Carriere, Lingual Arch, Ceramic Braces at 58

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

KayKay

Re: Carriere, Lingual Arch, Ceramic Braces at 58

#61 Post by KayKay »

Thanks so much! Yes, I've been taking photos regularly. If someone were to find my cell phone, they would wonder "what in the world...??" when they see all the selfies of the teeth. I can go back and see the early photos and I'm so surprised at the progress!

Today, I got 4 extra bands on my back molars. It was quite a challenge to the tech to get them all banded. Those molars are not very "tall" and so finding a band to fit snug but not too tall takes some skill! Then, a new archwire was put in place but backed down in strength to get used to the new bands and movement needed in those back molars - aligning them with the archwire. I'll go back into stainless arch wire - next month I think!

Add to that, my orthodontist looked at the "gap" and said "Awesome!" out loud! I was right - the gap is closing and it won't be long before it is gone completely. To work further on that last bit of gap where the broken/then extracted tooth used to be, my teeth on top have been chained to hold them in place while the teeth behind the gap are pulled forward.

Elastics just at night for now.

I go back in 4 weeks.

I'm praying that on my 1 year anniversary in January - he will be able to give me an "exit" date. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Looking forward to the new smile,
KayKay

newbite

#62 Post by newbite »

Your teeth look awesome!! So is closing that gap the last major thing you need?
•Braces placed August 14, 2014
•Deband November 11, 2015
•Permanent retainer top and bottom
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 51#p455351

KayKay

#63 Post by KayKay »

Yes - finishing the closing gap is the last thing. It involves bringing my top left back molar forward. (Not sure you knew my story - I had extra bicuspid so with the extra teeth my very back top left molar was way way way way back there, a corner hidden in the jaw/gum. So with the broken bicuspid - its extraction and the gap and the closing of the gap, that tooth needs to be brought forward to line up as the rest close. It means keeping the rest of my teeth in their place while those 2 molars are brought forward to close the last of the gap.

That and lining up those 4 molars in back with my arch wire - now possible with those 4 being banded. In the rest of the shaping process, those 4 now appear to be in their own orbit.

Last night was awful. I'm hurting pretty badly. Between the power chain and the bands and pulling those teeth forward, the last time I ached this badly - pain waking me up at night - was on my first night in braces. Back to soup!
KayKay

KayKay

#64 Post by KayKay »

5 days since power chaining and banded back molars. The pain isn't so bad - still can't chew without pain but chewing isn't something that has been easy for me since I started this process.

My challenge has been adjusting - again - to having something foreign rubbing up against my cheeks. I'm having to apply wax to each of the new bands - especially on the top. Ouch. In fact, if I don't have wax on those back upper band brackets, I can't even talk because they are so poke-y. At this point I dread brushing my teeth becuase it means I have to remove the wax and shift my jaw.

But today is better than yesterday. And yesterday is better than the day before.

One day closer....
KayKay

KayKay

#65 Post by KayKay »

Updating - feeling much better although I'm having to use wax continually on all 4 back molar band/brackets. I'm noticing movement based on what my tongue can feel because I can't get a mirror in the top, back spot in my mouth to see the changes.

There is movement in those molars, moving towards the front, closing the gap. In fact I've created a slight gap between the back and next to back molars as they move forward.

Wish I could speed this up..... Next appointment in 2.5 weeks. At that point - I expect to go back in stainless finishing wires.
KayKay

Bracesat57

#66 Post by Bracesat57 »

Glad you are feeling better. It all takes time. What is your estimates time in braces?

Braces installed October 2, 2014
Braces removed May 17, 2016

KayKay

#67 Post by KayKay »

Originally it was an 18 month plan including the 4-6 months in the carriere' before braces. But with the extra problems along the way, extracted tooth that wasn't in the plan and now the gap closing - He told me that the timeline is changed. I think he's been waiting to see how long to move the teeth to close the gap and get my bit in alightment. I'm hoping that by my year anniversary, he will have an idea of timeline.

I'm hoping by next summer to be free.
KayKay

KayKay

#68 Post by KayKay »

Today....TODAY....was my latest appointment and wire change. More power chain. A few adjustments and super exciting news! The gap is about closed and now, as the rest of the upper left back teeth are moved into place, my time is shortened. :)

He has a plan for next month's appointment (January) AND at the following appointment (February), he plans to begin the bite reversal as I move (again) into my finishing wires. He expects me to be out of my braces this summer. :)

This was unexpected good news - as I was thinking he wouldn't proclaim until my year anniversary - next month - because of my set-back of my broken tooth last February and my root canal this last summer.

So - I'm only 3-4 months behind my original plan in spite of the set-backs.

I'm rejoicing! :jump:
KayKay

KayKay

#69 Post by KayKay »

Today - a day later and my upper left teeth are sore - Taking ibuprofen - and I already have a pokey wire in the back. I have some wax wadded up back there - and will try to hang on until Thursday. Then I'll head over and get it snipped. Its evidence, dear Sherlock or Watson, that the teeth are moving. Closing that gap the rest of the way.... :tingrin:
KayKay

KayKay

#70 Post by KayKay »

Time for an update - as my next appointment is still 4 weeks away.

