Starting 2013 with braces...

If you want to share the detailed saga of your braces story, this is the place to do it. You can use this forum as a braces journal, editing and updating your posts as your treatment goes on. Remember to also visit the main ArchWired.com site for additional stories from other readers!

ATTENTION NEW MEMBERS: Do not post full-face photos or personal contact information on this website. We have had problems with people re-posting members' photos on fetish websites. Please only post photos of your teeth, not your whole face. Keep your email and your personal information private. Thank you.

Moderator: bbsadmin

Tobilei

Re: Starting 2013 with braces...

#31 Post by Tobilei »

Haha, lucky! I hate steamed baby kale at dinner tonight. That stuff wrapped itself around my back bracket so tight I thought I might break them getting it off!

kiwibug

#32 Post by kiwibug »

Wow, time flies! I'll be 4 weeks in on Monday, hard to believe!

Aside from the first 10 days, it's been a breeze for the most part. The first 10 days everything was very tender and I had 3 nasty ulcers all next to eachother. Since they've healed up, I've been able to eat normally and aside from the odd tender tooth, it's going great. I even ate spare ribs last week when we went out for dinner!

I've been back to the orthodontist twice, exactly a week apart. First time was a poky wire that was sticking into my gums.. ouch! Then on Thursday night my wire popped out of my back bracket, so back in on Friday to have that put back in.

I go for my first adjustment on the 18th, excited to see if there's been changes and what's going to happen at the adjustment! :)

Quick question for everyone... how long are your toothbrushes lasting you? I feel like I should just about be getting a new one. The soft ones don't seem to be lasting long, but anything harder is quite sore to use.

I'll post a progress photo soon too :) I don't see much happening, but the orthodontist said if wires are poking, there's definitely movement already! :)

Tobilei

#33 Post by Tobilei »

I'm going through toothbrushes like nobody's business. I use a super soft one because anything more than that really hurts my gumline :( I think I change mine at least once a month because by then it's so fuzzy I'm sure it's not doing much (if I have one that looks particularly bad I'll change it after 3 weeks). Should have bought shares in Oral B :P

iBorg

#34 Post by iBorg »

When I was braced I bought my brushes in bulk at Sam's. Every Sunday night, I'd toss the past weeks and start the week out with a new one.

Seriously.
I wore braces (this time) for 1294 days or 3 years, 6 months and 17 days.
But who's counting?
Jaw Surgery June 1, 2009
Thanks for praying for me and thinking happy thoughts.

Kipepeo

#35 Post by Kipepeo »

iBorg wrote:When I was braced I bought my brushes in bulk at Sam's. Every Sunday night, I'd toss the past weeks and start the week out with a new one.

Seriously.
That's a great idea. I actually like the Rite Aid brand soft brushes in 4 packs, but I'll see if Costco has them.

Dee17

#36 Post by Dee17 »

Hi Kiwibug,
I'm glad to see you finally got wired up. Love your purple ligs. They look so cute!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
but by the moments that take your breath away.
-- Maya Angelou

[
My story here: [url]http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=42752

and here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42976

My blog: http://dvorahstraintracksadventure.blogspot.ca/

kiwibug

#37 Post by kiwibug »

Thanks everyone :) I'll go pick up some spare soft brushes tomorrow, this one is getting pretty fuzzy and I'm getting the odd hair stuck in a bracket, not fun!

Thanks Dee! :) It took ages to get there, but I'm so happy to finally be on my way! I'm still amazed at how many people havent noticed or only just noticed in the last week, despite seeing me every week. I'm loving the purple too, but think I might go for something a bit brighter next time :)

kiwibug

#38 Post by kiwibug »

Grrrrrrrr! Wire has just come loose again, 2nd time in 3 weeks. So frustrating! I go in Monday for an adjustment so I'll just leave it and let them know when I get there Monday. In a way, I'm hoping I get a thicker wire on Monday!

kiwibug

#39 Post by kiwibug »

Last time I went in for poky wires, I was asked if I'd seen any movement. Nope! I was told from the start I wouldn't see much to start with since they're trying to rotate a few teeth and nothing else just yet.
Up until last week there was the odd day of sore canines where they've put wire ties on, but nothing I could visibly notice.
Now I feel like the extraction gaps have closed a little (could be my imagination) and a gap has opened up on the bottom. Grrr! Can't wait for my adjustment Monday to see what the orthodontist says! Hoping there's been some progress.
I'll attach a couple photos from this morning. Hadn't brushed yet, so please excuse the yuckiness.
Definitely notice now how far out the midline is! I'll have to go back and see if its always been that way!

