Oldfart Orthodontic Diary

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

oldfart

Re: Oldfart Orthodontic Diary

#286 Post by oldfart »

I have heard that is a common issue for upper permanent retainers. I can't stand the clear essix retainers which is why i switched to hawleys full time. They are so much cleaner.

Bottom just slides over the teeth. I'll post a pic shortly. Actually have both a permanent and Hawley on the bottom.
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

oldfart

#287 Post by oldfart »

[attachment=0]bottom3.gif[/attachment

Bottom retainer.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Dee17

#288 Post by Dee17 »

Ugh. Looks like it would feel very strange. A lot to get used to, I think. :-(
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
but by the moments that take your breath away.
-- Maya Angelou

[
My story here: [url]http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=42752

and here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42976

My blog: http://dvorahstraintracksadventure.blogspot.ca/

oldfart

#289 Post by oldfart »

Not at all. Doesnt affect speech one bit. Also much easier to clean than the Essix, and kept teeth more table than the Essix which I switched out of.

My top one is a bit annoying as to protect the closure of my posterior open bite I have tongue guards on the side which go about 1/4 inch below my molars. So basically when I talk/sleep/whatever my tongue does not rest on my teeth. Speech is up to about 90% normal with that on. Scroll back a few pages and you can see pics of that. But again, tastes a lot better, easier to clean, and looks better than the plastic essix did.

Dee17

#290 Post by Dee17 »

I like my Essix retainer. I don't think it looks bad at all. You've mentioned that you thought it looked "plastic-y". I only wear mine at night for now. But I have to go back because my orthodontist is going to recement the one back behind my front teeth and give me a more "active" Essix for the top to close the space which has opened up again. I'm glad your retainers don't give you any problems!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
but by the moments that take your breath away.
-- Maya Angelou

[
My story here: [url]http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=42752

and here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42976

My blog: http://dvorahstraintracksadventure.blogspot.ca/

oldfart

#291 Post by oldfart »

I had retention issues before, which is why I am doing both permanent and removable retainers on the bottom. Plus retainer with tongue guard on the top. Kinda over paranoid. As it is, I can only go about four hours during the day before I can identify movement. Hopefully by the end of the year I can get through the day without them and go nights only.

oldfart

#292 Post by oldfart »

It's taken 9 appts after braces were off to get my retainer setup perfect :) It is now perfect. At least as good as its going to get.

mattt

#293 Post by mattt »

Wait, do different types of retainer also taste different? Never heard anything like hat before haha
What do they taste like?

oldfart

#294 Post by oldfart »

The Essix retainer is made of a more porous plastic material which collects bacteria, saliva, food, whatever on it. So it can be completely clean when you put it in, but within 15 min it has a slight coat of stuff on it. After an hour it basically tastes like your teeth do in the morning if you didn't brush them well enough the previous night.

The Acrylic and wire of the Hawley retainer is not as porous and do not collect crap as much on them.

LisainTX

#295 Post by LisainTX »

Oh, oldfart! You are probably off this message board now but I have sat here (while I am supposed to be working) laughing my head off for the past 20 minutes at the posts here. How you have made my day! I hope all is well.

oldfart

#296 Post by oldfart »

Nope I am still here. Lets see, Braces off Dec 2015, was supposed to be full time in retainers for a year. Went about six months before I started slacking, the last two months I've done nights only mostly, and just recently noticed some movement. Not a big deal, but had my top Hawley adjusted so back wearing the beast of a Hawley full time for the rest of the year, and possible into next year.

Oh what fun.. It really doesn't bother me at all, just affects speech. Now if you look closely in the back you can see the posterior tongue guard that is on the top retainer. This is to keep my tongue off my top posterior teeth. The one front incisor is a bit longer than the other, but that's where the movement was also.

Besides that, all is good. Trying to go back to the all day wearing of it. A little tougher after enjoying taking it off during the day over the last few months.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

oldfart

#297 Post by oldfart »

Here is what they look like.
retainers.png

oldfart

#298 Post by oldfart »

Having a "This Retainer is fricking annoying" day... That is all...

sneed1o1

#299 Post by sneed1o1 »

Hey OP, you had a little bit of IPR done right? Can you give me your opinion on it's benefit to closing an underbite or edge-to-edge bite (at least in my case)? Not a very huge space, I'm just talking about helping to bring my bottom teeth back :Questions: