The start of my braces journey (pics included)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tlal23

The start of my braces journey (pics included)

#1 Post by Tlal23 »

Hi everyone,
I'm a 35 year old mum with 3 girls 12, 2.5 & 1.
I'm from Melbourne AUstralia.

I have always hated my teeth up close but could usually get away with them looking straight in photos on the right angle.
But since having my two youngest my teeth have moved and now they look terrible in every picture.

I never really wanted braces when I was younger but as I got older I always had moments where all I could think about we're teeth. Everywhere I looked people had perfect teeth!
But I could never really afford it. Fast forward to now and thanks to a $6,000 win fall I thought yep I'm going to do it!

I'm nervous but very excited since reading and seeing everyone's stories on here.

I had my first ever orthodontist consult two weeks ago. They sent me forms to fill in prior and a referral for bulk billed X-rays. The consult was goodbyt was hard to understand him some of the time. His assistant was very nice and went through everything in more detail after he left.

She showed me the braces, elastics as ill need a tooth pulled, power chains so that I didn't freak out when I needed them. She went through what you can and can't eat.

She then did a costing for me and printed it out. They have a paypent plan too which helps. I was quoted $7,200 for.

Just received (1 week after consult) the plan.

- lips do not meet at rest
- decreased facial height.
- overbite
Overjet 6mm over lower front teeth
Moderate crowding in upper and lower arch.
Upper are 3mm right of centre
Chipped upper left incisor (21)
Market white spot on lateral incisor (22)
Attrition is evident on anterior teeth fr lower left canine to lower right canine?
Generalised gingvae recession 1-2mm?

Areas of inflammation are present at the junction of the gum tissue and tooth?
Gum tissue surrounding teeth is minimal in some areas?'

Upper and lower teeth tipped forward

Treatment to straighten and correct route alignment, resolve existing bite, extraction of upper tooth required, and there is a risk that existing recession might worsen? What does that mean?

Tlal23

Re: The start of my braces journey (pics included)

#2 Post by Tlal23 »

Yesterday I decided I should get another quote, so I'm booked in for two weeks away. This consult however this one won't be free. It's $120 for half an hour. Nor did they get my address so I assume unlike the other they won't be sending for for X-rays, not that it matters because I would of told them I'd just had some.

This one however is closer and open on Saturdays.

Ok so coming up I have;
15th oct- dentist for a filling
17th- surgeon to check an unknown particle in my jaw.
23rd- second consult. Will have to change as I have something on.
Then need to book back in to see first ortho if that's what I decide.
Then need to book with my dentist for an extraction.
18th Nov- family holiday

Tlal23

#3 Post by Tlal23 »

Pics included once I know how to make them smaller :roll:

Tlal23

#4 Post by Tlal23 »

So update time. On the 7th of jan I had my tooth removed, it was difficult to get out being a healthy tooth.
I was worried I had a dry socket so bought some oil of clove and lots of salt water rinses and all was well.

Fast forward to yesterday the 17th of jan and time for my braces. The actually putting on wasn't painful, slightly uncomfortable on occasion but not too bad. I did however nearly gag on the flavour of the wash they do.

I was surprised I could talk fine afterwards but now it's getting harder. The back top molar is giving my some grief and just the weird sensation is hard at the moment.
It feels like I constantly have stuff stuck in my teeth.

Last night I went to bed with wax everywhere and probably will again tonight. I already have a sore on my lip and a few inside my mouth.

Tell me it gets easier?

Hope the before pics worked.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tlal23

#5 Post by Tlal23 »

And now for brace pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matilda

#6 Post by Matilda »

Tlal23 wrote:Tell me it gets easier?
Absolutely! Just give it a few days.

NeilH

#7 Post by NeilH »

Hi, congratulations on getting started. We all have very different experiences but most of us soon get used to having braces and quickly adapt. I've had mine for 8 months and barely think about them at all. Throughout treatment there always be little things that niggle you or questions that need answering and that is where this board comes in. It's a great community of people from all around the world sharing a similar goal and always willing to offer advice and friendship when most needed.

Tlal23

#8 Post by Tlal23 »

Thanks Matilda and Neil.

chichi

#9 Post by chichi »

Congrats! They look great :)

It definitely gets easier. They'll eventually become part of your everyday life. In fact, just last night, I was doing my nightly floss and actually forgot I had braces... the wire blocked the floss and there was half a second when I thought, "what the heck is that?!" I may have been a little tired :oops: but sometimes it really is easy to forget I'm wearing them.
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

Tlal23

#10 Post by Tlal23 »

Lol chichi good to know you get use to them.
I've been following you story and loved seeing your progress.

chichi

#11 Post by chichi »

Tlal23 wrote:Lol chichi good to know you get use to them.
I've been following you story and loved seeing your progress.
Thanks for following my story :)

Unfortunately, I'm bored with my braces right now :roll: I have a few things that aren't moving fast enough for my liking lol
Had Damons (ceramic upper, metal lower) from June 27, 2013 - January 20, 2015
15-18 month sentence, official time in braces was 18 months, 3 weeks, 3 days
My Story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45054

Tlal23

#12 Post by Tlal23 »

Ok so tomorrow will be one week since being braced.
I'm slowly getting a bit more use to them.

I'm still using wax at night, although last night I ran out and now have some cute oh my cheek :-(
My teeth have started to become quite sensitive when chewy now.

I haven't ventured out much to eat but downloaded the mirror app for just incase.
My waterpik is awesome, not sure how people survived braces without them, it's amazing what it gets out.

SunshineRay

#13 Post by SunshineRay »

They have a mirror app? It does get better btw! :D

Tlal23

#14 Post by Tlal23 »

Hey sunshineray,
Yep they have a mirror app :D

I'm not sure if I'm seeing things or if there has been slight change all ready or it's just the lighting/angle.
How early did you notice change?