I volunteer...

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

mysticgirl916

I volunteer...

#1 Post by mysticgirl916 »

That is pretty much how I started my own braces journey.

When I went for my annual exam in April, my dentist made a very interesting proposition to me. She told me she was taking some courses in orthodontics and asked me if I was willing to volunteer to be a test subject for her studies, meaning I would be getting braces at a reduced cost. She had actually been suggesting it since I started seeing her over five years ago, but of course money was the problem back then. I am 33 years old (will be 34 in 2 weeks) and I thought it would feel a little odd getting braces at such an age, but then my mom told me one of my aunts got them in her 40s, which made me feel a little better. I decided to agree to the proposition, which of course delighted my dentist.

In late May, I went back to get my records done: photos, impressions and X-rays, so that she could present my case to her professor - I was actually one of a few others who were candidates for this proposition. Then in mid-July, I went back for another appointment, at which time Dr. Kate (my dentist) told me and my parents that the go-ahead had been given for my treatment - I would start with getting braces on my top teeth and only have to sacrifice one of my bottom teeth in the process. Most treatments cost about $5-6,000, but because this was a special case, I would receive my treatment for only $3,000, which my parents paid the next day.

July 24 was braces day for me, I had an early evening appointment and was feeling a bit nervous. Luckily Jessica, the hygenist who was working with Dr. Kate on my treatment, put me at ease through the whole thing - the whole staff at my dental office is extremely nice. I even got to choose my own ligature color: hot pink, since it's my favorite color.
There was only one little snag when Jessica put two of the brackets on upside down, so she had to take them off and put them back on the right way. I only felt pressure when the wire was being put on, but all in all it wasn't that bad. Jessica handed me a mirror and I saw my braced teeth for the first time - the pink ligatures looked really cool. I was given a little goodie pouch with a few essentials plus a sheet of instructions, booked my next appointment and was sent on my way.

Two weeks later, I can't even feel them like I did those first few hours after I got them. I'm able to chew and enjoy a few of my favorite foods again, and I requested butter chicken, my favorite Indian dish, for my upcoming birthday supper since we make it with pre-cut chicken which would be easy for me to handle. I go back to see Jessica for a follow-up the first week of September, and then I have my bi-annual cleaning in October. It's going to be a long journey ahead, but I know it will be worth it.

kids041

Re: I volunteer...

#2 Post by kids041 »

Wow! what a great opportunity :D
Are you only having upper braces, or will you get lower in the future?

cdnbracegirl

#3 Post by cdnbracegirl »

That's pretty cool! Can't wait to see your progress. :)

mysticgirl916

#4 Post by mysticgirl916 »

Top teeth for now, so they can make more room for the bottom ones

mysticgirl916

#5 Post by mysticgirl916 »

I have made quite a lot of progress over the past two weeks. After I got back my ability to chew fully, I've started having toaster waffles for breakfast every day (my dad questioned me once why I eat them with cutlery, now he knows why). I've gotten the hang of flossing with a threader, I find that threading down instead of up is a lot easier for me.

We had hamburgers for dinner this past Monday, and I was actually able to eat it, bun and all, without any trouble. Thursday night we had chicken wings, and I was able to eat them just by shredding the meat off the bone with my fork (we're having ribs for our Sunday dinner, so I'm going to do the same thing). If I'm craving something sweet, I'll either have a pudding cup, ice cream or some Greek yogurt, and sometimes some Reese's mini peanut butter cups - they're perfect because they melt on the top of your mouth. Other than that, I show off my braces to people I know and I'm not ashamed of it. I actually can't wait to go for my first follow-up appointment in September to show my dentist how I've been doing.

mysticgirl916

#6 Post by mysticgirl916 »

Month #1 completed!
So I made it through the first month of my treatment. I've had little to no pain, though I've felt a bit of pressure on two of my top right teeth - it must mean that they're starting to move. Eating hasn't been a problem either, though I'm still having a bit of trouble with hamburgers and such because the bun isn't soft enough or really crunchy fries because they're so hard and I'm afraid of breaking a bracket off. Luckily, I'm trying to find ways of working around those little issues.

I miss potato chips, really. It kind of makes me sad to see my family eating them knowing they're off limits to me. At least I've lost a bit of weight having cut them out for now.

