cdnbracegirl's story: Finally getting braces at age 30

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

cdnbracegirl

Re: cdnbracegirl's story: Finally getting braces at age 30

#46 Post by cdnbracegirl »

Looks like I'll be debraced in early January. I'm a little bummed out that it won't be next month. My orthodontist is a perfectionist and sees some things that bother her but they don't bother me. I'm sure it would bother me over time. My upper midline is 0.5mm off from my bottom midline. She did some IPR on my upper left teeth to shift the midline over and made an adjustment to my wire to step down one tooth. I only have to wear elastics on my left side now in class II configuration. My next appointment is December 17th.

mapleleafman888

#47 Post by mapleleafman888 »

That's good news though!! How lucky you are to have an ortho who is a super perfectionist, I'm sure the extra months will be more than worth it in the end.

Still waiting for my debanding date, was supposed to be on dec 9th but ortho is kind of slack lol, hopefully I'll be joining you with the January de-brace date. Next appointment is on Nov. 26th.

Take care and here's to an earlier removal date! :D
My story:http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=45354
Upper and Lower Damon Braces for 18 months!
I met 46 braceface adults when I had braces myself!

cdnbracegirl

#48 Post by cdnbracegirl »

I know. I'm just impatient. I feel like I've been held back because of my teeth for so long. I'm excited to start the next chapter of my life with showing emotion and not being so self conscious of my teeth. I hope you get a debrace soon!! We started this journey at the same time and it'd be cool to end it at the same time as well.

NeilH

#49 Post by NeilH »

Hi, it must be great having an ending in sight but more importantly, an orthodontist who wants to get it just right for you. An extra month or two will be nothing compared to the many years ahead of you with a great smile so hang in there, they will be off soon.

cdnbracegirl

#50 Post by cdnbracegirl »

I'M GETTING MY MOTHERLOVIN' BRACES OFF ON JANUARY 20TH!!!!!!!!!! AHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

Ahem. Scan is on the 13th and deband is on the 20th. I have to wear elastics in triangle formation only at night until then. I am so happy! :D

mapleleafman888

#51 Post by mapleleafman888 »

That's awesome! Congrats! Bye-bye blasted braces!!! What's the scan for?

cdnbracegirl

#52 Post by cdnbracegirl »

mapleleafman888 wrote:That's awesome! Congrats! Bye-bye blasted braces!!! What's the scan for?
I'm guessing x-rays to see if the roots are in the correct position? I didn't think to ask. All I heard was "debrace" and I was done. I'm already planning all the foods I'm going to eat. I'm going to gain so much weight! Teehee.

newbite

#53 Post by newbite »

Haha that sounds like a plan! Congratulations!! Maybe the scan is for your retainers? My ortho uses a handheld scanner instead of taking impressions, maybe yours does, too .
•Braces placed August 14, 2014
•Deband November 11, 2015
•Permanent retainer top and bottom
•Essix retainers top and bottom 16 hr/day for a year and then nightly afterwards.

My story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... 51#p455351

cdnbracegirl

#54 Post by cdnbracegirl »

newbite wrote:Haha that sounds like a plan! Congratulations!! Maybe the scan is for your retainers? My ortho uses a handheld scanner instead of taking impressions, maybe yours does, too .
That is quite possible. My ortho's office did recently get new equipment. I guess I'll find out later. :)

I went to a Christmas party last night with people I hadn't seen in a while. I had seen them after I got my braces last September. A lot of people were surprised I had braces! I told them I was getting them off next month. They had no clue the whole time. I think I'm finally letting my emotions (and teeth) show because I am absolutely so happy I finally have straight teeth. The people who noticed told me their stories and how it was so worth it to have braces. I have to agree with them. :D

cdnbracegirl

#55 Post by cdnbracegirl »

I had my scan today and newbite was right. It was a handheld scanner that takes scans of your mouth for retainers. I'll be getting upper and lower bonded retainers next week at my debrace. I have the option of removing the uppers after one year if I want to. And it sounds like I'm only getting an upper Essix retainer. Not sure if I misunderstood. Anyways, 7 days until the big day!!! :crazy:

mapleleafman888

#56 Post by mapleleafman888 »

Sheesh technology has sure advanced. I'm skeptical of the accuracy of the retainer fit...lol just me though...

cdnbracegirl

#57 Post by cdnbracegirl »

mapleleafman888 wrote:Sheesh technology has sure advanced. I'm skeptical of the accuracy of the retainer fit...lol just me though...
I would've rather had the putty. I didn't like how the wand kept blowing air in my mouth and made my mouth dry. It took a good 5 minutes to scan my whole mouth. :s Putty would've taken 30 seconds. The final picture looked pretty neat though.

arciedee

#58 Post by arciedee »

Jumping in here to comment on the scan thing... the digital scanners are actually more accurate than the trays with the stuff. Sounds counter-intuitive, I know, but the physical impressions lose some clarity along the way. The mold doesn't quite capture all of the nooks and crannies of your teeth, so it's close to what your teeth actually look like, but not quite, then they use that to create the retainers. It's kind of like taking a photocopy of a document. It's pretty close to what the original looked like, but not quite as crisp. Whereas the digital scan captures every single divot and bump and if there's any section of the impression that's not clear the software picks up on it right away so that area can be rescanned immediately.

I had to have retainers made the old-school way before I got my Invisalign (which was created from scans) and the difference in fit was remarkable. But yeah, the process of getting the scan done is definitely slower than the molds!

mapleleafman888

#59 Post by mapleleafman888 »

You're almost done I am super excited for you!

cdnbracegirl

#60 Post by cdnbracegirl »

arciedee wrote:Jumping in here to comment on the scan thing... the digital scanners are actually more accurate than the trays with the stuff. Sounds counter-intuitive, I know, but the physical impressions lose some clarity along the way. The mold doesn't quite capture all of the nooks and crannies of your teeth, so it's close to what your teeth actually look like, but not quite, then they use that to create the retainers. It's kind of like taking a photocopy of a document. It's pretty close to what the original looked like, but not quite as crisp. Whereas the digital scan captures every single divot and bump and if there's any section of the impression that's not clear the software picks up on it right away so that area can be rescanned immediately.

I had to have retainers made the old-school way before I got my Invisalign (which was created from scans) and the difference in fit was remarkable. But yeah, the process of getting the scan done is definitely slower than the molds!
This makes me feel better. I work in a STEM field so I appreciate the science of it all.

mapleleafman888 - Dude, I'm so close but the month went really fast. It will go quickly for you too and you will be there before you know it.