Alex needs braces

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

AlexO890

Re: Alex needs braces

#31 Post by AlexO890 »

So an update on my consults...

Ortho A on Monday said I'd need full braces 14 to 17 months at $4800. No extractions. $1,000 extra for ceramics and it will take longer. She said I am a candidate for invisalign. I called today and she doesn't offer damon brackets, just the traditional metal ones. I felt the most comfortable with her.

Ortho B from today said I'd need full braces for 2 years at $5,700. He said I'd need four teeth extracted. He offers ceramic braces at $600 more and I can get them on top and bottom. He also offers damon brackets. He wasn't very nice and made me feel bad about my teeth, so I'm thinking he's out.

Ortho C, also from today, said I'd need full braces about 1.5 years and estimated the price around $5,000 to $6,000. Offers ceramic, and some sliding door brackets similar to Damons. He also offers invisalign and says I could get that. He was about 70, soft-spoken, and kinda awkward in conversation.

So there are my options.

chichi

#32 Post by chichi »

Because an ortho suggested extractions, I'd be nervous going with Invisalign. We haven't seen pictures of your teeth yet, but that made me think it might be a little too complicated for Invisalign. Did you ask about the results you'd get with that vs regular braces?

Otherwise, it's clearly going to be 1 or 3. You said you're most comfortable with 1, and, even if you pay the $1000 for ceramic, it's still cheaper than the others. 3 has other bracket options for you, which you were also interested in. Good luck with making that decision :)
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

Featheryy1221

#33 Post by Featheryy1221 »

It could also be that that 2nd ortho's an "old school" orthodontist and does extractions for the majority of cases. I'm sorry he made you feel badly about your teeth. :( I had a similar situation with an ortho that wanted to extract 4 teeth. The fact that you have two ortho's that don't want to extract teeth makes me think your teeth aren't as bad as that ortho was making it sound.
Sounds like you have two ortho's to pick from though. :) Only drawback I could see to the older ortho is that if he's old he may decide to retire and sell his practice.
Good luck with your decision! :)

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

AlexO890

#34 Post by AlexO890 »

So I've decided to go with ortho 1, and I'll be getting either metal braces or ceramic. My records appointment is Tuesday the 22nd. It looks like I'll be braced sometime in August.

pjade1

#35 Post by pjade1 »

I also went to three different consultations and I am glad I did. You have to go where you will feel comfortable and get the best care. I think you can kind of figure out which ones spend time examining you and give you the options so you can decide. I know I originally wanted Invisalign but I am not a candidate for them with my bite problems so I wanted Damon. One of the orthos offered Damon but I am not going with him. I am getting a similar self-ligating braces that are called Innovation. They have both ceramic and metal so I am doing ceramic uppers and metal lowers.

Now the waiting starts for you. I am still waiting but my wait is almost over.
07/14/14 - 4 spacers put in
07/25/14 - braces top and bottom put in minus 2 molar bands that they couldn't fit
9/11/14 - 2 spacers put in between the bottom back molars
9/19/14 - last 2 bottom molar bands in and all hooked up, new wire, started elastics too
10/14/14 - new square wire change and thick elastics
04/24/17 - braces removed!!! :BigGrin:

AlexO890

#36 Post by AlexO890 »

Okay, so here's an update...

I was originally supposed to get my records tomorrow, but I had to switch my schedule around and I went in today. It went okay. I wasn't too comfortable having people taking pictures of my teeth and sticking tools in my mouth, but I'll get used to it. Having molds made was gross.

I also got spacers put in today. I wasn't expecting that, but my ortho was ready and I figured I might as well get them today. My brace day is July 29th.

pjade1

#37 Post by pjade1 »

Wow, so you are getting braced earlier than you thought. Next week for you. I think you will be glad you got the spacers in now so they have time to work. I know mine seem to be working. I hear it makes it easier for them to do the molar bands, which means less or no pain.
07/25/14 - braces top and bottom put in minus 2 molar bands that they couldn't fit
9/19/14 - last 2 bottom molar bands in and all hooked up, new wire, started elastics too

chichi

#38 Post by chichi »

AlexO890 wrote:Okay, so here's an update...

I was originally supposed to get my records tomorrow, but I had to switch my schedule around and I went in today. It went okay. I wasn't too comfortable having people taking pictures of my teeth and sticking tools in my mouth, but I'll get used to it. Having molds made was gross.

I also got spacers put in today. I wasn't expecting that, but my ortho was ready and I figured I might as well get them today. My brace day is July 29th.
Well, having braces will definitely force you to get used to people messing with things in your mouth. I didn't enjoy having molds made either... I felt like I was going to gag. My ortho didn't offer a flavor, so it tasted like chalk. I hope you at least had a flavor

And congrats on getting your spacers! One step closer!
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

AlexO890

#39 Post by AlexO890 »

chichi wrote:Well, having braces will definitely force you to get used to people messing with things in your mouth. I didn't enjoy having molds made either... I felt like I was going to gag. My ortho didn't offer a flavor, so it tasted like chalk. I hope you at least had a flavor
They had watermelon flavor. It actually didn't taste too bad. I worried that it would taste bad like the fluoride they give you at the dentist.

SunshineRay

#40 Post by SunshineRay »

The molds made me gag too. Are you going with metal or ceramic? Sorry the dentist made you feel bad, Ive had that happen too.

AlexO890

#41 Post by AlexO890 »

SunshineRay wrote:The molds made me gag too. Are you going with metal or ceramic? Sorry the dentist made you feel bad, Ive had that happen too.
I think I'm going with metal. I need to figure out color choices.

AlexO890

#42 Post by AlexO890 »

Update... so spacers have been killing me today and yesterday. I want them out!

pjade1

#43 Post by pjade1 »

I'm sorry they are hurting. I guess I am lucky in that mine do not hurt but they are extremely annoying. I want to pick them out because they feel exactly like something hard is stuck between them. Another 1-1/2 days and they will be out, I can't wait. The good thing Alex is that the longer they are in, the easier bracing should be with the molar bands. Well, I hope so anyway.

AlexO890

#44 Post by AlexO890 »

pjade1 wrote:I'm sorry they are hurting. I guess I am lucky in that mine do not hurt but they are extremely annoying. I want to pick them out because they feel exactly like something hard is stuck between them. Another 1-1/2 days and they will be out, I can't wait. The good thing Alex is that the longer they are in, the easier bracing should be with the molar bands. Well, I hope so anyway.
Thanks Pjade! And good luck on your braces tomorrow. At this point I'm still dreading getting them on, but anything will be better than the spacers.

blahhh123

#45 Post by blahhh123 »

Getting them tomorrow like you! Good luck Alex! :tingrin: