Damon Clear - aspiromusings braced @33 story

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

aspiromusings

Damon Clear - aspiromusings braced @33 story

#1 Post by aspiromusings »

Hey braced friends,

Been lurking around this forum and website for a while and just thought its time I chipped in some.

How it all started

I am 33 and my story starts out very similar to most of you, I have been told to get braces since my teens but was (1) too self conscious (2) too scared (3)didnt think my teeth were that bad (4) being Asian as well was 100% sure my dentist just wanted to make more money out of me

Cue me at 32 just finished my MBA and decided that it was 2015 was the year of f@#$ it just do it I have decided to go ahead with many things off my list that I never had the courage to do - getting braces was one of them.

The diagnosis

I shopped around (I highly recommend this) and whilst the orthodontists had some differences in their approach the diagnosis was fairly similar

1. Upper canines left and right - they need to come down and align
2. Overbite almost covering my lower teeth - I have been told this only gets worst with age and that some surgery may be required later on in life if I don't fix it now (!!)
3. Having an overbite and being a grinder is not a good combination - over the years I have worn out my bottom teeth in the front
4. Crowding is also beginning in the front bottom row which I have noticed is getting worst

The treatment

Being fairly conscious of my appearance I had initially looked into invisialign but I was not a candidate :( . I was going to go with a technology called simpliclear (clear brackets and clear polymer wires) but apparently the company that makes them is currently going through an acquisition and as such their future is uncertain. My selected orthodontist did give me an option for a combination treatment of invisialign and damon clear however the results are uncertain with this one and I definitely dis not want to spend many years in metal SO....I ended up choosing Damon Clear only

I will also eventually have to remove two teeth on the top to make room for my canines to come down

Estimated sentence - tentatively 2 - 2.5 years :( :( :( :(

My thoughts and what I've learnt so far as a soon to be adult brace wearer

1. It is so important to pick an orthodontist who you feel comfortable with, after all once them braces are in you're stuck with them for 2++ years! - the first one I went to seemed to prescribe a one size fits all approach of remove 6 teeth (2 on the top row and all 4 wisdom) and metal braces. The second one I spoke to took her time to explain the procedure and options and said that she would only extract as necessary - the catch is she is actually 3.5 hours away from where I live however I would not risk having someone im not comfortable with do my treament

2. Once the whole internal struggle on whether or not is done it actually feels quite exciting to get braces! mostly because I'm spending time dreaming about perfect teeth now and while my appointment is not till March I cant wait for the process to begin

3. In the meantime I am collecting soft food recipes, having fun experimenting with blender shake recipes and of course reading this forum, blender is your best friend moving forward thats for sure

4. If Tom Cruise can do it so can I (right?)

5. I've really begun to notice adult brace wearers around me and you know what? there's a lot of them! I am 33, work in the corporate world and have to talk and interact with a lot of people for my job and this actually makes me feel better about the whole pending process

Once my top row is in I will post some before after photos, I look forward to sharing and learning from all of you

Cheers
Blog - http://aspiroisbraced.blogspot.com/

Top Braces on 20th March 2015

Bottom braces on 28th August 2015

Top premolars extracted 25th April 2015

Debraced 15th December 2017 :D :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :-*

cdnbracegirl

Re: Damon Clear - aspiromusings braced @33 story

#2 Post by cdnbracegirl »

aspiromusings wrote: (4) being Asian as well was 100% sure my dentist just wanted to make more money out of me
This^^. I'm Asian too and my parents thought the same as well so just left it. You are doing the right thing for yourself. I just got my braces off and can tell you that it's changed my life. I was self-conscious when I got them but it was all in my head. My co-workers didn't care or notice. Everyone you talk to knows you're doing something great for yourself. You'll get the odd person that points out that you have braces and wants to talk to you about their stories. I agree with choosing an ortho that you are comfortable with. Mine is incredible and I am so, so grateful to her for her compassion and kindness. Best of luck with your journey! :)

aspiromusings

#3 Post by aspiromusings »

cdnbracegirl wrote:
aspiromusings wrote: (4) being Asian as well was 100% sure my dentist just wanted to make more money out of me
This^^. I'm Asian too and my parents thought the same as well so just left it. You are doing the right thing for yourself. I just got my braces off and can tell you that it's changed my life. I was self-conscious when I got them but it was all in my head. My co-workers didn't care or notice. Everyone you talk to knows you're doing something great for yourself. You'll get the odd person that points out that you have braces and wants to talk to you about their stories. I agree with choosing an ortho that you are comfortable with. Mine is incredible and I am so, so grateful to her for her compassion and kindness. Best of luck with your journey! :)

Thank you so much! It must feel amazing to have them off and I'm envious! did you find your facial structure change as well? Many have said with the Damon system you will also experience some (positive) facial changes :)

cdnbracegirl

#4 Post by cdnbracegirl »

aspiromusings wrote: Thank you so much! It must feel amazing to have them off and I'm envious! did you find your facial structure change as well? Many have said with the Damon system you will also experience some (positive) facial changes :)
I don't think my facial structure changed. My lips protruded more than usual with the brackets but that was it. I think I look the same as before except I'm more willing to show my teeth now.

tammyd2

#5 Post by tammyd2 »

Your story sounds super similar to mine :)

I also prepared a lot before I got braced, my "kit" was stocked up well.

