Just another braces story...

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Jborders12

Just another braces story...

#1 Post by Jborders12 »

Hi all,

My story begins about 12 years ago when I was 13 and received braces for the first time... well kind of. A rapid palate expander was used to widen my upper arch and they placed brackets on my two front teeth to close a fairly large gap. After that gap was closed, my treatment was postponed for the rest of my teeth to develop/grow. Unfortunately, due to family financial circumstances, I never went back and payed the consequences. As I went through middle school and high school, I began to develop severe crowding (top and bottom) to the point where my lateral incisors where hidden behind the rest of my teeth. (see pictures)

Fast-forward to my junior year of college. As I continued to search for the next step after school, whether it be graduate school or professional work, I couldn't help but thinking about my teeth. I had always wished they were straight and I hated my smile...to the point where I never showed my teeth. My girlfriend of 4 years helped push me to finally make the decision to go back to another ortho. She told me that my teeth had never bothered her, but if it's something that is important to me, then I should do it for me.

So, to the orthodontist I went. During my consultation, he told me it would be a tough but do-able case. He said that I would need a rapid palatal expander (again) and 4 extractions (first bicuspids). He also mentioned that he was unsure if the RPE would work, so he said surgery would be a follow-up plan. At the time I didn't mention this, but I was not okay with that option.

The RPE went in May of 2011 and I cranked it probably every 3 days (I believe). Thankfully, I was getting consistent movement and my ortho was happy. Interestingly, he mentioned if my last ortho would have kept my first RPE in longer, I would have not needed as much work my second go-around. Anyway, in August of 2011, I had all four bicuspids extracted and my braces put on (all on the SAME DAY). He asked me about 3 times if I was sure I wanted that and I said, yes...not knowing the amount of pain I'd experience for the next couple of weeks.

I was told the braces would be on for about 2 years. I started with monthly visits and lots of powerchains tugging and pulling my canines into the empty spaces where my bicuspids once were. Soon enough my lateral incisors began to peak out and start moving towards their destination. The day they attached a bracket to my right lateral incisor and pushed the wire back to connect it was a great day. I remember always pressing on that tooth when I was a kid just wishing I could somehow push it into position... The feeling of that tooth coming to the front of my smile was so invigorating.

Last June, I informed my ortho that I had a big date coming up and would absolutely LOVE to have my braces off by a certain time (if possible, of course). I became engaged to my lovely fiancé. I asked if the braces would be off by September 2013. He told me that he believes they would be but to be sure, they wanted to expedite the process, meaning I may experience some extra discomfort due to more frequent adjustments. I didn't care. I was ready for them to come off.

So fast-forward to now! Last Thursday I was informed that my braces have successfully done their job and they can come off in 2 weeks! I don't think I've been this excited in a very long time. I am almost counting down the hours! As soon as they come off, I will be posting pictures. In fact, I can add some pictures that I took during my progress throughout the upcoming week.

June 27 will be a big day! :mrgreen:

EDIT: I will upload pics as soon as I become authorized!

SunshineRay

Re: Just another braces story...

#2 Post by SunshineRay »

How exciting! Braces off and a wedding soon!!

JeniK

#3 Post by JeniK »

:jump: :jump: Good for you!! So glad all you went through is working out for you!!

Kurisu

#4 Post by Kurisu »

Congratulations! It's been a long journey, but I'm glad it's all been worth it so far. It's never too late to improve your smile.

Do you think it would have been possible without extractions? I've read that some people have had complications with extractions.

Can't wait to see the before and after photos! Congrats to your big day (braces and wedding), of course :D :jump:

My braces saga
Pictures updated tri-weekly
Braced: 4/27/2013

Jborders12

#5 Post by Jborders12 »

Thank you all for the kind remarks!

Kurisu, in my case, I don't think I had any way around extractions. I'm not an orthodontist, and I can't even say I know much about the process... but I do know I had no room in my mouth for movement. My dentist had always told me I had an extremely small mouth and my ortho confirmed. My bicuspids were basically bowed/pushed outward as it was. After the extractions, my canines moved immediately, allowing room for everything else to come to place. I haven't had any complications to this point.

I think when I post "before" pictures you'll have a better of understanding of what I mean from all of this.

Angel269

#6 Post by Angel269 »

What a story and fantastic progress from what you have said. Look forward to seeing a before and after photo :-)

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42457

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Started using Bite Plate-14/07/12
Estimated treatment-8 months (upper ceramics)
Debond date-04/03/13

Jborders12

#7 Post by Jborders12 »

Thank you Angle269!

Here are a couple of before pictures. They are not the greatest, but I suppose I didn't think to take high quality pictures beforehand. Thankfully my ortho took extensive hi res pictures, so hopefully they give me a few after they're taken off next week!

These pictures were actually taken about 2 months after I received my RPE. They were taken on Sept 1st immediately before I left for the ortho to receive 4 extractions and my top and bottom braces put on. I have after photos (from that day), however, they're quite repulsive due to the bleeding.

I find it tough to look at these pictures now, but oh so thankful I went back and got braces. I can't wait to post after pictures next Thursday!!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Jborders12

#8 Post by Jborders12 »

Another really showing the upper crowding (you can sort of see the RPE back there)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Chaaguila

#9 Post by Chaaguila »

Can't wait too see pictures

Angel269

#10 Post by Angel269 »

Look forward to seeing further progress since you have had your RPE.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42457

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Started using Bite Plate-14/07/12
Estimated treatment-8 months (upper ceramics)
Debond date-04/03/13

Jborders12

#11 Post by Jborders12 »

Braces come off tomorrow at 8:00 AM and I cannot wait!

Here are some pics from the past year and a half of my progress.
Screen Shot 2013-02-09 at 4.46.57 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-02-09 at 4.47.55 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-02-09 at 4.48.08 PM.png

Jborders12

#12 Post by Jborders12 »

More progress pictures. A lot of moving!
Screen Shot 2013-02-09 at 4.48.33 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-02-09 at 4.48.58 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-02-09 at 4.49.09 PM.png

SunshineRay

#13 Post by SunshineRay »

How exciting, congrats!