cdmoses6

#90 Post by cdmoses6 »

My adjustment today went great! I had three brackets removed and repositioned. It wasn't too bad when they popped off the brackets. The worst part for me was getting the glue off. Only because it involved really cold air that hurt my sensitive teeth.

I also got to brush and floss with no wires. It was awesome, I've never done that before. And I'm super relieved that my teeth had zero signs of staining! Yayyy!! Very happy about that. It was pretty cool getting to see a few teeth with out braces. Definitely a nice little sneak peek!

And here are some pictures! Huge again, but can't resize on my phone.