I have my first follow-up appointment next week Thursday so they can check on my progress and perhaps do an adjustment. I'm not sure when they're going to do my bottom teeth. I'll keep you all updated on how things are going.

mysticgirl916

#7 Post by mysticgirl916 »

So today I had my 6-week appointment. Even my dentist was impressed when she saw my progress: she gave me a mirror and compared it to the initial model that I had done back in May. I had another impression done along with more photos taken (the pressure was a little more intense because of the brackets), and tomorrow I'm getting my bottom brackets done. I was even told that there was the likelihood that I will not have to get one of my bottom teeth pulled!

I'll tell you more tomorrow :jump:

mysticgirl916

#8 Post by mysticgirl916 »

I am now fully braced! This morning I returned to see Jessica to get my bottom brackets on, I stuck with the pink ligatures to match the ones on top. Even she was impressed with how well I've been taking care of my teeth, and best of all no extractions had to be made. Though I can still feel a bit of pressure on my top teeth, I can't feel the bottom ones right now at all

Another follow-up has been scheduled for a month from now, I'm actually glad I agreed to do this. Hopefully sometime soon I'll share some pictures of my progress

mysticgirl916

#9 Post by mysticgirl916 »

Friday, I went in for my 6-month cleaning at the same time as my dad. Our favorite hygenist, Kasia, was eager to see my braces when she came in and was thrilled I got them - she took care of my dad while I was under the care of another hygenist named Izabella. At some point during my cleaning, Dr. Kate couldn't resist checking me over and noticed a small gap on the top right due to a tooth rotating way too quickly, so I have to get the bracket on that tooth re-positioned but they're still going to use the same archwire because it's working really well - it's the thinnest they have. Izabella, Kasia and Jessica have been amazed at how well I've been taking care of my teeth since I got my braces.

To extract or not to extract, that is the question. Dr. Kate's instructor thinks the tooth to the right of center on the bottom should be pulled out to help the crowded ones align properly while she believes it should be left alone because she's already noticed a dramatic change in my facial profile. Personally, I think Dr. Kate is going to win that round, even my parents think so.

Next follow-up is on Monday, probably to get the bracket re-positioned. I'll have more then.

TrustGodAuburn

#10 Post by TrustGodAuburn »

What a great opportunity for you to do this! I am about 40 days or so in on my treatment and my bottom brackets have only been on for about 5 days, they are very irritating to me right now.

I also have hot pink ligs right now :)

mysticgirl916

#11 Post by mysticgirl916 »

Friday morning I went in for my lower tooth extraction, my dentist lost the debate with her instructor. After I was debanded and had the wire removed by Jola (the hygenist helping out), Dr. Kate numbed me and took the bracket off the tooth before proceeding with the extraction. It only took a few minutes and I didn't feel a thing, that's why I love my dentist so much. I soaked through all the gauze Jola gave me, but cotton balls worked just as well, it was difficult to talk normally at times. The numbing wore off just after noon while the bleeding in the empty space stopped after I had lunch.

I now have to leave my bottom teeth unbraced for the next week and a half to allow the gap to heal, and I go back on the 15th to get the wire and bands put back on. It's a small gap, so I bet it will close up quickly

mysticgirl916

#12 Post by mysticgirl916 »

1/10/14 Update

After 5 and a half months on a thin wire, I got my first adjustment this morning. Dr. Kate was pleased with my progress and was proud of how well I've been taking care of my teeth since I started my treatment. So now I have a thicker wire on both my top and bottom teeth and I even changed the color of my ligs from pink to purple.

I can't believe it's almost been 6 months since I started on my braces journey, time has gone by so fast. I go back in 6 weeks for another adjustment, with the Olympics coming up I might go with red ligs for that adjustment to cheer on Team Canada

Enchanted

#13 Post by Enchanted »

Wow, what a great opportunity! Lucky you!

mysticgirl916

#14 Post by mysticgirl916 »

Top teeth: 8 months; Bottom teeth: almost 7 months

Went back earlier this afternoon for another follow-up with Dr. Kate, things are progressing nicely. Since my last update, I'm on my third wire and today I got powerchains put on to start closing the gaps - especially on the bottom where I had a tooth extracted back in November. I chose forest-green bands for the back teeth and the powerchains are lime green

mysticgirl916

#15 Post by mysticgirl916 »

10 months later...

The gap from the extraction I had done in November is nearly closed, I had my powerchains replaced several days ago when I went in for my cleaning and follow-up - they're purple this time. I really can't believe I've had braces for nearly a year now, time has been flying so fast! Hopefully the gap closes by the time I attend my brother's wedding in August