Braced at 52 with Innovation for overbite/overjet

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

pjade1

Re: Braced at 52 with Innovation for overbite/overjet

#46 Post by pjade1 »

I went in for an appointment today and finally, I have a debracing date! :-D My teeth are no longer hurting and finally where they should be. I go back on Feb 14th to get all the molar bands off and then 2 weeks after that on the 28th after those gaps close up from the bands, I get the rest of the brackets off and get fitted for my retainer. I can't tell you how excited I am. It's been 2-1/2 yrs in braces and I can finally see an end in sight. At least I get them off before I am 55 yrs old! I am glad I did it but it wasn't fun at all. I can't lie.
07/14/14 - 4 spacers put in
07/25/14 - braces top and bottom put in minus 2 molar bands that they couldn't fit
9/11/14 - 2 spacers put in between the bottom back molars
9/19/14 - last 2 bottom molar bands in and all hooked up, new wire, started elastics too
10/14/14 - new square wire change and thick elastics
04/24/17 - braces removed!!! :BigGrin:

pjade1

#47 Post by pjade1 »

Well, after two debonding dates cancelled, they won't give me any more dates. I have had issues with a canine hitting or another molar hitting hard. It seems like when one gets fixed it messes up another area. It goes back and forth from the canine hurting to not hurting. It may just take my dentist intervention. The last appt seemed to help but that was 4 days ago so I am hoping this adjustment sticks. I will be lucky if my braces come off before I am 55 now.
07/25/14 - braces top and bottom put in minus 2 molar bands that they couldn't fit
9/19/14 - last 2 bottom molar bands in and all hooked up, new wire, started elastics too

Prometheus

#48 Post by Prometheus »

Hi Pjade: Well, under the category of "misery loves company", at my last appointment I was told I'm halfway there, things are going slowly. My original sentence was 24-25 months. So now it looks like 48 months.... If that is accurate I'll be 62 when I get them off. I had/have a posterior crossbite and needed a lot of expansion, so deep down I knew it could be a long road. Still I feel it was better than doing nothing and it is definitely worth the effort. I wish you the best. -P
Lower braces on March 11, 2015, upper braces added July 14, 2015.
Damon, metal bottom / clear top.
Braces off March 26, 2018: Total time in braces: 3 years, 2 weeks and 1 day.
Hawley retainers top and bottom.

pjade1

#49 Post by pjade1 »

Prometheus wrote:Hi Pjade: Well, under the category of "misery loves company", at my last appointment I was told I'm halfway there, things are going slowly. My original sentence was 24-25 months. So now it looks like 48 months.... If that is accurate I'll be 62 when I get them off. I had/have a posterior crossbite and needed a lot of expansion, so deep down I knew it could be a long road. Still I feel it was better than doing nothing and it is definitely worth the effort. I wish you the best. -P
That is horrible. Wow, I can't imagine twice as long as they originally quoted you. I hope it is not that long for you.

On a good note, everything was good on my last appointment. They did remove my molar bands and told me to chew gum so the spaces close up. I now have an appointment to get my braces off on April 24th! :jump: One more week! :HugeGrin: I can't wait! My teeth cleaning appointment is May 2nd. I can't wait for that too.

SinkFullOfDinner

#50 Post by SinkFullOfDinner »

I now have an appointment to get my braces off on April 24th! :jump: One more week! :HugeGrin: I can't wait!
Finally!! After all of your recent postponements, it must have felt especially great to get the surprise news that they're coming off. You definitely earned that great smile with all of the extra time! Very happy for you!

pjade1

#51 Post by pjade1 »

You don't know how happy I am to get them off. I was thinking they would never come off. I am still getting used to this retainer business but it's getting better. I have the clear Essix retainers and they fit really snug. It feels fine wearing it but it is hard coming off like I am pulling on my teeth. My teeth are sore when I take it off but then I am fine. It is getting easier to take off now but it still tugs at my teeth. My ortho said it would get more flexible in a few days and should get easier. It isn't too hard to get back on and I don't really notice it much.

I have to wear it for all day, except when eating or drinking anything other than water, for the next 14 days and then 12 hours a day for 4 weeks. After that, I can wear them only when I am sleeping. I can't wait till I get to that point. I'll probably need another retainer when I get one of my front teeth fixed too. I think it will either be a crown or veneer. I will find out next week. I have a cleaning next week and I will see what my dentist says. It will feel so nice to finally get my teeth cleaned without braces. I am looking forward to that.

Here is what my teeth look like now!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.