I was also quoted 24 months about, but I'm way ahead of schedule. I've been braced for 3 and a half months and my teeth went from pointing in each and every direction to being straight. I have to credit the aqua glosser I use, both my ortho and dentist have been surprised. It really massages the gums which stimulates blood flow and gets these babies moving. Check our the waterpik... I have brushed and flossed with oral-b super floss (stock up on that also), and then used my water flosses and there's always food that comes out, it's really cool.

Stock up on wax, you might not need it but I go through days where I use it constantly. Haven't used it in a few weeks but I always keep some handy.

Pack yourself a couple of dental kits, for your handbag, car, etc. I've left mine at home a few times and luckily always have one in my desk at work just in case.

Eat as much hard food as you can now, there's no way I can eat nuts or anything I have to bite into. I'm craving a peanut brittle so badly. Enjoy those foods. Your going to loathe soups and soft foods hehe! I only eat the soft foods the days after I get braced as my teeth throb, other than that. Eat pretty much what I want.

If your braces make use of elastics/ligatures, which I think they don't, but take caution as food is limited, staining is crazy.

Hmmm, what else.....

Schedule cleans with your dentist, I really struggled and had quite a bad build up no on my bottom front teeth (she got that off and they are so sparkly now). Mine were also severely overcrowded at the bottom and wore down badly. Now that they've straightened, I have odd shaped teeth.. They'll need to be capped once the braces come off.

Enjoy your time in them, and look forward to your ortho check ups, they mean your one step closer.

And lastly, document it all, take a billion pictures, monitor your movement. And you'll be amazed at the transformation. My boyfriend thinks I'm crazy but I am constantly doing comparisons and you know, it really motivates me and makes me happy to see the changes.

I wish you a fast and amazing braces journey!!!! :-*
30 year old from Cape Town, South Africa.
Read my story: http://myreason2smile.wordpress.com

aspiromusings

#6 Post by aspiromusings »

tammyd2 wrote:Your story sounds super similar to mine :)

I also prepared a lot before I got braced, my "kit" was stocked up well.

I was also quoted 24 months about, but I'm way ahead of schedule. I've been braced for 3 and a half months and my teeth went from pointing in each and every direction to being straight. I have to credit the aqua glosser I use, both my ortho and dentist have been surprised. It really massages the gums which stimulates blood flow and gets these babies moving. Check our the waterpik... I have brushed and flossed with oral-b super floss (stock up on that also), and then used my water flosses and there's always food that comes out, it's really cool.

Stock up on wax, you might not need it but I go through days where I use it constantly. Haven't used it in a few weeks but I always keep some handy.

Pack yourself a couple of dental kits, for your handbag, car, etc. I've left mine at home a few times and luckily always have one in my desk at work just in case.

Eat as much hard food as you can now, there's no way I can eat nuts or anything I have to bite into. I'm craving a peanut brittle so badly. Enjoy those foods. Your going to loathe soups and soft foods hehe! I only eat the soft foods the days after I get braced as my teeth throb, other than that. Eat pretty much what I want.

If your braces make use of elastics/ligatures, which I think they don't, but take caution as food is limited, staining is crazy.

Hmmm, what else.....

Schedule cleans with your dentist, I really struggled and had quite a bad build up no on my bottom front teeth (she got that off and they are so sparkly now). Mine were also severely overcrowded at the bottom and wore down badly. Now that they've straightened, I have odd shaped teeth.. They'll need to be capped once the braces come off.

Enjoy your time in them, and look forward to your ortho check ups, they mean your one step closer.

And lastly, document it all, take a billion pictures, monitor your movement. And you'll be amazed at the transformation. My boyfriend thinks I'm crazy but I am constantly doing comparisons and you know, it really motivates me and makes me happy to see the changes.

