Getting braces at 19, very excited!!

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

annashefia

Getting braces at 19, very excited!!

#1 Post by annashefia »

Hi guys! So I have been hooked to this message board for days reading all the stories and hearing all about everyone's experiences and seeing all the amazing changes with all your teeth.

A little background on my teeth I guess as I begin this diary. I have always had crooked teeth and an uneven bite as long as I've had my permanent teeth,(Thanks mom) :P as soon as the age of 13 I was asking for braces but at the time my mom just couldn't afford it so I put up with my smile. I don't think my smile is horrible, but I'm just ready for them to be perfect and more importantly for my bite to be perfect.

Now at 19 I can afford the monthly payments my office is willing to provide (interest free!) which is great, the only way I could without taking out a dreaded loan.
Once I am allowed to post pictures I will show you guys what my teeth look like pre braces!
I have officially gone in for my first orthodontic visit ever and let me tell you I barely slept the night before and finally fell into a hard sleep and didn't wake up to my alarm and almost missed my appt all together! (You should have seen how fast I moved) lol whilst at my appt they did pretty normal stuff (as I've been reading alot about what to expect) they took pictures of my mouth, teeth, profile all the jazz, took the horrid impressions which left my upper right side aching for hours (wah) and sat with the orthodontist as he looked at my mouth and got a basic idea of what my mouth looks like. My ortho says he's very conservative about pulling teeth and does everything else he can before doing extractions, though he was worried about my bottom teeth as they are very crowded, so I am anticipating I will have to get At least one tooth pulled on each side, none on the upper. So I left my orthodontist office on the 23rd of January knowing really nothing.

I have my next appt on the 12th of this month to find out what they plan to do. He said he would send my info to a company who can tell them everything about my mouth, how much room I have, how much bone I have, to be honest I don't really remember why they have to do that, there was so much info being absorbed that kinda fell through the cracks. Once the ortho left I talked a little more with the "new client advisor" telling her that I wanted the self ligating braces as I had heard alot of positive feedback on them and how they are dramatically less painful, she said the ortho will 99.9% probably want to use these type on me. I'm so anxious having to wait for this appointment is killing me!!! I want my braces on ASAP! I'm actually very excited about it, and the pain and discomfort I will go through doesnt scare me either, I've been through worse. Lol I am still confused as how braces actually work to move inward grown teeth out, my front teeth all grow in towards my face not straight across like they should be. I'm very intrigued to find out how it all works!

Anyways enough babble, I will be updating you guys with pics and how my next ortho appt goes. As far as when my braces will go on it probably won't be for at least a month, I have a trip to Hawaii planned for feb 22-28th so I won't want to get them on until afterwards. I honestly thought about canceling the trip but I can wait another month (yes that is how badly I want my braces, I would give up HAWAII!!) haha

Well thanks for reading and ill be on here whenever something happens with my braces and to post pics!

NICURN85

Re: Getting braces at 19, very excited!!

#2 Post by NICURN85 »

Hey Anna,
Welcome to the board!! I am so glad you are able to take the plunge to get braces!! Also, I look forward to following your story. I am glad you did not cancel your trip as you need to have all the fun you can have and eat all the food you want before getting braces. Make sure to EAT UP!!
~KIMMIE

Click here to view my story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42578

Angel269

#3 Post by Angel269 »

Look forward to seeing your photos and hearing more as your journey progresses.

[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

My braces story: http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42457

Impressions-08/06/12
Big Day-22/06/12
Started using Bite Plate-14/07/12
Estimated treatment-8 months (upper ceramics)
Debond date-04/03/13

Tobilei

#4 Post by Tobilei »

Welcome to the board! I 2nd the eating up!!! Enjoy your holiday :)

annashefia

#5 Post by annashefia »

NICURN85 thank you!!! Yes, I am going to be taking advantage of all the food I can before this happens! And thank god I'm staying really busy with work so time is going by fast! Next week I will hear what the a orthodontist has to say!!

Angel269 thank you!!!

Tobilei thank you I will!

:)

annashefia

#6 Post by annashefia »

Hi guys so I wants to post my before pics, like I said i wont be getting braces for a few weeks, but I'm going to be very busy until then so i'm putting them up now.
im getting kinda concerned about how far my upper bite overlaps my bottom teeth, has anyone had this problem and how do they prevent your teeth from knocking the brackets off the bottom?
eek!!! :Questions:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

annashefia

#7 Post by annashefia »

heres a few more pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tobilei

#8 Post by Tobilei »

One of my kids has that problem. It's called a deep bite. Hers is much worse than yours. Her bottom teeth actually grind into the top of her mouth, you can't see them at all when she smiles.

They prevent the top teeth from knocking on the bottom brackets by using either bite turbo's (I think that's what they're called) or molar buildups. Molar buildups are a blue cement kind of stuff that they put on your bottom molars to prevent you from closing your mouth as far as you do now.

The other option is when they put a little metal bracket on the inside of your incisors (I think it's those) and it stops you biting as deeply.

annashefia

#9 Post by annashefia »

Tobilei,
Oh I see! I wonder how either of those will effect my speech or eating, and how long it will take for my teeth to be moved forward? I go to the ortho for more info on the 12th and I'm very anxious as to what they have to say. Thank you for the reply now I can do a little more research!

rhibee83

#10 Post by rhibee83 »

Hi annashefia :)

wow you are going through the same process as me! hehe. how did your second appointment go?

