My journey (expander, then braces)

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Featheryy1221

My journey (expander, then braces)

#1 Post by Featheryy1221 »

So I decided today that I should start a braces story. So here goes nothing. :) I'm 21, and I've wanted braces since I was around seven/eight years old (when my front tooth came in crooked). Due to financial reasons, my family couldn't afford braces when I was young. Having crooked teeth has hurt my self esteem and self confidence A LOT. I was made fun of a lot because of them. I'm still wary about smiling around people because I'm not sure what their reaction will be. Anyway, I finally took the plunge this summer and went to three ortho consultations.

First guy: Wanted to use damon braces, said I'd have them for 20 months and that I might have to get one of my lower incisor teeth out. He said I was lucky because I didn't need jaw surgery. He was the most expensive.

Second guy: Wanted to pull out four teeth. Then he said something about how i'll need gum surgery for my front teeth and he'd be more than happy to do it himself, but we'd "talk about the price of that later." :roll: (No one else mentioned this). 21 months total time. He was the cheapest, but that didn't include extraction costs.

Third guy: He did my sister's braces 18 years ago. And he said that my palate needs to be expanded because my upper jaw is v-shaped. Told me I'd wear an expander for around 6 months, and if it works then I won't need jaw surgery. Then braces will be on for a year. So 18 months total time.

After A LOT of debate, and research, I decided to go with the third ortho. I know there is much debate on whether an expander at my age will work, and maybe it will, maybe it won't. I figured I'd at least try it. Besides having a v-shaped upper jaw, I have a crossbite, 10 mm overjet, and my midlines are off. Basically all these things because my teeth are too big for my mouth and my jaw didn't grow properly. Whoo-hoo.

Anyway, so I did all my records and molds in August, then I had an appointment on August 28th to get my spacers put in. At my next appointment I was supposed to get the bands fitted for my expander. Or so I thought. My ortho informed me at that appointment that he has decided I need a "bonded expander" instead of a "banded expander." He's worried that my teeth will tip too much with a banded expander and this way it won't happen. Bonded expanders are supposed to be more difficult to get used to talking with, so I'm not really looking forward to that. :(

The other piece of bad news is that I have to get my wisdom teeth out. Which I knew I'd have to. My ortho seemed like he wanted me to get them out right now, but he said he understood if I couldn't get them out right away. My insurance more than likely won't cover it, even though they're impacted and my dentist told me a couple years ago I should get them out. Anyway, my ortho said he needs them out at least before I get my braces on, which won't be for 6 months or so anyways. He was supposed to give me a copy of my x-rays so I could show my parents my teeth, and give me a referral, however, the office ladies told me to leave because the paper work wasn't ready. So I left even though the girl who took another mold of my teeth told me to wait and meet her at the front desk. :?

Anyway, now I just have to wait for my expander to be made. My next appointment is for Oct 1st, but I'm going to see if I can change it to after I get done with my classes on October 4th. Then I'll have more time to adjust to it.

Here are some pictures of my teeth. I took them when I had the spacers in.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Estimated treatment time: 18 months. (6 months- expander, 1 year- braces)
Bonded Rapid Palatal Expander: 10/1/13 - 3/31/14
Upper and Lower Metal Braces: 4/22/14 - 7/14/15
Total treatment time: 21 months

SunshineRay

Re: My journey (expander, then braces)

#2 Post by SunshineRay »

Hi and welcome! Sounds like you are going to be busy with dental appts....thats how my adeventure started out too.

vvirag

#3 Post by vvirag »

Hi! I'm also an "expander, then braces" case, with a v-shaped upper jaw. :) I would like to ask you about your appliance. I'll get A.L.F. for my upper teeth (on October 7th), and I tried to search about them on the internet, however I haven't found anything interesting about this "expander, then braces" story. At least not with Damon braces (which I'll have later), because everywhere they say, that Damon makes the smile wider already.. I'm also curious how much changes can make an expander on his own in this short time.. (yes, I also got 6 months plan for my A.L.F.)

Featheryy1221

#4 Post by Featheryy1221 »

SunshineRay wrote:Hi and welcome! Sounds like you are going to be busy with dental appts....thats how my adeventure started out too.
Thank you SunshineRay. :D And yes, it seems like I'm going to be very busy with appointments and everything else. Has your adventure been good so far?

vvirag wrote:Hi! I'm also an "expander, then braces" case, with a v-shaped upper jaw. :) I would like to ask you about your appliance. I'll get A.L.F. for my upper teeth (on October 7th), and I tried to search about them on the internet, however I haven't found anything interesting about this "expander, then braces" story. At least not with Damon braces (which I'll have later), because everywhere they say, that Damon makes the smile wider already.. I'm also curious how much changes can make an expander on his own in this short time.. (yes, I also got 6 months plan for my A.L.F.)
Hi, vvirag! I'm not so sure I'll be of much help since I'm actually getting a palatal expander, not A.L.F. As for damon braces, when I went to my first orthodontic consultation that orthodontist wanted to use damon. From my understanding, if I went with him then I personally didn't need an expander, because he said that damon braces wires are wider than traditional braces, so I'd get the expansion I'd need. Whether that would have been the case though, I'm not sure. I'm guessing that you're getting an A.L.F. because your mouth will need more expansion than what damon braces are capable of. I'm not really sure, unfortunately since I don't know what your case really is. I would ask your ortho though for more clarity, if you can. :)
As for how much changes will occur in six months, I'm not sure about that either. haha. The palatal expander might not even work for me, since I'm really over the typical age of getting one, and my bone might already be fused. Fingers crossed it's not, but I know my luck. :roll: haha. Anyway, I think you'll see a little bit of change every time you go to the ortho, from my understanding anyways.
Sorry I'm not of more help! :oops: Hopefully someone else might know more!