I wish you a fast and amazing braces journey!!!! :-*
Hey tammyd2,

Thank you so much for your kind words and support, I'm sure I'm gonna be needing more of your advise in months to come :D

I hope that my situation is like yours too where the progress happens a lot faster than expected, I saw some amazing results from adults in their 30s who just had damons for 1 yr to 1.5 years.. here's hoping.. that said emotionally I think I'm prepared to have them in for longer if need be as this whole braces thing has been a long long time coming and I just wanna make sure I do it right at the first go lol

I will be buying a waterpik and also another electric toothbrush to put in my office in preparation

Yes also eating like crazy, am a huge foodie and am (from reading this forum) expecting a lot of pain and discomfort for the first little while so just want to make sure I eat like a lord before then

Damon clears have no ligatures holding them so apparently that means no staining, I'm still gonna be super careful and drink everything through a straw to be sure

I am also looking forward to takign a million pictures and have lately begun my fascination of staring at them in the mirror, will take some befores for sure and post so you can see my vampire teeth

Can't wait! ps: just checked out your blog, your teeth have made remarkable progress! wow and well done =)

carzfrm60s

#7 Post by carzfrm60s »

I hope your braces journey goes well. Time seems to go by pretty quick, after the first week or so. I went all metal braces.
I figured at my age it really didn't matter that much. A lot of people either don't notice or don't say anything, either way that's okay.

aspiromusings

#8 Post by aspiromusings »

carzfrm60s wrote:I hope your braces journey goes well. Time seems to go by pretty quick, after the first week or so. I went all metal braces.
I figured at my age it really didn't matter that much. A lot of people either don't notice or don't say anything, either way that's okay.
Thanks! I am still feeling quite excited about the whole thing and can't wait, how has braces been for you so far?

aspiromusings

#9 Post by aspiromusings »

Last weekend before braces get put in!

I am eating as much chips, crunchy biscuits and various other items that I know are no go-es after them braces go in

will update with more before after shots after Friday

Wish me luck guys! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :-*

aspiromusings

#10 Post by aspiromusings »

Braces are going in this Friday!! getting only the top ones done

I was wondering, does anybody have a checklist of things to prepare/have before the bracing session?

Leeshlund

#11 Post by Leeshlund »

Take some ibuprofen before your appt!!! It will help with your inflammation and the pain that you'll feel after there on!!!! Good luck oh and eat a steak cause you won't for a long time :-*

orchid

#12 Post by orchid »

If you haven't already, maybe time to invest in a Waterpik and some mouthwash :)

aspiromusings

#13 Post by aspiromusings »

Leeshlund wrote:Take some ibuprofen before your appt!!! It will help with your inflammation and the pain that you'll feel after there on!!!! Good luck oh and eat a steak cause you won't for a long time :-*
Thanks! Gonna try to get my hands on some tylenol tonight

Tonight is my pigout night, gonna eat like the world's ending tmrw!

aspiromusings

#14 Post by aspiromusings »

orchid wrote:If you haven't already, maybe time to invest in a Waterpik and some mouthwash :)
Thanks for the heads up!

Getting a waterpik tmrw before my appointment as well as a lot of those threaders and flossers

Gonna get another electric toothbrush for the office

Im just getting so excited that its finally happening lol

aspiromusings

I did IT!

#15 Post by aspiromusings »

So I got my top braces in yesterday, had second thoughts at the ortho's office, kinda too late by then though lol

The whole process took about an hour or so including X-rays, mould taking and didn't hurt at all, as advised by most members on this forum I took 2x tylenol beforehand just in case

The braces felt a bit tight when she finally closed all the "doors" of my Damon Clear 3s but aside from that no real pain, she did warn me that I may feel some serious pain after 6-8 hours but so far as I'm typing this the morning after I am still not feeling any particular pain

The teeth are a bit sensitive and shakey which makes chewing kinda impossible, also I can't really purse my lips together however I feel perfectly fine otherwise

Eating yesterday was interesting but not painful, since I couldn't chew I managed some chicken porridge and mashed up fish fillet, my eating approach looked a bit like this

Image[/url]

My meals for today:

Breakfast - protein shake with oats, chia seeds, ground flax and a banana

Lunch - shredded chicken breasts cooked in chicken broth + mashed sweet potato (baby food!)

Snacks - boiled eggs

Dinner - shredded dory fish cooked in fish broth + mashed broccoli

I got myself a water flosser and sonicare toothbrush - the water flosser has been a lifesaver since I still haven't for the life of me worked out how to floss my back teeth, question, is this routine enough?

Morning: Sonicare brush and Mouthwash rinse

After breakfast: Water pik, brush, mouthwash rinse

After snacks/other meals: Water pik, brush, mouthwash rinse

Night: Floss, Waterpik, , brush then Mouthwash Rinse

I'm paranoid that this isn't enough... help!

Meanwhile here are some pics, I think the canines are moving already! (or maybe I'm being too hopeful)

Before brace day

Image[/url]
Image[/url]

Day 1 of top braces

Image[/url]

Image[/url]