30 year old brace face

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

tammyd2

30 year old brace face

#1 Post by tammyd2 »

Hi everyone

I've just had my braces fitted this week, and boy oh boy has it been an experience...
Please follow my blog, any advice, tips would be great!

http://myreason2smile.wordpress.com/

Ridingboots

Re: 30 year old brace face

#2 Post by Ridingboots »

Loved your blog and hope the pain has lessened :mrgreen: I got my teeth cleaned today ready for braces next Thursday so you will have to give me update on how your water flosser went

I am also in it for the long haul with a 2 year Journey of pain but who would have thought pain can be such a satisfying thing lol

Schedule
Braces Installed 23 Oct 2014
Adjustment - 18 Dec 14, 19 Feb 15, 7 Apr
5 Mar 15 Palate installed
Somewhere in the Future- Double Jaw Surgery

tammyd2

#3 Post by tammyd2 »

[quote="Ridingboots"]Loved your blog and hope the pain has lessened :mrgreen: I got my teeth cleaned today ready for braces next Thursday so you will have to give me update on how your water flosser went

I am also in it for the long haul with a 2 year Journey of pain but who would have thought pain can be such a satisfying thing lol[/quote]

- it gets more manageable day by day (we'll be going through this together so let me know how yours goes!). I bought so much floss but haven't been able to use it yet, my teeth are unbearably tight and sensitive. The water flosser has honestly been such a great buy but I suggest you start practicing to use it now, that little jet feels like a laser! Hehe
Lets hope our teeth move so quickly and beutifully that we do t need the full 2 years :mrgreen:
Have you started a blog yet? I'd love to follow stories, everyone's experience is different

newbite

#4 Post by newbite »

Welcome and congrats on the braces! I checked out your blog, I wanted to write a blog but ive just been posting here and on realself. I was shocked to read you are using flouride free toothpaste! Have you always used fluoride free? I used it for about a year and regret it to this day-- most of my fillings are from that one year including one that will eventually need to be a crown. I'm actually using prescription toothpaste now for sensitive teeth and it has a lot of fluoride in it. My orthodontist said he wishes all of his patients would use it. I'm really curious to know if not using fluoride works out for you.

Good luck! The pain will dwindle and soon you will start to see movement! Woohoo!
•Braces placed August 14, 2014
•Deband November 11, 2015
•Permanent retainer top and bottom
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 51#p455351

tammyd2

#5 Post by tammyd2 »

newbite wrote:Welcome and congrats on the braces! I checked out your blog, I wanted to write a blog but ive just been posting here and on realself. I was shocked to read you are using flouride free toothpaste! Have you always used fluoride free? I used it for about a year and regret it to this day-- most of my fillings are from that one year including one that will eventually need to be a crown. I'm actually using prescription toothpaste now for sensitive teeth and it has a lot of fluoride in it. My orthodontist said he wishes all of his patients would use it. I'm really curious to know if not using fluoride works out for you.

Good luck! The pain will dwindle and soon you will start to see movement! Woohoo!

Xxxxx

Hi, thanks for the reply!
I did a bit of research into fluoride, yes it has it's benefits but the dangers far out weigh those...

Have a look: http://www.cheeseslave.com/top-10-dangers-of-fluoride/

http://www.nyrnaturalnews.com/article/q ... -fluoride/

It's a personal choice also, I have made a conscious decision to move over to cruelty free and natural products (opened my eyes recently to the amount of companies that test on animals and I was horrified). I have been using fluoride free toothpaste for a couple of months and my teeth look and feel nice and clean. Mouth wash is also something you should look into, I've swapped to a tea tree mouth wash, it doesn't taste as pleasant but it's alcohol free, no sugar or colourants. And it works well.

Alcohol in mouth washs is no good in my opinion. I go for dental cleans every 6 months before braces, and now every 3 months (just because they are crooked doesn't mean they aren't clean). It's hard for me to floss certain teeth, and some teeth have been worn down like my front bottom ones.
30 year old from Cape Town, South Africa.
Read my story: http://myreason2smile.wordpress.com

plugnickel69

#6 Post by plugnickel69 »

You can't believe everything you read on the web. I'm well into my sixties, grew up on non-fluoridated artesian well water. Kept my teeth clean. Most people I knew from those days had many cavities. I still drink non-fluoridated well water (not by choice), but have been using fluoride toothpaste for a long, long time. Over the last 30 or so years my dentist has also given my wife and me fluoride treatments during our six-month check-ups. My ortho told me to use a fluoride rinse every night during my 18 months in braces. No cavities, no white spots, no problems. Wish I had fluoride available to me while I was growing up.