The purple has faded heaps as well :( think I'm going to go a bit brighter this time :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

kiwibug

#40 Post by kiwibug »

Yup, gonna be tender tomorrow! Just had my first adjustment about 2 hours ago... They've brought out the big guns!
Top wire went from 14 to 19, much thicker! Hopefully that'll stop it popping out, but also means much more pressure already!
Bottom wire is also thicker, don't remember numbers for that one. They've put a power chain on the bottom too. Yup, ouchies!
He said he's happy with progress so far, wants to probably start elastics next time. Eep!

New photo too, went a bit brighter this time :)

Does anyone know what the kink is for on the top wire between the 2 front teeth? Didn't notice it until I was back in the car so couldn't ask
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tobilei

#41 Post by Tobilei »

I had one of those kinks last month too, then this last adjustment a few days ago I got 2. I don't know what they're for either though :( I love the pink!

Lirvinrn

#42 Post by Lirvinrn »

Hey. Haven't been here in a while. Had 3 adjustments so far. Switched to latex-free bands which made a huge difference!! My adjustment today was with a different tech and she was a little rough. Was trying to put a new, thicker wire on top and actually popped a bracket off. Is this normal? The doc had to come put a new one on and they went down a size on the wire. On the way home, I noticed my top and bottom wire on left are both poking out. The top is rubbing my cheek. Had to put wax on it. Just annoyed that the experienced wasn't good today. I love the other tech and told the appt girl I only want her from now on. So about these wires, can I just cut it down myself? I work and couldn't get back there for another week.

Tobilei

#43 Post by Tobilei »

Lirvinrn wrote:Hey. Haven't been here in a while. Had 3 adjustments so far. Switched to latex-free bands which made a huge difference!! My adjustment today was with a different tech and she was a little rough. Was trying to put a new, thicker wire on top and actually popped a bracket off. Is this normal? The doc had to come put a new one on and they went down a size on the wire. On the way home, I noticed my top and bottom wire on left are both poking out. The top is rubbing my cheek. Had to put wax on it. Just annoyed that the experienced wasn't good today. I love the other tech and told the appt girl I only want her from now on. So about these wires, can I just cut it down myself? I work and couldn't get back there for another week.
Hi. Yep, popped brackets happen. My ortho popped one of mine off last adjustment, they just put a new one on. Sorry to hear about the pokey wires. I seem to get those every adjustment but 24-48 hours later they're fine. Pop some wax on, give it a couple of days and if they keep poking you might need to go back in. Some people trim their own wires, I don't think I'd be game enough though.

Dee17

#44 Post by Dee17 »

I've been fortunate and haven't had any pokey wires yet. I do have one bracket on the far back that has a very rough edge and is always catching on the inside of my lip so I'm going to ask them about it when I go in the next time. I don't think I'd be able to trim my own wires. Eeek! That sounds just a bit too much for me!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths you take,
but by the moments that take your breath away.
-- Maya Angelou

[
My story here: [url]http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?t=42752

and here:
http://www.archwired.com/phpbb2/viewtop ... =9&t=42976

My blog: http://dvorahstraintracksadventure.blogspot.ca/

kiwibug

#45 Post by kiwibug »

Wow, been a while since I've updated! I've had 2 adjustments now and many more trips in between for poky wires and popped off o rings. So far so good after the last adjustment.

Last adjustment they put a thicker wire on top, extended the chain on the bottom to 2 more teeth and added a chain all the way across at the top. Queue 10 days of absolute agony! Despite painkillers every 3 hours, I went 10 days without eating. So glad to be through that again! I was thrilled when he said he'd changed his mind on elastics for now! :) I was a bit disappointed at not getting a top colour this time (and paranoid about staining!) so I got nice bright pink on the bottom :)
Just over 3 weeks until the next adjustment.

My front teeth are touching for the first time ever which is really exciting! The only change I've really noticed so far.

Another photo attached from yesterday :)