Carriere, Lingual Arch, Ceramic Braces at 58

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KayKay

Re: Carriere, Lingual Arch, Ceramic Braces at 58

#91 Post by KayKay »

Thanks!

Today I went for my retainer pick up and more polishing and shaping on the front teeth that are slightly nicked. They are looking even better today.

The retainer - argh. I have a sensitive gag reflex - and putting it in made me gag - and then it was removed and sent for adjustment - cutting down much of the plastic for the top of the mouth (but keeping just enough to keep the wire together) and its better but still - I'm worried. Can I adjust?

Also - my second front tooth that was turned sideways (the main reason for the brace journey to begin with) is already nudging slightly - so orthodontist ordered a clear cover with a set-back to apply pressure - and to cut down on my gagginess. So I go in 2 weeks for retainer check and to pick up my clear cover (he said it was a retainer like invisalign) to use instead. I will wear the invisilign at night and whenever I want - to keep that tooth from rotating back to the spot it apparently likes.

Anyone else struggle with the retainer gag?
Looking forward to the new smile,
KayKay

Bracesat57

#92 Post by Bracesat57 »

Congratulations! Your teeth look fantastic!

Sorry to hear that you had such a hard time with the removal of the brackets. At least that part is over with. Now on to retainer world. My teeth felt weird for many weeks. I could not eat normal until just recently. I was surprised at that.

My first top retainer was the Hawley retainer. It was awful. It never stayed in place. It kept popping out. Also, my lower canine slammed into it and it really hurt. Now I just have the clear essix retainers for top and bottom. I am also very worried about my front left tooth rotating back to its original spot which was my main reason for getting braces. My orthodontist doesn't want to see me for one year for a retainer check up and I think that is too too long. I plan on calling them around 6 months and just asking for a check up.

By the way, Have people noticed that your braces came off?

Braces installed October 2, 2014
Braces removed May 17, 2016

KayKay

#93 Post by KayKay »

Unless I've brought the braces removal to their attention, very few noticed it on their own. A few friends knew I was counting the day and have oohed and awed with me - very kind friends - but otherwise, I just go on with my life and they don't notice.

I've actually slept now 3 nights with the Hawley retainer - and can now see I might be able to do this. There is hope although its an adjustment and apparently I don't adjust/change easily in my age. :oops:

But I am looking forward to getting the Essix which I will wear more often during the day while my tooth is pushed back into place.....I think he can see that the braces didn't quite get that tooth into its best spot for long term which is why the essix has a set-back in it for that tooth....Time will tell how that goes!
KayKay

KayKay

#94 Post by KayKay »

I have adjusted to the Hawley retainer - just in time to pick up my Essix today - with a bit of a set back to apply extra pressure on my wayward second upper tooth that seems to prefer to be turned sideways. Its not that its turning now, the tooth seems to be shaped slightly different and seems that it could be aligned better. So, the essix was ordered with the set back to help keep that tooth in place and perhaps fix it that last little bit.

I came home from the orthodontist wearing the Essix. It is OK but trying to get it out was a challenge. It seems to be suctioned to my upper teeth and I couldn't break the "suction" to pull it loose. Well, I did it eventually but is is not as easy as taking out the Hawley.

They both require that I not think about the smooth plastic against my back upper teeth - which causes me to gag.

He wants me to wear the Essix as frequently as I can this first few weeks - which is different than the Hawley. I only had to wear it at night. Once this last tooth is nudged over slightly, he thinks a new Hawley will be needed and I can switch between them.

Anyone else feel "suctioned" to their Essix? I see how I manage to do that - its when I'm swallowing saliva or just breathing seems to do it. :crazy:
KayKay