During the last 4 weeks - my teeth have been doing some more slight moving into place. They are looking better and better and more importantly - FEEL better and better. My bite has felt off all this time and it now is feeling like it is going to be good - after many months of wondering if my bite would ever align.

My bottom wire is finishing wire while my upper wire is almost ready. My back last molars were out of alignment meaning that they had to get bands and be attached to the arch wire, moving me a few months ago from finishing wire to a lesser wire to move those molars.

They have been moving these past 4 weeks and are instrumental in my bite now feeling soooo much better!

In less than 2 weeks I get spacers back an upper molar that had to have a root canal so the band was removed. Its now time - to get the band back on - and my finishing wires put back on my top. By early in March - I'll be finally - and again - on the last lap.

I've had multiple set backs:

A carriere' to pull one side back
a broken tooth from a fall in my driveway resulting in extraction and then...
Bands to pull my teeth together, moving the same teeth - back the other direction to fill the gap (took 9 months!)
Meanwhile - a root canal on the other side of my mouth and removal of band
4 bands added to my back molars because those teeth decided not to stay in alignment with my arch wire
the band added to the crown/root canal tooth and reattached to arch wire

And now, after 1 year in braces (and additional 4 months prior in carriere') I see a light at the end of the tunnel. My teeth look good! My teeth are feeling so much better as they come into alignment. :)

Yippee!
KayKay

KayKay

#71 Post by KayKay »

I got my upper spacers put back yesterday - around my root canal/crowned tooth - in order to band that tooth and get it back in line with the rest of my teeth as we finish up. Its sore.

A part of me knows this is regular spacer pain. The skeptical me wonders if the pain and discomfort I'm feeling is because it is a crowned tooth with a root canal in July and I've aggravated it again. I'm going to trust its normal pain - atleast for a few days. Hopefully by next week the pain will be gone.

I'm not sure I've reported - but the back bands and pokey wires were annoying me - and then at the last appointments, the ortho and techs have taken extra care to use the tool to grind down the back of the wire - and it has helped me SOOO much! I don't have to apply wax way back there. In fact, except at night across the front bottom teeth, I haven't needed wire. I put wax across my front bottom teeth because at night my mouth is so dry and I sleep with my mouth closed. Without wax, my inner bottom lip gets all cut up from the biggish brackets.

Other reports I can't remember if I mentioned: Last appointment - ortho began to shape my chipped bottom teeth - "A little at a time," he said....to keep my teeth from being hyper sensitive as he fixes those chips. He will continue so shape and fix my chips.

In less than 2 weeks I will get the band on that tooth AND my big appointment begins.

My last X-rays. Bending wires to finalize the placements and reverse the bite, removal of the ramps. The last of the tweaks to get everything where it is supposed to be.
KayKay

oldfart

#72 Post by oldfart »

If you have a root canal, the tooth has no nerves to feel pain. At least that is my understanding.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

KayKay

#73 Post by KayKay »

Spacers out. Band re-fitted and glued on the root canal/crowned upper right #3 (to a dentist)

Xrays - showed everything looks good except the roots on a front, lower tooth that isn't quite moving into place because of crowding. A bit of a concern crossed my ortho's face.

On the bottom: Stainless - A reverse bend in the wire to bring up my back molars. A bend in another spot to allow more room for my front lower teeth that don't quite have enough space. Tie wires across ALL lower teeth and a power chain.

On the top: Stainless - Back bands converted from tubes to be a different kind of "door" for the wire. Wire bent on back left to torque the one particular tooth back towards its spot since it had rotated and was moving sideways. Tie wires on most teeth and then power chains.

Bite ramps left in place because of the torque wired on top, to protect the brackets. Sounds like the bite ramps come off next time - if not all the way, most of the way.

Ibuprofen - as I've very sore. I continue to be relieved of elastics. I'll be back in them beginning next appointment: in 8 weeks for an evaluation of the last adjustments. I was promised I'd be out of braces by early August. (My 60th birthday!) Fingers crossed, I hope so!
KayKay

voceans

#74 Post by voceans »

That will be a great birthday present!

KayKay

#75 Post by KayKay »

Update: I had an adjustment and evaluation appointment. A lot of time was spent with the orthodontist as he checked over everything very carefully.

Today, my stainless wires were adjusted slightly with a reverse bend as he is working on shifting my lower front teeth slightly, to give them a bit of space. They are "this much" off. Almost there!

Today, my bite ramps were taken down slightly.

Today, an adjustment was made to remove one last tiny triangle next to the tooth that started all of this - my twisted canine - that is now aligned nicely.

Today, I was put back in elastics - Classic 2 (I think that is what it is called). I've been out of elastics for about 3-4 months - full time wearing.

I have one last appointment in early June for an adjustment, some shaping and checking that all is indeed ready....(6 weeks to go for that one) !

and then....and THEN....AND THEN....!!! they made an appointment for my de-bracing 6 weeks beyond that and my retainer pick up appointment a few days later.

I'll be done before my 60th birthday! Oh happy day! :jump:
KayKay