My wife and I haven't had a cavity in decades. My three children, all in their thirties, haven't had any problems with cavities.

The U.S. Center for Disease Control has recognized water fluoridation as one of 10 great public health achievements of the 20th century, ahead of the recognition that tobacco is a carcinogen. It is also universally known that fluoride can be poisonous if the amounts are too great.

You certainly have the right to not use fluoride toothpaste, and I wish you well ... and hope you are getting sufficient fluoride from other sources. :D

tammyd2

#7 Post by tammyd2 »

Thanks for the reply. Yeah I guess it's just a personal preference for me.
I try to go as natural and organic as I can. Each to their own :)

Check out oil pulling (with virgin coconut oil), I've yet to try that but I know people who do and the results they have are great.

Have a great weekend all! :)

Ridingboots

#8 Post by Ridingboots »

I am hoping to get my water flosser this week and before Thursday when I get my braces. I have not worked out yet where to do my blog so started my story here but will start my own blog / diary soon mainly for me but if it helps someone else that is good too.

As for fluoride for a couple of years I used non-fluoride tooth paste and had no issues but I have gone back to flouride paste as I am slack and also probably don't eat as well as I should and have horrible things like coke cola :P but at the ace of 40 I have only had a couple of fillings....hopefully it will stay that way

glad to hear the pain is getting less and look forward to hearing how you progress

Schedule

tammyd2

#9 Post by tammyd2 »

You won't go wrong buying the water flosser. It's my best buy!
I've had no issues since my last post, except in having to use lots of wax on my back teeth where the hooks are, they have made holes in my cheeks :(
Stock up on wax, rather have loads and not need. Good luck! Keep me updated :)

newbite

#10 Post by newbite »

I hear you about the wax! As my back teeth slowwwwwwly move the brackets/wire/hooks make a new hole in my cheek and the wire or hook or whatever it is keeps getting stuck *IN* my cheek! It does that for a few days and then it's usually time for a wire change and it goes away for awhile. It sounds more painful than it is, it does hurt but mostly in an annoying "I suddenly can't talk and have to get this wire out of my cheek" kind of way.
•Braces placed August 14, 2014
•Deband November 11, 2015
•Permanent retainer top and bottom
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 51#p455351

tammyd2

#11 Post by tammyd2 »

Oh my gosh that's exactly it!!! I might as well start hewing on candle sticks hehehe!!
I reached one week today, only 723 days until I hit the 2 year mark. Here's hoping they come off sooner :/

All of a sudden I'm noticing the wire Sticking out at the end of my back braces, haven't felt them before, don't know if that's supposed to be there... Surely I would have felt it already?

managing to bite down on my back teeth ever so gently, but still unable to bite into anything, I've tried...sends shock waves right up to my eye balls!

How you all feeling today??
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Ridingboots

#12 Post by Ridingboots »

Watching your teeth change is going to be Exciting :tingrin: I think it is great that we are all willing to share our teeth photos / stories even though they are often the thing we hate most

I hope the wire stops annoying you and keep up with the the wax. Maybe that is how the great saying from Karate Kid came from Wax on...Wax off ......

Have a great day

Schedule

tammyd2

#13 Post by tammyd2 »

Hehe yeah! I wouldn't show these pics to my friends...sounds bad but I just feel they wouldn't understand... It's such a crappy feeling being the one who never smiles in pictures. And I have the loudest laugh, yet am always overing my mouth. I can relate to you and others on this site. I feel comfortable sharing :)

I am Daniel son, I'm telling you, I have mastered the art of wax on, wax off! Lol!

plugnickel69

#14 Post by plugnickel69 »

[quote="All of a sudden I'm noticing the wire Sticking out at the end of my back braces, haven't felt them before, don't know if that's supposed to be there... Surely I would have felt it already?"quote]

If the wire sticking out is bothering you, clip it off with a nail clipper. This happens all the time at the beginning of treatment.

tammyd2

#15 Post by tammyd2 »

Don't suppose anyone can suggest which color elastic to have next. Mine are turning a yellowish color :/
Two bad habits I cannot part with...coffee and the occasional cigarette (I know, I know, don judge me lol).

I believe a grey colour should work best, I am not brave enough for a bright colour on the top row just yet.
I think i'll play around with the bottom row colour though :)