Em-"brace"-ing metal braces!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

librarianlk

Em-"brace"-ing metal braces!

#1 Post by librarianlk »

Pardon the pun!
I'm 53, first time getting braces. I had my consultation today. I confirmed some things I already knew, and learned some new things too. Without this website I wouldn't have known what questions to ask.

The condyles of my jaw have some bone loss, which is thrusting my lower jaw forward and creating a slight underbite and contributes to my open bite. My tongue thrusting also contributed to my open bite, and I guess will always be an issue. (But I'm certainly not wearing tongue spurs!) I've also got a crossbite, and there are some big gaps in my teeth. When you put it all down in writing, it sounds awful, doesn't it?
So I'm embracing braces -- Metal! I had previously talked with an ortho that deals only in Invisalign, and I just don't think it will work for me. I am sure I'd wear them, but...after a few months, I'd probably start wearing them less than the required hours, and then taking them out if they're uncomfortable, and then I've blown it. I don't want to have the option of backing out.

I debated clear brackets on top, but...I realized (after looking in the mirror) that when I talk, my lower teeth show as much or even more than my top teeth. If I'm trying to disguise the fact that I'm wearing braces, clear brackets on top aren't going to help much. So if I'm going metal on the bottom, I'm going with metal uppers.

I was a little nervous before the consultation, but because I was prepared (thank you Archwired!) I got all my questions answered and now I just want to get started. In 22-24 months, I'll be done. What I'm also really excited about, is that once my teeth are straight, my regular dentist can put veneers on my four front teeth. My lateral incisors are undersized, which has always made my two front teeth look too big. And I have tetracycline stains on the front, and no bleaching or whitening can get rid of that. I've thought for years about getting veneers, but now I have a definite plan and the rest of my smile will look great (and my bite will work right).

I'm getting both uppers and lowers done on Monday January 13. Lucky me, the gaps in my teeth are so big, I don't need spacers! I am really happy about that. Can't wait for Monday, I'm really excited! Now the big question is, what color ligatures should I get???

Ellabelle

Re: Em-"brace"-ing metal braces!

#2 Post by Ellabelle »

Yay for you! I loooove my metal braces!! Oh, colors, I love colors too. I'm partial to purples, pinks, blues/teals, and greens. Have fun with it!!! Like anything life, it is what you make it, and I'm glad you share my positive attitude (and fondness for colors). :)

Good luck on the 13th, you'll do great. And keep us posted!

And congratulations!!! And welcome to the club!!

Fionisimma

#3 Post by Fionisimma »

Welcoming and em-"brace"ing you....!!!
This is a great site with awesome information and support.... :D
Ps I'm a week into braces (for the second time after having them as a kid) - 50 and finally embarking on an approx 18month journey to getting a healthy, functioning smile!

Matilda

#4 Post by Matilda »

Good luck on your journey!

SunshineRay

#5 Post by SunshineRay »

So positive! Welcome to the club!

librarianlk

#6 Post by librarianlk »

[quote="Ellabelle"]Yay for you! I loooove my metal braces!! Oh, colors, I love colors too. I'm partial to purples, pinks, blues/teals, and greens. Have fun with it!!! Like anything life, it is what you make it, and I'm glad you share my positive attitude (and fondness for colors). :)

Good luck on the 13th, you'll do great. And keep us posted!

And congratulations!!! And welcome to the club!![/quote]

I am already in love with my metal braces too! They look cool. I went with silver ligatures, it makes my mouth look extra bright and shiny.

amelie82

#7 Post by amelie82 »

Congrats on the braces! I keep reading new braced stories and getting sooooo ready for mine already. :tingrin:

I had a choice of all metal or metal top/clear bottom. But for the extra $350 (or something) it didn't seem worth it. When I talk/smile my teeth show evenly to slightly more upper teeth, so having the clear on the bottom wouldn't really do much for me. (Since I'm having intrusion on the top and this big clunky looking thing, it requires metal on the top bc they're stronger. It's interesting to see all the clear/ceramic on the top and metal on the bottom braces on here.)