Preparing to get Braces! - almost 30.

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

beckyboo0205

Re: Preparing to get Braces! - almost 30.

#76 Post by beckyboo0205 »

Yikes, I just bought a waterpik too but left the same day it came so I have to wait to try it out... I'm on a work trip. I definately want to try mine first too... and i will only have a week until I get my braces when I return home from this trip. Man, Time flies... but it also drags on at the same time... if that makes sense.

Good luck tomorrow!

Tobilei

#77 Post by Tobilei »

rhibee83 wrote:
Tobilei wrote:I have a generic oral breeze I bought off ebay and I hate it. In fairness I have not tried it in the shower (I need to figure out how to remove the shower bracket from the wall :? ) The water was always too cold and you're not allowed to run water that's too hot through it, plus trying to get the water pressure right was a nightmare (and that was before I even got it in my mouth and got water everywhere!). I was very sad. I wanted to love it so much :( Maybe I need to go and put it in the shower and see how it goes.
I think it would be hard to get the shower bracket from the wall lol, maybe they are made for people that have a bath and shower in one? so that then you have the normal tap and the shower taps. I will just persist with my waterpik and let the water fly around the bathroom until I have it under control hahahaha. The oral breeze DOES sound good tho, but I think it is not suitable for my shower DOH!

Perhaps we should waterpik in the bathtub to prevent the mess :P

plugnickel69

#78 Post by plugnickel69 »

[quote="rhibee83"]So this morning, I tried out my WaterPik. just to see how the gadget works before I have appliances and metal in my mouth! it was the funniest thing ever! lol! I turned it on to see if it would work and WHOOOSH this water flew out of the top and onto the bathroom wall and I couldnt stop laughing and said to myself "well! i guess that works!" lol. :lol: :oops:

rhibee: We probably all go through spraying the mirror the first time using the WaterPik. Put it in your mouth before you allow the water to begin to stream. Keep your lips around it and then let the extra water dribble into the sink as your mouth fills up. Use WARM WATER and the experience will be much more comfortable. It's a great tool, especially to use immediately after you have eaten. Good luck!

rhibee83

#79 Post by rhibee83 »

Ok, so this morning I got my upper lingual arch and nance button in. I AM HATING IT! :(

I have that much saliva and I cannot even swallow properly... I can’t talk properly and everyone at work is looking at me as if I am from another planet.

I HATE THIS :x

Does anyone know how to stop all this salivia? And when I swallow I am scared I am going to push the nance button around as you know how you swallow your tongue hits the roof of your mouth and you kinda suck as you swallow? I feel like I am going to rip the thing right off my roof of the mouth.

Will this damage the metal?

I am so scared I dont want to damage it...

Sorry kids, having a mini break down at the moment and the braces AREN’T EVEN ON! lol :lol:

BTW – I HAVE AN OFFICAL BRACE DATE!!

5th APRIL!!! Brackets go on!! then the following week on the 10th Archwire goes on. WOOHOO!!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

p.s I am at work at the moment so I will reply to any recent or new posts when I get a chance!

Tobilei

#80 Post by Tobilei »

Yay things are moving along! Sorry you're feeling a bit miserable right now. I think that's normal (I was miserable after I got my braces on). I can't speak for the nance button but for the first few hours of having my braces I had all this extra saliva. It was driving me crazy......then all of a sudden my mouth turned into the desert and I spent the next week gulping down massive amounts of water before it settled down and went back to normal. I'm sure the nance will be the same. Your mouth just needs time.

I'm also guessing you can't break it just by swallowing. These things are made to be in our mouths :)

Hope you're feeling better soon!

beckyboo0205

#81 Post by beckyboo0205 »

Oh. Boo! sorry it sucks! What is the Nance button for?

Also boo because I was hoping we'd be braced right around the same day. But it won't be long! Hope things get better.

rhibee83

#82 Post by rhibee83 »

Tobilei wrote:Yay things are moving along! Sorry you're feeling a bit miserable right now. I think that's normal (I was miserable after I got my braces on). I can't speak for the nance button but for the first few hours of having my braces I had all this extra saliva. It was driving me crazy......then all of a sudden my mouth turned into the desert and I spent the next week gulping down massive amounts of water before it settled down and went back to normal. I'm sure the nance will be the same. Your mouth just needs time.