You are so right about them rambling off stuff and not taking it all in. My orthodontist has said all this stuff and i am STILL thinking whaaaaaaaaaaaaat did you say!??? hahaha, I have my next appointment on Tuesday 19th Feb, so hopefully i will have a better understanding then too. I want self ligating braces too! I am not sure if he has this planned for me but I will mention it when i see him.

I hope you enjoy your trip to Hawaii. Do not give up your trip, but i can totally undertsand what you mean about just wanting the braces on!! it is frustrating having to wait!

do you know if you will need teeth out in the end?

Hope it all is going well for you! 8)

annashefia

#11 Post by annashefia »

Hi everyone!
So I am so excited to be posting this update! I went and saw my ortho for my final "treatment plan" discussion and I am SO please with what he has planned for me.
We are for sure doing the self ligating brackets, which I'm not sure if they are any specific brand, he didn't mention anything like that.
The only 2 downsides to my treatment:
1. He is predicting 27 months of treatment, mainly just to make my bite perfect, as you guys can see in my pictures it is very off so when he said that I was not actually that disappointed, I figured it would take more than 2 years, he did say that if I'm really good about my rubber bands and depending on how fast my teeth move the treatment time could be shorter, but honestly time isn't of the essence right now. I'm taking this time to invest in the teeth I will have for the rest of my life, so 2 years is nothing.

2nd thing that took me by surprise was the price...dun dun dun...lol its going to be costing me a little over..wait for it...$7000, yup seven thousand dollars...lol :shock: :crazy: I'm still grasping this, but as I said these will be my teeth until I die (hopefully) so the investment is worth it to me.

we discussed how everything will work as far as the orthodontics, I was having a hard grasping how it all actually moves and works and how my bite will move and align. I actually recorded the entire 40 minute meeting on my iphone just so that I could go back and listen to what he said, there's so much being said by the ortho and a lot of it doesn't always make sense, or I end up forgetting it, lol
I also asked about my deep bite and if I will need bite turbos or bite plate and he said no! This was my biggest concern because in my job I have to talk quite a bit and to have a lisp or speech impediment would drastically lower my confidence at work. :oops:

Another thing we talked about were extractions and he said we wont need to do any extractions! This makes me very happy because unfortunately I HATE the dentist! Rather I just hate my teeth, the last 2 times I've had novacaine it didn't work and I could basically feel everything..yea not fun! So this is awesome. My ortho really hates pulling teeth if he doesn't have to, and I've heard about how it just isn't necessary in most cases anymore with modern technology. 8)

So YAY!! I go in on March 11th to have my braces put on, I am BEYOND excited!! :-* :dance: (He didnt say anything about spacers or anything like that so I'm guessing with self ligating braces you don't need to have bands on the back teeth?) :huh: Even though it is in another month I plan on very much enjoying my vacation, and eating as many chewy gooey sticky foods as possible! lol :BigGrin:

Sorry this turned into such a huge post, I just want to document as much as I can and give as much info as I can to my fellow brace friends!
Thank your for reading!!! :D

rhibee83

#12 Post by rhibee83 »

WOOHOO so excited for you :)

I know what you mean about the cost! it is costing me $6900 and so far i have no idea if that is for self ligating braces or for just standard metal ones! and that is not including the 5 teeth I need out.. that is another $1400 :shock: least there are payment plans for the braces that is for sure!

You have really nice white teeth :) you are gonna have a great smile once the treatment is complete! :)

annashefia

#13 Post by annashefia »

rhibee83 wow 5 teeth?! thats crazy! have you had a few orthodontists tell you this? :?: i would get a few more opinions before taking that many teeth out, and especially for the self ligating brackets they are designed so that you need very little if any extractions. just my 2 sense. :thumbsup:

and thank you so much!! im sooo excited!! im wondering if i should get a full mouth whitening before i start treatment, because only the front teeth are whitened...hmmm maybe. :idea:
and yes im soo glad my office is doing payments! And interest free too, which is just amazing. It would be worth it even if i got a lower quote elsewhere. Im so comfortable with my ortho already and the office is so up to date and high tech.

I wonder if self ligating braces will be more expensive for you? my office said they weren't, only if you were to get the tooth colored ones. Hopefully they arent!!!

Tobilei

#14 Post by Tobilei »

Yay! So glad the news is good and glad you won't need bite turbos. I don't think that price is out of this world or anything. Mine cost me $6800 for the clear S/L uppers and clear lowers.

If you've already had your front teeth whitened, I wouldn't worry about doing it again until after the braces. I've managed to develop some staining on my bottom 2 teeth (which my ortho assures me is normal and will come off when I have them polished when the braces come off). I plan to whiten once I'm done.

annashefia

#15 Post by annashefia »

Tobilei,
omg I was SO relieved when he told me that i didnt need turbos!! :-* I would have been just miserable, he said he has these little cushion type mechanisms that if he feels I need them he just puts them on top on the lower bracket. Him telling me that honestly is worth an extra $2000... :jump: haha not really but that was one of the reasons the price didn't bum me out that much.

And yea i better just wait on the teeth whitening. Ill prop have to do it again afterwards cause im sure i will get some stains too.