23 y.o. university teacher with braces

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Rebachi

23 y.o. university teacher with braces

#1 Post by Rebachi »

I'm soon to be donned with train tracks, the process has finally started!

I haven't been on lately but I went from deciding between train tracks and invisalign, and between a cosmetic dentist and an orthodontist. I decided to go with an orthodontist but it was difficult finding one near where I live. Found one 45 minutes away (which may not seem like much to people living in the US but that's quite a lot for me in the UK).

I have had my teeth moulded and put into an articulator last week. Originally my ortho said I'd need my first premolars removed and the three wisdom teeth that have come through (have an impacted one that I've been told to leave alone for now as it's not causing me any trouble). However after the articulator, I've been told that I need my second premolars removed instead and I'm quite happy about this as it means I won't be so gappy in front of my students as they are further back in my mouth.

Appointment soon to get an update on my wisdom teeth and then I'll be on my way to getting my brace on! Yay! Never thought I'd get to this point.

Rapidjohann

Re: 23 y.o. university teacher with braces

#2 Post by Rapidjohann »

Goodluck!

Rebachi

#3 Post by Rebachi »

Thanks Rapidjohann :)

I'm feeling a little nervous now. I have the date for having the top arch put on 17th December. The bottom arch will go on after 6 months. It's a bit daunting, the idea of having two perfectly healthy teeth removed (second maxillary molars) and then teaching with a brace for 18 months!

Luckily my wisdom teeth can be left alone for now :HugeGrin:

mapleleafman888

#4 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Hey I can understand your concern but there's no need to be nervous, braces are common and people really don't say anything about them. I'm 26 y/o guy personal trainer so I work and teach/talk in close proximity to a lot of people and no one has ever said anything. Just rock them!
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

NeilH

#5 Post by NeilH »

Hello from another UK based brace wearer. Good luck with your appointment in December, I'm sure you will get on just fine. I went for traditional metal brackets top and bottom and have a job that involves a great deal of interaction with people as well as standing in front of large groups giving presentations and have had no issues whatsoever. In the first week my mouth was really dry but guess you will be enjoying the Christmas holidays for the first few weeks so this won't be an issue. Over the last 18 months I have some really great conversations about my braces and I can honestly say absolutely no negative reaction from anyone. Good luck.

Rebachi

#6 Post by Rebachi »

Thanks NeilH, that's very reassuring! I know a few people who have the metal ones, and they don't look bad at all on them. It's just trying to visualise them on myself, which I'm not very good at.

Namaste

#7 Post by Namaste »

Hello there from the uk!

I know your gonna be fine. :thumbsup: Your going to need the wax tho. I figured this because I find the more I talk the more the braces rub up against my cheeks and lips. The wax is a life saver.
Good luck,

newbite

#8 Post by newbite »

Hi there! Just wanted to give my input as a grad student teaching undergrads for the first time not even two weeks after getting braces in August. At first I thought I was INSANE for scheduling it that way but it really was fine. The first ten days of braces were fairly rough and I'm glad I didn't have to talk a lot then. Even after that the inside of your lips/cheeks WILL probably hurt if you have to talk a lot and your mouth will probably eventually get dry (extremely dry, possibly, but hopefully it will go away eventually). None of my students said anything about my braces (even the one girl who has braces herself) and it hasn't been an issue at all in that sense. The only way it's an issue is sometimes it's such a bother to make the effort to talk, especially if you have to speak especially loudly and enunciate especially clearly. Then it's very tiring. That actually hasn't gotten any easier for me, it probably doesn't help that my mouth is still dry a lot of the time. So, lots of water and breath mints! Maybe try a spray , too. I tried a dry mouth rinse and it didn't seem to help but a spray might be better. Good luck!! And remember, teaching is temporary, but straight teeth are forever! Or something like that :)
•Braces placed August 14, 2014
•Deband November 11, 2015
•Permanent retainer top and bottom
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 51#p455351

maeby

#9 Post by maeby »

I understand where you're coming from! I had to teach right after I first had my braces put on and I worried about it so much. There were some difficult times, but it hasn't been dreadful by any means. I forget I have them most of the time.

I'm curious to hear more about having your teeth removed. I've been told I may have to have four of mine removed (two and a half years into treatment) and I'm a bit anxious about it.

I'm sure all will go wonderfully for you! Best of luck!
Read My Braces Story: "Maeby Getting Braces"

Top Arch Braced: April 18, 2012
Bottom Arch: October 9, 2012

Rebachi

#10 Post by Rebachi »

I'm so glad there are other people in the same situation. You've really helped to ease some of the anxiety I'm having right now.

Maeby, that's quite intense! Four is quite a lot but hopefully they're doing it for a good reason (hopefully you won't need it at all!). I am having my teeth removed on Friday next week and I'm just like, take out the teeth with my fillings in, but they have to be specific ones unfortunately. Healthy teeth. It's sort of daunting really. My ortho wanted to take some out from the bottom arch but they're less crowded and he said that he could probably just do IPR instead.

Newbite, that's very interesting to know, thank you! I'm glad that it doesn't affect it and luckily I'm getting my brace the day term ends for Christmas so I'm hoping I will have practiced speaking enough before everyone returns in January. My mum would argue that I don't speak properly now, so perhaps it will make me mumble less if I have to think about the way that I am speaking.

I am definitely going to invest in some wax!

Rebachi

#11 Post by Rebachi »

Well today was the day of the extractions.

Ouch! :GapToothed:

I have never experienced anything like that in my life. The anaesthetic didn't work initially so I needed to have more half way through having my tooth pulled out and then the dentist couldn't extract it. He said I had strong roots and I could feel him twisting and pulling and something was crunching in my head. He was out of breath and had to keep on stopping to have a break.

I'm just glad it's over now and I'm crossing all of my fingers and toes and following all of the aftercare instructions so I hopefully avoid dry socket.

Only 4 days until I get my brace. I haven't actually allowed myself to think about it until now. 4 days!?

I also never realised I could produce so much saliva. Yuck!

Rebachi

#12 Post by Rebachi »

The braces are on! The top arch anyway (for 6 months before the bottom on is put on too). My ortho opted to use radiance brackets and when I get the lower arch on, it will be metal.

I'm actually really surprised at how good they look. I was worried that it would be really noticeable but it's really not and I like the option of being able to add coloured elastics later on if I'm feeling braver.

I am feeling a bit of pain but I've been having issues with my extraction sites anyway and my ortho said the wire quite tight. He also clipped the end when I said it was sticking into my cheek but its made it quite sharp so I'm struggling to try and put dental wax that far back.

Here's a pic anyway :) I'm leaving to go home for two weeks so fingers crossed I don't break it while I'm gone!

NeilH

#13 Post by NeilH »

Congratulations on getting started. They look great and barely noticeable. It takes a few days to get used to having braces but you will be surprised how quickly you start seeing movement. Most orthodontists are fine with you going back to have pokey wires clipped (I'm back in a couple of days for just that) so if you find them sore, just let them know. Have a lovely Christmas break.

Dougsey

#14 Post by Dougsey »

Awesome Rebachi! Like Neil said, you can hardly see them.

I think you'll be amazed how things look in 3 months. :D
Click HERE for my journal

Rebachi

#15 Post by Rebachi »

I am already seeing results! I wasn't sure how fast I would notice but I SWEAR I see some movement happening. I certainly feel it anyway.

And thanks so much to you both, I have been told that people can't even see them when I talk as well. My speech hasn't altered much at all either although I think it has very slightly. We shall see what it is like when the bottom arch goes on!

I'm still having issues with the extraction sites, especially at meal times. Once these have healed over I will be happy.