I'm also guessing you can't break it just by swallowing. These things are made to be in our mouths :)

Hope you're feeling better soon!
Hey Tobilei :)

yep I am on track and so excited I have a brace date!! :) yes i am feeling kinda sorry for myself and just wanting to rip this thing out of my mouth :lol: :shock: but tonight I ate some potato gems and a hashbrown and it felt weird trying to chew (still using my very back molars) but i got them down and felt good. Food got stuck in the arch so i just waterpiked it out and it was fine (but i dont want to have to do that everytime i eat, specially at work! I am thinking I might end up taking my waterpik to work like some loser HAHA) :biglaf:

The saliva has calmed down a bit but still finding it hard to talk as that is when the saliva decides to sneak up! embarressing!

I am sure I will get used to it soon, and seeing as I am having teeth out on thursday, i bet i dont even notice it after that cos i will be to busy playing with the extraction holes lol!

hope all is going well for you :)

rhibee83

#83 Post by rhibee83 »

beckyboo0205 wrote:Oh. Boo! sorry it sucks! What is the Nance button for?

Also boo because I was hoping we'd be braced right around the same day. But it won't be long! Hope things get better.
The nance button is attached to my lingual arch, its like the upper molar bands, then the wire and the button is on the roof of my mouth. I will put a picture up soon, but you wont be able to see the nance button but least you will have some idea :)

I know!! i was really hoping to be braced on the 15th AND the ortho said that I could BUT i would be in alot of pain cos I AM GETTING SPACERS AGAIN! so he suggested to leave about 4 weeks AFTER having my teeth out so that my teeth space themselves out and the spacers wont hurt as much before my brackets go on. IT SUX lol and I am so tired of waiting, but i dont want that spacer pain again like last time! lol so i thought okay okay.... 4 weeks until brackets, then the next week archwire..

I bet you are getting excited for your braces! :) least we are kinda going to have them on around about the same time lol well, close I guess! :)

:tingrin: :flowerbloom:

rhibee83

#84 Post by rhibee83 »

Well i made it through the day with this damn lingual arch nance button thingomajig... I ate custard and blended fruit and some pumpkin soup, and protein shakes today. For dinner I had potato gems and some hashbrowns. SO YUM, i tried to chew on the molar bands but it felt weird, so once again, my very back molars are getting a work out lol.

Lots of potato got stuck in the arch but i just used my waterpik and it was fine (cant really do that at work tho!). The excess saliva problem is not AS bad as it was but still not normal, and swallowing is becoming a bit easier but still awkward! Never knew just eating custard with banana would be so hard lol.

I keep having anxiety questioning whether i have done the right thing.... i will just stop and think and realise god.. this is really happening... I am excited but can't help question myself to though. did anyone else think like this at first?

I am very excited though to finally have a FINAL date for my braces!! April 5th! Brackets go on! BUT I will need SPACERS AGAIN! arghhhhhhhhh lol. :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :ThumbsDown: I could of got my braces on next week, BUT the orthodontist recommended I wait until at least 4 weeks after getting my teeth out so that then my teeth will move themselves a bit and then the spacers will not hurt as much. :) SO i thought ok, take his advice he knows best! lol I am so tired of waiting, but its for the best :) I get the brackets first, and then get the archwire on the week after on the 10th of April so i guess i wont be fully braced until then!

did anyone else just get their brackets and then get the archwire on? I guess the brackets go on first with the spacers to make room for the archwire? and then the spacers come out and archwire goes in?

BTW my tummy is STILL playing up... i get some results from the doc on monday in regards to why i have had this bad tummy thing for nearly 3 weeks now.... something is not liking me! :cry:

anyway... i will try and post a pic of the lingual arch, you cant really see much, mainly just the molar bands lol but still! ALSO the ortho gave me the ceramic model of my top teeth , YUK dont realise they are so bad till u see that! lol

:flowerbloom:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

rhibee83

#85 Post by rhibee83 »

MY 5 TEETH GET EXTRACTED TOMORROW!!!!!!!!!!! arghhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh!! :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :yikes: :shock: :crazy:

I am not sure what I am more nervous about... getting the teeth out of having a completly NUMB face most the day...