Featheryy1221

#5 Post by Featheryy1221 »

So I called to change my expander date appointment from Tuesday, October 1st, to Friday, October 4th. That way I'd have the weekend to adjust to the expander and I wouldn't have class the next day to worry about how bad I was lisping, and how I can't swallow my spit. lol. It sounded like a perfect plan. Well, I was told I couldn't get an appointment until Monday, October 14th if I changed the date of my appointment. This being because my ortho won't be in til then. Ugh.
So now I have to stick to that date and I'm hoping that I can somewhat talk normally. I'm worried about it because I'm in college and one of my classes is a foreign language, so we get into pairs/groups and practice the words a lot. How am I supposed to speak in that language properly when I can't even speak in my native language?! Now I'm starting to panic. :cry:

I know this is worth it, and I know I'm just overreacting, but I just hate the thought of not being able to speak properly. With it being a bonded expander, it's more difficult to talk with as it's plastic.

10 days left to the big day.... Ah!

Featheryy1221

#6 Post by Featheryy1221 »

So just an update: today I got my bonded palatal expander in! :mrgreen: I'm OFFICIALLY started with my treatment!

Eating is an absolute nightmare right now though, and talking is difficult. I can't pronounce anything with the "k," or "g" sound. However, I'm definitely excited that this is really happening! I feel like I'm dreaming. So many years I've wanted to get this stuff done and it's finally happening!

Here's hoping this thing works! :-*

Featheryy1221

#7 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Well I'm two weeks into this, so I figured I'd update. :)

The first couple days were super rough. I couldn't pronounce anything with the "e," "y," "k," "t," "s," "ch," sound. I couldn't say the word "you" at all. It was pretty embarrassing, but as promised after around day 6/7, I could finally pronounce pretty much anything. Except for long "e" words, like "week," or "key." My friends and family have said that they can understand me, so that's all that really matters.

Eating/drinking was pretty terrible as well in the beginning. I had to tilt my head back in order to drink water and eat yogurt/food in general. haha. Basically the first few days I just ate apple sauce, yogurt, mashed potatoes, puddings, mushy foods, and smoothies/shakes. After day 3, I finally started eating normal food. I just have to make sure everything is cut into the tiniest pieces so I don't choke.

As for the turning, the first couple days I felt a lot of pressure in my cheeks, nose, and teeth. The pressure is really hard to explain how it feels to someone who has never had to wear an expander. It doesn't hurt, per-say, it's just an odd feeling. My nose felt so sore for a few days, like it was broken. Now when I turn the expander, I mostly feel the pressure in my teeth/cheeks. My nasal breathing feels like it's gotten so much better, which can be a benefit people get from the expander. I haven't gotten the dreaded gap yet, which is sort of concerning, but at the same time, I know that there are people who don't get a gap. So it doesn't mean that it's not working technically. I try not to think about whether or not it's working. Mostly because I don't want to think that it is working, when it's really not. haha. I know there's been shifting in my teeth at least because I can actually feel the expander moving them. It's the weirdest feeling ever.

My next appointment is on Oct 30th to see how I'm doing.

Here is a picture I took of my teeth a couple days ago.

My other pictures don't show when I go on here, but I'm not sure if that's just my computer/internet browser, or if they somehow got deleted. :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kids041

#8 Post by kids041 »

Wow! I can see why it would be difficult to talk clearly. Kudos to you for working around it all :)

Featheryy1221

#9 Post by Featheryy1221 »

kids041 wrote:Wow! I can see why it would be difficult to talk clearly. Kudos to you for working around it all :)
Yeah, it definitely wasn't easy at first. haha. And thank you! :D I'm surprised at how quickly I adapted to it.

Norrie

#10 Post by Norrie »

Good luck to you! You already have a beautiful smile, and it's going to be fabulous once you're done.
I hope that the expander works exactly as you hope it will.

Featheryy1221

#11 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Norrie wrote:Good luck to you! You already have a beautiful smile, and it's going to be fabulous once you're done.
I hope that the expander works exactly as you hope it will.
Yes, hopefully it works out well. Thank you, Norrie! :D I noticed from your ticker that you're early on in your treatment, so good luck to you as well! :)

Matilda

#12 Post by Matilda »

Good luck on your journey, Featheryy1221.

Featheryy1221

#13 Post by Featheryy1221 »

Matilda wrote:Good luck on your journey, Featheryy1221.
Thank you, Matilda! :D

headbanggg

#14 Post by headbanggg »

wow your teeth looks very white :) good luck

Anna5

#15 Post by Anna5 »

Good luck! I hope the expander will work so that you don't need surgery. I don't think your crossbite is too bad, so I think you will be fine.
I already think your teeth are beautiful and I am sure they will be really great when you are done!