Roses' braces

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Roses

Roses' braces

#1 Post by Roses »

First of all, hello! I cannot express how thankful I am that this forum exists. Thus far in my treatment it has been a font of knowledge and motivation.

I am a first time brace wearer. I was referred to an ortho when I was 13 and they said that my teeth were just below the threshold to be treated on the NHS so we left it. Before my 16th birthday, the family dentist referred me to a different ortho, and if you live in the UK you will know how long these waiting lists are. When I was 17 I was called in for a consultation, and in the 4 years since my initial assessment my teeth had got worse so they agreed to start treatment just before my 18th birthday.

I have fixed metal braces on the top and the bottom, with brackets on all the teeth except the very back molars, and no molar rings. I think this is because I have wisdom teeth coming through.

The pain for the first week was rough. At least I could manage the cake on my birthday!

Three weeks into treatment I broke my first bracket. It was a bracket bonded to a crown so I was told to expect this. When I went to go and get this bracket fixed, I had all my ligs replaced (On the general metal mouth forum I incorrectly called them elastics and was far too embarrassed to correct myself...) On the bottom teeth now the ligs are twisted in a figure of 8 shape on each bracket across the front. Two hours after getting this fixed, the bracket below it broke. I went back to the ortho to get that looked at two days later and I was expecting to be told off but they said it was not my fault and that it was my bite, so now I am sporting some molar buildups on my first molars on the bottom.

I have been told my treatment will take 18-24 months, and after that I will have a set of Essix retainers. I do not recall the official diagnosis but I shall ask at my next adjustment. :D

EmBee

Re: Roses' braces

#2 Post by EmBee »

Hi! I agree that this board is awesome for finding information and learning things about what we are doing to ourselves! Don't worry too much about mixing up terms, when you first get braces on there is a LOT of information and terminology thrown at you, and it's kind of confusing at first. Pretty sure since I've started treatment I've spent more time on Google than I ever did before combined :lol:

As long as you can eat birthday cake, things could always be worse! :D Good luck with everything!

Roses

#3 Post by Roses »

EmBee wrote:Hi! I agree that this board is awesome for finding information and learning things about what we are doing to ourselves! Don't worry too much about mixing up terms, when you first get braces on there is a LOT of information and terminology thrown at you, and it's kind of confusing at first. Pretty sure since I've started treatment I've spent more time on Google than I ever did before combined :lol:

As long as you can eat birthday cake, things could always be worse! :D Good luck with everything!
Thank you!
Hoping to put some pics up soon when I notice some progress ^^

Roses

#4 Post by Roses »

This morning the bracket on the crown came off again. Feeling very frustrated as I have been eating carefully and following instructions. Ortho isn't open on the weekend so I'm going to phone on Monday.

Roses

#5 Post by Roses »

Crown bracket is staying off until next adjustment. I might need a band putting on! I really do not want that so I'm going to make sure I talk through the other options. I have been noticing a lot of movement recently despite the last adjustment being over a month ago. It seem my teeth are just waking up! First wires are nearly completely straight. Times like this where you do notice the change make it all worth it :)

EmBee

#6 Post by EmBee »

That's great you are noticing the teeth moving! It's so exciting to look in the mirror and notice all the little changes :D I thought it was a little weird that I would still be noticing changes right before the next adjustment and having pain off and on the whole time, but I guess that's normal!

My ortho didn't even give me a choice about molar bands, but I think that's because I have fillings on the some of the molars where the bracket would go. They were pretty annoying when I first got them placed but not any more so than any other new thing put in my mouth. I got used to them after a few days same as everything else. :thumbsup:

cakemamma

#7 Post by cakemamma »

Hi Roses,
Roses wrote: I have been noticing a lot of movement recently despite the last adjustment being over a month ago. It seem my teeth are just waking up! First wires are nearly completely straight.
This has reassured me this morning,its my 3rd day in braces and the pain has pretty much gone now, I started panicking that my teeth wouldn't move until my next adj! This is crazy I know, I'm 24 and should know better.
Please get some pics up of your progress! I hope they manage to sort the crown bracket out for you, it sounds very irritating.
Good Luck,
Abi
http://www.cakebraces.blogspot.co.uk
Updated every Friday with progress photos
Ceramic front 6, rest metal on top, metal on bottom!
Braced on 8th November 2013 for 9-12 months

Roses

#8 Post by Roses »

5 months tomorrow I would have had my braces on! The time has absolutely flown!

I am still on my first wires as the bottom one still has a tiny bit more work to do. However, despite this progress, I have had such an ordeal from October with my crown. It started as a dull pain and then just grew into this never-ending severe pain in the tooth to the point where I was staggering ibuprofen and co-codamol. My dentist and orthodontist were both saying it was the other ones problem to sort out the pain, and in the in my dentist wrote a letter saying it was most definitely the pressure of the build up on a recent root filling, and despite my orthodontist saying it must me an infected root despite the tooth being radiographically and clinically sound, since my ortho has ground down the build-ups the pain has gone! However, since this pain was so bad, I am keeping an eye out for signs of possible infection, as going home for appointments really got in the way of my uni work last semester.

They have also left the bracket off the crown for now, so I don't know what's going to happen there. When I get back to uni I'm going to get some pictures up as well :)

Roses

#9 Post by Roses »

Finally some progress pictures!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Matilda

#10 Post by Matilda »

Nice progress! Your wires straightened out a lot.

Roses

#11 Post by Roses »

Matilda wrote:Nice progress! Your wires straightened out a lot.
Hoping to get new wires at my next adjustment. I really feel there is progress when I can see them straightening :)

Fionisimma

#12 Post by Fionisimma »

Roses wrote:
Hoping to get new wires at my next adjustment. I really feel there is progress when I can see them straightening :)
Great progress and wishing you more to come!!! Thank you for sharing your pics - seeing your wires straightening out gives us newbies real hope that our very crooked shaped first wires will at some point begin to straighten too... :)

Roses

#13 Post by Roses »

Fionisimma wrote:
Roses wrote:
Great progress and wishing you more to come!!! Thank you for sharing your pics - seeing your wires straightening out gives us newbies real hope that our very crooked shaped first wires will at some point begin to straighten too... :)
Yep and it will sneak up on you too! I didn't notice how straight the wires were until I compared pictures. It will be worth it for all of us ^^

Ellabelle

#14 Post by Ellabelle »

Great progress, girl!

SunshineRay

#15 Post by SunshineRay »

Roses wrote:Finally some progress pictures!
I have heard the brighter colors make your teeth look whiter but hadnt seen them side by side for comparison. So thanks ;)
Your progress is looking good!