I just ate porridge, it wasnt to bad, I am trying to get some normal food today (and ignoring the lingual arch lol) as tomorrow it will be PUDDINGS AND ICECREAM BABY! lol

Have a good day everyone. I will check in again tomorrow either before or after my fun dentist trip!

Wishing everyone a pain free day :-*

rhibee83

#86 Post by rhibee83 »

beckyboo0205 wrote:Yikes, I just bought a waterpik too but left the same day it came so I have to wait to try it out... I'm on a work trip. I definately want to try mine first too... and i will only have a week until I get my braces when I return home from this trip. Man, Time flies... but it also drags on at the same time... if that makes sense.

Good luck tomorrow!
The waterpik is AWESOME! People are right, its the best thing ever! I brush, floss, waterpik and then rinse with mouthwash and my mouth has never felt so clean lol. its great around my lingual arch and getting bits stuck in the metal! :)

Hope your work trip is going well and yes I do know what you mean about time flying but then it drags lol! its like the time flies but then when you are SO CLOSE to the big day, it GOES SLOW! everything is a hassle and you just want the big day to come! I get ya :)

have a good one!

oldfart

#87 Post by oldfart »

Take a blanket. That way you can stay warm and a little more comfortable on the ride home. (unless you are driving yourself. Then you are just insane.) If you are, try to get someone to drive you.

Mine did spacers one week, then brackets, bands and wires the next.

My son got something similar to the lingual arch. (Quad Helix) eating and talking for him was tough. Told him for the first two days he could sing along to the radio in the house all he wanted to get used to talking with it in.

Good luck!
Braces on: 2/25/2013. Braces Off: 12/23/2015
Current Retainers: Hawley Top, Essix Bottom, and Permanent Lingual Bottom

rhibee83

#88 Post by rhibee83 »

oldfart wrote:Take a blanket. That way you can stay warm and a little more comfortable on the ride home. (unless you are driving yourself. Then you are just insane.) If you are, try to get someone to drive you.

Mine did spacers one week, then brackets, bands and wires the next.

My son got something similar to the lingual arch. (Quad Helix) eating and talking for him was tough. Told him for the first two days he could sing along to the radio in the house all he wanted to get used to talking with it in.

Good luck!
Hi Oldfart (lol) :)

Thanks for the advice! I live in Australia and at the moment we have just finished summer but it has seemed to stick around and we have a hot hot day tomorrow of 37C degrees! So i dont think I will need a blanket to stay warm lol but I do like that idea if it was cold and I guess the blanket would be kind of calming as well. and nope! I am not driving myself, I am not THAT insane lol, my boyfriend is taking me and taking me home and he has the day off so he can look after me :P

Ok that is good cos I am getting brackets/spacers and then wires the next. I already have the upper molar bands cos of the arch. I am not sure if I need bottom bands? Hope not! Lol

Oh that is so cute that you told him to sing to any songs around the house haha that is a good idea actually!

Thanks heaps :)

Tobilei

#89 Post by Tobilei »

Good luck for tomorrow!

The excess saliva will calm down :) Give it more time. And yep, anxiety is normal I think. I got anxiety when I got mine put on and then a bit of unexpected feeling depressed, but it passed relatively quickly.

I got my brackets and archwires at the same time which I think is most common but I know that there's others on here who waited in between.

beckyboo0205

#90 Post by beckyboo0205 »

I am definately having a bit of that anxiety though mine is of the "omg do I really want to do this to myself!' variety. I'm sure it will still be around after the fact too.

Wow 37C! That's hot! Wherd I am at, it's not even 37F. Try 0C!

Anyhow, good luck tomorrow! I think I am having tooth sympathy pair or something because of f my molars feels weird. I'm worried it's a toothache because I don't want anything to interfere with my braces but I read maybe if you have a sinus infection, your upper teeth can hurt and that's what I'm hoping. Though I'm just diagnosing myself. Ha